Wnat to buy an ultrasonic cleaner but need advice

cyclefarm

Registered
I'm in the market for an ultrasonic cleaner for my motorcycle and car parts projects. need one big enough for a 2 brrl carb and a rack of 4 carbs from a bike (or throttle bodies). Several on ebay for $250-$450 but they are Chinese made and I don't know how good they'll work or how long they'll last. Does anyone have real world experience or know someone who does?

Thanks,
Ed

and yes I know how to spell want lol

Spend the money and buy American. I bought Chinese for my tattooing stuff and it broke in less than a week. Seriously, buy American

I'm in the market for an ultrasonic cleaner for my motorcycle and car parts projects. need one big enough for a 2 brrl carb and a rack of 4 carbs from a bike (or throttle bodies). Several on ebay for $250-$450 but they are Chinese made and I don't know how good they'll work or how long they'll last. Does anyone have real world experience or know someone who does?

Thanks,
Ed
and yes I know how to spell want lol

Ed- we purchased one for the shop with the intent of replacing our old outlawed carb solvent and found that after spending close to $1700 on a 7 gallon unit, it was a POS. We went through different soaps and other pathetic suggestions the manufacturer had and after spending another few hundred dollars, returned it for a refund, which took another two months. They are not all they are cracked up to be, regardless of anything you may have heard. I tested mine on a variety of carbs and found it to be substandard for the claims made and the money spent. Whether you go Chinese or American, you will regret it. And although you will see numerous negatives about the various solvents out there - Zep, Gunk, Berryman Chem Dip - the best one that is still out there would be the Safety Kleen carb solvent. They apparently have not changed their formula over the past decade, and we currently use the Safety Kleen carb solvent in an agitator tank with excellent results. Good luck . . .

Ultrasonic cleaners only clean carb varnish fair at best. They are however good at making any small parts you forgot to remove permanent non-removable. :banghead: (don't ask me how I know!)

RYC1966: Do you have one of those Fisher cleaners you linked to? If so, does it work good for cleaning carburetors?

Thanks for the advice on the Chinese machines, I really didn't want to spend $350 on an experiment.

I'm disappointed to hear from some of you that ultrasonics don't work well for dirty motorcycle carbs. Man, I HATE carb cleaner. Last I used dip type carburetor cleaner was in 2001, I can still smell it on my hands lol.

we've got a 100 gallon ultrasonic cleaner at work. put the lips of my ccw's in there to clean them and ended up with tons of **** and lots of pitting on the metal.

I do have one... x and y axis or both...I have used it to clean carb parts / bodies / and the fuel bowls...jewelry and just about anything that will fit in it.

I bought a Branson model 3510 cleaner. The tank holds about 1.5 gallons of cleaner/water. It cost me $850. I bought it for cleaning small small carbs and parts for my older snowmobiles and bikes. I use a tank in a tank setup: the cleaner's tank holds water and I immerse another tank with the carb cleaner in it. The Branson unit has heated tank. I have used ultrasonic tanks for years at work. We have 2 ultrasonic cleaning systems at work: heated ultrasonic detergent tanks and heated ultrasonic water rinse tanks. For detergent we use a caustic powder, don't know the brand or product name, which cuts grease and grime really well but will attack aluminum if you leave the parts soaking too long. I have not found a replacement cleaner for carbs with comes close to good old carb cleaner. The tank in a tank method for small carbs works well for me, pleased with the results. A good ultrasonic cleaner is pricey, I would not sink any money into Chinese-made units.

Jim

Back