don't know where to start

edouble88h

Registered
Hello all,
I have searched various threads trying to find a "could be" answer and really have not narrowed it down so here goes. When I'm WOT it feels as if the rear tire is simply spinning and I'm not going anywhere. Then when I attempt to change gears I get this awful grinding noise. However none of this happes when I'm taking my time commuting to work. Any ideas would be helpful so I can remedy the issue before I do some serious damage. I have a 99 with dual intakes, full brocks alien head, with approx 31k miles. Thanks

I heard that and the slipping could be my transmission. I have never changed the clutches in the 5 years that I've owned her and not sure if it was ever done.

When I'm WOT it grinds going to the next gear on matter what gear I'm starting in. Normal riding conditions i have no issues.

What do the chain and sprockets look like ? Have you changed the type of oil you run in it ? Sounds like the clutch, but I'm over 46K hard miles and haven't had any issues.

I have been running regular oil since I have had her. Chain and sprocket were changed just before my last deployment. I've been home a little over a year and haven't done much riding, other than going to work, so I have to be honest in saying I never thought to look at them. But I will.

A quick and dirty way to check for clutch wear is how easy it goes from 1st to N when running. If it is tough and sort of drags your clutch is toast.

oRg issues, my original post is gone, but from memory : Is the oil level good ? If so you might need fibers. I think I asked the mechanics, if extended storage periods could cause this issue ........

The clutch will not make a grinding noise it will just slip or not release good and make it hard to get into neutral.

Clutch seems to be the verdict but I ponder the thought of your Cush drive rubbers. They can give the illusion of that "rear tire spin" thing and there only $50 to replace. The stock rubbers are trash.

thanks to everyone for your input. Haven't had any issues as far as getting the bike to go into neutral. Definitely a pain in the butt gearing up or down while wide open. I ordered new Barnett clutches for that and they should be here in a few days (weather permitting). only other issue is the feeling of rear tire spin which of all the suggestions of what it could be no one has suggested the transmission which was what I was worried about. bonus for me.

You are supposed to let off on the throttle while shifting. They are not made to shift while holding the throttle wide open. Same reason why an air shifter kills the engine for a split second.
thanks to everyone for your input. Haven't had any issues as far as getting the bike to go into neutral. Definitely a pain in the butt gearing up or down while wide open. I ordered new Barnett clutches for that and they should be here in a few days (weather permitting). only other issue is the feeling of rear tire spin which of all the suggestions of what it could be no one has suggested the transmission which was what I was worried about. bonus for me.

Back