Buy frame or part out 2012 Busa

Dookoo

Registered
As many of you know, I was involved in a collision. Besides all the plastics being scuffed up, the mount at the right rearset was broken off the frame, totaling the bike. I bought the Busa back from State Farm as a parts vehicle. The rest of the bike is good with some scratches on the right side of the engine (clutch cover and starter clutch cover). Question: Should I rebuild the bike as a salvage vehicle buying a used frame or part it out? Anyone with previous experience ease chime in. Thanks

kinda depends on what it cost you,,then research the parts it would take to fix it. add those numbers up,see where your at,if your anywhere near what you could buy one for then not a good idea to repair
As many of you know, I was involved in a collision. Besides all the plastics being scuffed up, the mount at the right rearset was broken off the frame, totaling the bike. I bought the Busa back from State Farm as a parts vehicle. The rest of the bike is good with some scratches on the right side of the engine (clutch cover and starter clutch cover). Question: Should I rebuild the bike as a salvage vehicle buying a used frame or part it out? Anyone with previous experience ease chime in. Thanks

For now if you own / bought the parts back...and want a good bike just get a frame and ride it...if you want to sell it later you may not get your money back / have headaches selling it. Take pics and save the receipts...it can only help in the long run. Other people have been in your same position...hopefully they will share insight / points to consider.

I bought it for $1,300. Bike was driven minus right rearset and all is well. Vortex rearset users beware. Instead of the peg shearing off like they are supposed to, the peg mount is stout enough to shear the entire rearset at the frame mount = totaled bike. A stock footpeg would have broken off and the bike could have easily been salvaged. I've traditionally used Sato rearsets and when dropped at the track, all have just snapped off at the foot peg. Replace the footpeg and you are good for the next session. FYI

Here she is stripped down. Rear and front cowling/fairing and left side fairings all good.
B81254FD-BE9E-4250-AA53-688E97295EF5.jpg

Is the damage able to be welded?
Does your state offer a salvage title?

DO you have the piece that broke off, as well a pic of the damage

The insurance stated that because the damage included the frame, the vehicle could not be salvaged unless the frame was replaced. Thus the parts only status

I would check with your state's RMV dept, as long as the damage is repairable. Check and see if they offer salvage or rebuildable titles, before you threw done the money on a frame.
In NH i could have that retitled in under 30 days!

I talked to a welder friend of mine and because the part of the frame which is broken is cast aluminum that even the best weld would be half as strong as the original. Not good since it would be supporting the riders weight. We already talked about building a plate to support the rearset and just using the bike for trackdays and not registering it. My goal was to build a hyper sport tourer with hard luggage and a top shelf (AKA Concours killer). To answer your question, yes it could be welded but the welder would have to certify that it meets original industry standards.

By the way, this means that I am still a Busa owner. Yipee! For now, I laugh at my buddies as they drive the Busa around the neighborhood. Luckily for us, we all live on a stretch of private road.

Vortex rearset users beware. Instead of the peg shearing off like they are supposed to, the peg mount is stout enough to shear the entire rearset at the frame mount = totaled bike. A stock footpeg would have broken off and the bike could have easily been salvaged. I've traditionally used Sato rearsets and when dropped at the track, all have just snapped off at the foot peg. Replace the footpeg and you are good for the next session. FYI

I think I might disagree with that statement. I've never ever heard of a footpeg being designed to break during a crash. Many times the vortex mounting plates bend during a crash but I've never seen one break. Didn't you play bumper cars with a four wheeler during that mishap? I don't think I'd be complaining about a foot peg that failed to break. :dunno:

True. The Vortex footpeg may not have been designed to break off. Even the mounting plates are massive. They did not give at all. I can only speak from experience with the Satos. The Satos also have a Delrin insert which supposedly helps it slide like a frame slider when on its side. I don't know at what point the rearset broke off. Either by contacting the wheel of the car or when the bike landed on its side.

I suspect in your particular case the foot peg was sheered off from impact with the car. Too bad the mounting bracket broke off the frame. Looks like a pretty easy crash otherwise. Sorry about your broken femur. Enjoy that new replacement ride, top of the line for sure!

I personally would fIx it. However a gen2 frame is $2500 to $4000 on eBay for a clean title one.
You can use a cheaper gen1 frame if you wanted to. There is the cheaper salvage title frame option but it is a pain in the azz. Depending on your local DMV. In nc you have to have a preinspection by the DMV lisence and theft burea. Then when bike is completed a final inspection showing all the receipts for the parts it took to repair the bike. But that's NC and I dnt have a clue abt your state.

Welding it would probably be fine so long as the welder is experienced at cast Al...one other thing to consider is that the frame might be tweeked in other areas / or foot peg break put a force on the swing arm pivot bolt hole or the material leading up to it that will be an issue later.

that just looks like a perfect donor bike for a gen 1 frame...engine dash and wiring... a 1340 gen 1 on the cheap... just saying

The OP wanted to know if he should rebuild or part out.

Parting out a bike is work, but I have seen bikes parted out and more $$$ was made that way then selling the bike whole. That was on a perfectly good bike though.
Depends on how far you want to go. Tearing the motor down totally and selling the case, pistons, cams, clutch plates, hoses etc. all separately gets more $$$ but takes more work & time.
So parting it out could give him some $$$ towards his new bike or even another Busa.

Repairing the bike will be work too. However it will cost him a fair amount to return it to anywhere near what it was before the crash.
Then there is the title hassle to go through unless all he wants is a track bike.

So in a nut shell it depends on if he wants to (or can) spend $$$ or does he want to make some $$$

JMHO

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've decided to keep the bike as a winter project and build a hyper sport touring bike with useable saddlebags. With the rear cowling out of the way, I can tuck the saddlebags tight to the subframe. Everything I loved about the Busa will be realized with the addition of storage space for weekenders. Since the right side Yoshi's are scratched up, I'll put the stock pipes back on. There are a few frames on ebay but I'll put the project on hold while I recover from my injuries and work on my new S1000rr. I was able to strip down the Busa and add parts/modify my S1000rr all from a wheelchair and crutches. Might as well make the day as productive and interesting as possible. Can't imagine watching tv all day, ugh.

Back