To chain guard or not to chain guard, that is the question?

Excursion05

Registered
When I bought my Busa it was stretched 6" and did not have a chain guard. I ordered a cheap but decent looking enough one but discovered I'd have to modify it because the top part touches the tire because of the stretch. I know, rookie mistake. :banghead:

Anyway, now I'm thinking I might just run without it. Any thoughts or opinions?

you will really be missing it when that chain breaks and takes a chunk out of your leg.

Every bike I have owned over the past decade had the chain guard removed before it made it's maiden voyage. It's such a PITA to clean and maintain the chain with the chain guard in place.

I would keep a chain guard, if you need to find another check out Tiger Racing.

I have them extended in stock, they come notched for tire. you may still have to slightly bend away from tire...

When chains break I have seen the slapped engine / water pump, destroyed tail section, or it spit it out the back ( 1 reason not to stand behind bikes at the drag strip). It could just as easy fly up and hit your leg / thigh if there is no guard. The stock ones are plastic which is ok for grease / lube....the tiger ones are a decent gage aluminum...meets requirements for some race classes...way better than plastic.

When chains break I have seen the slapped engine / water pump, destroyed tail section, or it spit it out the back ( 1 reason not to stand behind bikes at the drag strip). It could just as easy fly up and hit your leg / thigh if there is no guard. The stock ones are plastic which is ok for grease / lube....the tiger ones are a decent gage aluminum...meets requirements for some race classes...way better than plastic.
I'll promise you that plastic eats a lot of energy, and is a heck of a lot better than my leg / arm.

It's not that I don't like my left leg, as in I don't particularly want to lose it, but after 7 knee surgeries we aren't on speaking terms any more. :whistle:

I have them extended in stock, they come notched for tire. you may still have to slightly bend away from tire...

That sounds just like what I need. Oddly the one I got was listed as extended and is technically long enough, but the notch is in the wrong place. Any measurement that I need to take to make sure I get the right one?

Golden Child here on the .Org is a Tiger Racing Dealer and can get you anything you want from our website. We can also drop ship for him if you want. We have a complete selection of chain guards for stock mounting up to 12" over and custom mounts up to 18" over.

Tiger Racing Hayabusa Chain Guards

Last edited:
Took my chain guard off years ago on the Gen-I.

No issues. Love the open look.

Img_0012_BolinasTire.jpg

1500_Dsc08087.jpg

Left stock one on with Gen-II.

Img_0012_BolinasTire.jpg

1500_Dsc08087.jpg

i run a Tiger Racing chainguard. I realy like it. Tuff and Pashnit are smart fellas too.

looks like it's up to you. :beerchug:
what do you like?

I'm on the fence. If you maintain your chain and replace it at regular intervals there is no need to be concerned about breakage. BUT accidents happen and when they do...would you rather be wishing you'd left the guard on it? its sort of like taking the airbags out of a car because I don't intend on crashing it, and I like having a place to store my skittles on road trips. I tend to be more concervative with bikes, i'd leave it.

-D

Back