Any of you ever had to lay down you busa? What happened to the bike afterwards?

The Extreme

Registered
I had to lay down my 99 Busa so I did not go head on into another car. Bike has some good scratches on the right side.
Along with a noise coming from the rights side of the bike when it is on. Adjuster is coming on Thursday to look at it I hope they don't total it out.
I feel like crap about even though I know better the bike than me. It's a 99 though :( a little bit of me died inside when I looked back and saw my baby on the ground.

Good luck with the insurance adjuster..

There is never a good reason to "lay a bike down" they stop and turn much better on the tires than they do sliding on plastic/metal.

Sorry about your bike bud but I agree with the above statement. If you have time to purposefully lay your bike down you have time to maneuver or stop. The best thing that can come out of ANY wreck is that you learn from the experience and better yourself for the next time.

List up the parts you need for the bike as some of us probably have some of what you need just lying around.

I didn't intentionally lay mine down, it just worked out that way twice, once at 50 and once at 90.. Other than replacing the fairings (good luck finding 99 colors), I spent less than $100 on cases each time. I didn't replace everything that got a scratch on it though, only if it was obvious. And I have some great friends that gave me some parts.

The important thing is that you're alive! While it sucks because we get attached to our bikes, at the end of the day it's easy enough to get another bike or even build it up compared to suffering a severe injury or worse!

Good luck, hope things work out the way you want them to (all things considered of course).

This is the only time I've heard about someone intentionally laying down a bike to avoid an accident outside of the Harley forums.

Would you believe that some avoid helmets too, because they believe it poses a greater risk of snapping your neck?

Sorry, not meaning to rag on you, I feel that any positive attention to dropping a bike intentionally only encourages others to think it is an acceptable solution to avoiding an accident. That will do more harm than good.

Sorry to hear about your get-off, but I kinda don't get laying a bike down on purpose, it will stop faster on it's tires than on it's side. If the bike didn't hit anything, then you laid it down for nothing. I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where crashing to avoid crashing, makes sense.

Easy to judge when no one was there except the OP.

99.9% of the time we would all agree that it's better to use the brakes.
We also know that brakes are most effective when the bike is upright.
In a turn or leaned over and traction disappears very quickly.

Who wouldn't lay down their bike if a baby crawled out (between parked cars?) in front of you with no time to hit the brakes?

How many of you practice pulling the front brake lever in half way, giving the forks a chance to compress the weight
of the bike forward and on to the front wheel and then pull it in the rest of the way to stop as quickly as possible.
Practice this until it becomes muscle memory.

It takes about 1 second to get your hand on the lever. At 60mph 1 second is 88 feet. At 30mph 1 second is 44 feet.
I sure you get my point. Many times in city riding I cover the front brake lever. But I still can't stop on a dime.

For some reason the OP thought it was better to do what he did in the second he had to decide.
We all make mistakes and when you only have one second to decide there is no guarantee that every single time
you or I will always make the right one. JMHO

I repainted the bike, replaced the stator cover and exhaust, and kept riding. lots of good folks on here hooked me up with replacement parts, oem cans, mirror, bar ends, a clutch lever, etc. ended up fixing it all for less than 500 bucks. the pay it forward thread was a huge help. i've still got those stock cans if you need them. let me know, i'm back in the states in about two weeks, if you cover the shipping, they're yours.

I left the lightly scratched plastics on mine as a reminder to keep my ego in check. My get off was unintentional but a bone head move on my part. Rider stupidity is painful and expensive.

My friend laid mind down avoiding a head on. The van ran mine over. All plastics broken, both wheels cracked, front rotors bent, front forks bent, right front caliper mount broken, headlight broken, windscreen gone, stator cover shattered, radiator toast, header creased.

Fixed it all with used parts and painted for about 1,400$

****edit: mine was totaled obviously****

I can think of a few cases where you might lay the bike down but it would be if something was coming at you that could not be avoided and you felt it was better to be under it than hit it. Insurance companies really piss me off. They total bikes because it's cheaper to give you a low total out price and then they salvage the bike and make most of it back. With a name like fallenarch I obviously have had a few drops! I still say MAACO is a crasher's best friend!

I laid it down to avoid: is an excuse, not a process!

Ha my friend learned that. He was at a relatively low speed making a left. The van ran the read light heading towards him. He basically decided to jump of (not sure of left or right of the bike). Guess the van didn't expect that and while trying the avoid the bike it hit him.

image-3375511591.jpg

image-4098056311.jpg

image-3375511591.jpg

Well I never laid mine down but I got it for free because the last owner dropped it. But I had to replace a mirror and rear sub frame. And I still have to replace the gas tank and the hump thing that replaces the rear seat. Nothing mechanical everything else is straight I.e. forks frame rims etc.

Thanks for all the support guys. Taking it all in as wisdom. Still waiting to see what the insurance guys say.

Love Live and Ride.

I unintentionally laid mine down last year. The only major damage was the right lower fairing. It took me about six months of searching, but I found a fairing on eBay that was in decent shape in my factory colors. I slapped that on there at least for now. It still could use some touch ups and buffing, but it looks a whole lot better than the ground through and cracked one. :) Frame sliders can reduce damage too (no guarantee, but worth it IMO). I just installed the t-rex ones on my bike and my wife's CBR250R and I like them a lot!

Back