Roughly how many miles do the Gen-1 motors hang in there for?

07BUSA420

Registered
Hi,

I know this is kind of a dumb question as it depends greatly on many factors such as how often/long your tach sees 9,000 rpm, how often you change your oil and even if you let your 'busa warm up on that first start of the day before you take off. That being said, there has got to be an "average" lifespan to these motors, any clue what that is for a non boosted, regularly serviced 1299cc? Also when they do go, do they usually knock, tap and smoke for a while first, or when they go do they usually just $h!t and lock up?
How much if any does a turbo reduce that lifespan or is it still mainly dependent on the above ,mentioned variables?
Thanks!

I don't know that anyone can give you a good answer, but we have a lot of members above 100K miles. There's a mileage thread or two around. I've enjoyed trouble free experience with two. My current ride is nearing 50K. Turbo and other major modifications will reduce the lifespan. Others will be along while you search for those threads.

With normal maintenance for the most part these engines are bulletproof.

Do you have a specific reason to ask this question?

I have heard nothing but great comments about 03 and up! Only issues with the pre 03 that I've read was the starter clutch and the fuel pump issues!
Other then that I have heard not but great things! I used to have a Zx12 and folks who own them during it's day no matter what comparison they did to the busa all had to give it up when it came to how solid the busa's motor is!

With normal maintenance for the most part these engines are bulletproof.

Do you have a specific reason to ask this question?

I was asking because I have an 07 Busa with 12k (I even had the 12K service done at 11,500 by the dealership) that only had the original owner (an older dude) before me.
I am on top of maintenance and warm ups, but I am bad for winding her up in the 180's on I-95 for s few exits (as long as traffic is lite) and did not want to throw a rod at those speeds/RPMs was all.
Also I wanted to know how much longer I had to play for this motor before I use it as a trade in core and get a 1397 with a stage 2 turbo built by APE. :thumbsup:
It has a new set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's, a Power Commander 3, K&N air filter, Headers, muzzy tuned pipe, and what I THINK is an 8 inch stretch by C&S Customs.

50k on mine and the only issue was the detent spring for the shifter breaking. Easy, cheap fix. It's bullet proof. As long as your not missing second gear all the time. Well, any sport bike will mess up the trans if your missing shift's.

one of my reasons for going with the busa..was the engine.. i have heard nothing but good stuff..get all fluids done regularly and use quality stuff..

keep up on maintenance and your golden..

off topic..

had a 1995 gsxr 1100.. for many years...a little finicky on the carbs.. but that engine is also well known for there durability..

:beerchug:

Awesome!
Thanks for the replies.
I will feel much better now when I am hauling ass down the roads at high RPMs.
Crack 'em open boys, these bikes are not meant to go the speed limit and you only get tickets IF you pull over!!! :-)

One of my best riding buddies has a 01 that is sitting at 108k miles and he rides it like he stole it routinely..does his usual maintenance intervals 3-5k miles based on oil usage...Still runs strong and pulls like the day he bought it...as many stated above already. This is Suzuki's Flagship Motor design, its really a bullet proof motor.

I have several friends that have over 100k on their bikes. I'm at 50k on mine with no problems. Most important thing is maint., like everyone is saying.

Riding like that, you will bend some shift fork or other before you bend some engine part.

Riding like that, you will bend some shift fork or other before you bend some engine part.

What is a shift fork (feel dumb asking "what is a ANYTHING as I am pretty handy but...) so I can check it every so often as I am 230 and going over I-95 bridges above 180 can be be a bit rough. I have "hypothically" only felt the forks bottom out twice (IF that were the case, it would have been on the same trip, outrunning the man through parking lots of a truck stop near 95). I checked for any fork oil leaks and it seems to be fine. The welds on Busas are PERFECT but are there any other weak spots I should keep an eye on so I do not become a greasy spot on I-95.

B2.jpg

B5.jpg

B8.jpg

To make you feel better, here is something I remember reading a long time ago, although my memory could falter me: either they were doing it on purpose, or accidentally, but during the testing the motor was left at redline under load for hours. After a disassembly and post inspection which followed, absolutely nothing was found which could suggest any kind of failure. These engines are designed to regularly hit the redline, which I don't think you would be hitting at 180 because your rev limiter kicks in unless it was removed.

To make you feel better, here is something I remember reading a long time ago, although my memory could falter me: either they were doing it on purpose, or accidentally, but during the testing the motor was left at redline under load for hours. After a disassembly and post inspection which followed, absolutely nothing was found which could suggest any kind of failure. These engines are designed to regularly hit the redline, which I don't think you would be hitting at 180 because your rev limiter kicks in unless it was removed.

Great to know!
The limiter was done away with when the PC3 and headers were installed.
I have hit 191mph so far though my tires need to be upgraded to Dunlops to make a habit of riding at those speeds.
I found a sponsor of this site that sells a mounting hit so as to hide a 2lb nitrus bottle under the rear hump (sleeper hidden mount). That will most likely be my next upgrade I make.

i can tell you from reading your messages that motor will out last you for sure. till you god forbid lose it at 180 on public roads. Shift forks are in the transmission and can bend every now and then if you are banging gears. Most often its the lower gears.

i can tell you from reading your messages that motor will out last you for sure. till you god forbid lose it at 180 on public roads. Shift forks are in the transmission and can bend every now and then if you are banging gears. Most often its the lower gears.

I never ride above my abilities or comfort level... hell, I do not even lay on the tank till around 130 mph. I am looking in to a Spyder NO2 setup for it now! ;-)
With the shift fork things will something just no longer work if you bend one, or is there a specific sound/symptom that would alert me to a problem in that department?
P.S. Ask Dale Earnheart Sr about just HOW safe a "closed track", "professional" drivers, roll bars, and 6 point harness are! ;-)
I ride like I am invisible as PLAN on stupid drivers doing the unexpected. How fast DO YOU LADIES ride your Hayabusas on the public roads!? Maybe some of you should look in to a nice Honda Shadow 250cc (or a Hardly Ableson), and sell that poor under-revved 'Busa to somebody with the balls to turn it loose!
TITTIES! :-)

Back