Anyone use a cruise control. need your advise.

jch364

Registered
I was really thinking of getting a cruise control this year because i am planning on a trip across route 66 to Madrid NM.
Now i found the ccs100 from murphskits.com and i sent them an email and i need to get the one with the relay switch I guess so altogether its about $200 or so. Has anyone used one of these? I know that they are not specific at all to bikes but work well supposedly. Also what about the install. I am concerned that it will be way over complicated to do. I dont even understand how they work yet so Im a bit timid about it.
thoughts or ideas appreciated

There are several pinned threads, I will try to do some searching for you but to answer your questions many have cruise...

Not a true cruise control but I run the throttlemeister throttle lock and love it! It is only a throttle lock but works great for giving your hand a break on the level stretches of road. Also installation is super simple and quick.

I have that cruise on my '05 and it works great. The install looks intimidating but just go one wire at a time and you'll be fine. I tried it without the vacuum bottle and with it and I didn't notice any difference so it probably isn't required. Here's another write up. True Cruise Control

being too dumb to tackle DIY electrical work, I went with this one (been on many multi-day LD trips and it works)
https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/appguide-6CB03-static.php

6CB03%20on%20Bike.jpg

I was really thinking of getting a cruise control this year because i am planning on a trip across route 66 to Madrid NM.
Now i found the ccs100 from murphskits.com and i sent them an email and i need to get the one with the relay switch I guess so altogether its about $200 or so. Has anyone used one of these? I know that they are not specific at all to bikes but work well supposedly. Also what about the install. I am concerned that it will be way over complicated to do. I dont even understand how they work yet so Im a bit timid about it.
thoughts or ideas appreciated

Where have you been that you have not seen all of the posts about the CCS-100 (vacuum or electronic)? I installed the vacuum and did a write-up that you can find in my signature below. I use my cruise control every time I am on the bike now. It has increased my MPG for my 120 mile commute to 52-53 MPG because I am not constantly adjusting the throttle. It is by for the best mod I ever did to the Hayabusa.

EDIT: There used to be some problems with the electronic version of the CCS-100 and the Gen II, but it appears they have ironed those issues out. Although, when I installed mine, the vacuum version was a proven method, that is why I went with it and also it is installed on my 1992 F-150, so I have spare parts available if I need them.

I installed the electric version made by Rostra last winter. Bought it from the Cruise Control Store, online. They ship out MI and will get to you in a couple of days in Dayton. Purchased the keypad with engagement light and two additional relays (needed on extra because of LED brake light). I mounted the servo in the trunk (Trunk mod is necessary) and ran the wires along the frame in a loom. I installed it over a week, couple of hours at a time. I spliced into the secondary harnesses and soldered all of my connections. Made a wiring diagram to keep all of the colors straight. It works really well...just like a car! The most frustrating part was finding someplace to secure the cable and then connecting the cable at the throttle body. Good luck!!!

Unfortunately I never got my Rostra to work. I ended up removing it from my bike. I tried every setting possible and it would engage for a few seconds and then disengage
or surge up and down and then finally disengage. I had looked at dozens of posts and it seems that there is almost no problem installing it on a Gen II but for some reason very few people have gotten
them to work correctly on a Gen I.

So, it looked like the OP has a Gen I, maybe he will get lucky. I just wanted to give a heads up that it may not work like it should.

Now if we could only talk Suzuki into making it standard equipment :)
That would be a good reason to upgrade to a new one!

I've been using my throttlemeister for a season now and works flawlessly. I don't see the point in somethn electric when the TM is available. I wud not want anything electric controlling my throttle anyway.

I will have to look at my drawings, but i believe there is one or two wires that are not needed on the installation from the true cruise gen 2 style post above. the change is on one of the relays. I can get some actual electrical drawings that I made up and scan them in if wanted, that is if i can find them. The installation is actually very simple. If needed pm me and I will help you in any way i can. I have had it on my bike for 2 years and it has worked flawlessly since. It is wanderful for droning down the highway and not having change in speed due to hills.

i appreciate everybody's posts. i actually did try the search but came up blank when i typed in ccs100. at any rate this should help. the website i looked at suggested the vacuum canister over the full electric for my g1 so I may go that route after i have time to look into the posts threads here in greater detail.

For some reason I remember the biggest difference in the GenII and GenI was the VSS wire had to be connected, and that could be only on the electric versions. The GenII requires the Variable Speed Sensor be connected, its located on the left frame rail just above the clutch housing, pink wire with a tracer.

Have 80-85,000 with my 05 Busa on the servo :laugh: I installed the CCS100 on a couple of bikes a few years ago. Had the install down to about 4 hours. Much better option than a throttle lock.

i have a throttlemeister and have used it but i really dont care for it honestly. Rather use a cramp buster. But with a trip like i am planning covering just at 3000 miles i think i will do the cruise control. i think it would be worth every penny and more,

i have a throttlemeister and have used it but i really dont care for it honestly. Rather use a cramp buster. But with a trip like i am planning covering just at 3000 miles i think i will do the cruise control. i think it would be worth every penny and more,

I have had both, the cruise beats anything hands down. Set it and relax.

Back