Supermoto......

GNBRETT

Registered
been lookn at few. I don't really know much about them. can anyone school me on wat to look for and wat to avoid? definitely buying one used and wud prefer one with mods already so I don't hav to dump too much money into it.

what type of maintenance do they require and wat brands are most popular? thanx

Whatever you do despite what U read on paper DO NOT buy a Husqvarna!!! 2 of my friends bought em despite my warnings and they are the biggest pieces of chit I've ever seen! Literally 1 problem after another top bottom left 2 right.... Electrical, mechanical, U name it! they have gremlins all thru them. And to top it off the warranty/customer service sucks as well! On paper they look good but real world riding 4get about it :whistle:

Please do!!! :please:

I can see maybe 1 bike but 2 bikes having more problems than its worth! They bought the bikes and spent more time taking it back 2 the dealership than actually riding them. I honestly bet those bikes spent more hours in the dealership than in their own garages.... These were both brand new bikes, not used or beat and they couldn't stay running :banghead:

I'd recommend KTM or that Honda 450X

I looked at the KTM and the honda but it seems that the honda has a lot of maintenance. I read that it requires a piston change every 15 hrs or so. I want somthn to have fun with not somthn thats a headache

I looked at the KTM and the honda but it seems that the honda has a lot of maintenance. I read that it requires a piston change every 15 hrs or so. I want somthn to have fun with not somthn thats a headache

:shocked: What is that a 3 stroke?

ive heard good on the ktms as well. Someone on here just got one i cant for the life of me remember who...

My son transform a YZ450 to a street legal supermotto,which he sold....Said he would buy a KTM if he ever wanted another

My Ex Girlfriend had a Suzuki DRZ-400SM and it was a great little super moto, came all set up for the streets and a reasonable price new can get em used all day...fun little bike, wheelies like a champ...the 400cc motor is a bit underpowered for the streets if your doing any normal riding with sport bikes, but as a Supermoto its a sweet little toy... Plus it's a Suzuki... so a Win Win...

KTM's are pretty bad ass though and the beefier motor seems to make a big difference...

+1 on avoiding HUsaberg and Husqvarna, I owned a husky 610 and it nearly killed me twice because the carb would choke while leaned over. Also, the timing chain is a nightmare to maintain.

The drz400sm is a great street supermoto, I owned an 07 and while it is a bit underpowered, it has dec ent handling and is very reliable. I now have a dr650 which i converted to supermoto and love it! The bigger motor will allow you to easily cruise at 80 but it is a bit heavier so, I keep it on pavement. If you put knobbies, it does well off-road.

yea I'm a little worried that anything under 500cc will be a little slow for the street. KTM seems like a possibility for sure.

yea I'm a little worried that anything under 500cc will be a little slow for the street. KTM seems like a possibility for sure.

Problem with KTM is that the really good supermotos are not sold in the US. I have not checked recently but there is a model (superduke...I think) which is supposed to be a really solid bike.

As good as they are, avoid the Aprillias as well, they are very high maintenance.

Lastly, the drz with the big bore kit is an amazing bike,a friend I raced with had one and I did not want to give it back after he let me take it for a spin. Upgrade the carb and drop a big bore kit and it becomes an animal and still remains reliable. Checkout supermotojunkie.com if you want more details.

My fav KTM on turn 8 last year.

image-245938368.jpg

image-245938368.jpg

SuperMoto....the most fun you'll ever have with 40hp:laugh:
You'll notice all kinds of hills, curbs(ramps), yards and various other places to get arrested, as they are just too tempting not to ride through:laugh:

RAYDOG just got a KTM! It is such an amazing bike, been on most of em and the 525 electric start makes me ride so much faster and makes me think I'm better than I am! I can't imagine how fast it would be as a supermoto but I'd hate to compromise the offroad capabilities. Google Supermoto and look for the Forum, it's got great info for you to read. Good luck! Doyle

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004 (13).jpg

IMG_0003 (10).jpg

Whatever you do despite what U read on paper DO NOT buy a Husqvarna!!! 2 of my friends bought em despite my warnings and they are the biggest pieces of chit I've ever seen! Literally 1 problem after another top bottom left 2 right.... Electrical, mechanical, U name it! they have gremlins all thru them. And to top it off the warranty/customer service sucks as well! On paper they look good but real world riding 4get about it :whistle:

I have a Husky TE610ie, not much difference between the Supermoto, just wheels and sprockets. Had it since 2008, purchased new, been through mud, water, up and down rocks, 105mph on paved road and not a thing. Runs perfect. Did the Trans American Trail last year, from NC, all the way through to OR, just put in gas, nothing else needed. As with all my bikes I do my own service, my timing chain still shows no wear. There is no comparison to a DRZ400 in terms of power and suspension. Some folks spend up to $4,000 on DRZ mods and they still can't match a Husky.

There are a number of die hard Husky riders that love these bikes for their versatility and Italian character, the problem is BMW purchased Husqvarna, adulterated the brand, sold it to KTM. KTM just sold the engine technology to Gas Gas. So, if you buy a new Husqvarna, it is a rebadged KTM.

Problem with KTM is that the really good supermotos are not sold in the US. I have not checked recently but there is a model (superduke...I think) which is supposed to be a really solid bike.

As good as they are, avoid the Aprillias as well, they are very high maintenance.

Lastly, the drz with the big bore kit is an amazing bike,a friend I raced with had one and I did not want to give it back after he let me take it for a spin. Upgrade the carb and drop a big bore kit and it becomes an animal and still remains reliable. Checkout supermotojunkie.com if you want more details.
yea buddy says Aprilla is a lotta maintenance. ill chk out that site thanx

My fav KTM on turn 8 last year.

View attachment 274170
convinced a friend of mine to buy an RC8 last year. badass bike. he's no racer. kind of a squid actually but he loves the bike. I doubt he's even tank it to redline yet....lol

SuperMoto....the most fun you'll ever have with 40hp:laugh:
You'll notice all kinds of hills, curbs(ramps), yards and various other places to get arrested, as they are just too tempting not to ride through:laugh:
nice! yea I'm jus lookn for somthn to bang around with. well ur the stunt junkie so what are ur thoughts on these for doin wheelies?:thumbsup:

RAYDOG just got a KTM! It is such an amazing bike, been on most of em and the 525 electric start makes me ride so much faster and makes me think I'm better than I am! I can't imagine how fast it would be as a supermoto but I'd hate to compromise the offroad capabilities. Google Supermoto and look for the Forum, it's got great info for you to read. Good luck! Doyle
kool. will do thanx

Motards are excellent for wheelies

You can watch them all day on Youtube

Supermoto Wheelie on Youtube - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back