HD question...

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
looking at picking up a bike for le wife. we're going to have her check out different bikes when I get home, and an HD 883 sportster was recommended as a starter bike, low seat height, decent torque, tough to stall, and SLOW :laugh: what year did they start getting ABS in the sportster line? being up here in WA, I think it's important to get whatever safety features I can for her. the prices are within about 2 grand from 2002 to 2012, with all the bikes being in decent condition. any HD people post up, I've been scouring the interwebs, and can't find a definitive answer. it seems like abs was offered in 2008, but how can I find out if the bike actually has ABS without looking at each one in person and looking for the wires coming from the forks and swingarm?

We all know I'm not an HD fan, but why not a Honda Shadow instead? WAAAAY cheaper, more reliable, etc, etc. You can get 'em used for peanuts!

The 883 Hugger was my starter bike, and it was a good starter, however it was uncomfortable. If you're planning longer trips, you'll need to upgrade the seat, and she'll get sick of having you haul stuff for her, so she'll need something on there or a backpack or something. I got sick of trying to mod the HD to carry the smallest of things, like my wallet...but, it was a nice bike, but after having my Busa, I don't miss it a single bit :laugh:

I think looking back, I would have preferred to start out on a smaller sport bike, if I'd known more about 'em. Just my :2cents:

I know nothing about 883's, but just a preliminary search doesn't pull up any ABS until 2014.

2014 new electrical harness, new larger brakes, antilock brakes (ABS) option, keyless entry, new speedometer with gear indicator/tachometer, increased engine compression ratio, catalytic converter

Harley-Davidson Sportster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You saw somewhere they are offered as far back as 2008?

I'm still looking...

I think 2007 is when it was 1st introduced but unlike the busa it is an option so you need to ask or look at it, some will have it and some wont.

My personal opinion is that a small sport bike is better to learn on (and I have a Harley). Simple fact is they are lighter and more nibble...more forgiving (expect for the throttle).

Good luck and have fun in your search. Just have her take a riders class.

My wife and I both had 2004 Sportster 883s. Her's was a low and she still always felt it was too "tall" and top heavy. She's 5'4" and had no trouble riding it. In fact she loved it out on the road at speed but was always scared of it in town with stop and go traffic.

She learned on a Kawasaki KE 100 dual sport, I don't think they even make those anymore. Then moved to a Suzuki GZ250 which she blew up trying to ride highway speeds, and that was only 60 - 75 on rural two lanes. After that we got the Sportster and she only kept it a year.

I'd have to go with Bots, a Honda Shadow or the Suzuki S50 or whatever the 650 is now. Of course it depends on your wife and what she's comfortable with. Height and strength make a difference.

Lots of good small bikes out there now. Sport bikes, cruisers and some general purpose bikes. The new Honda from last year or so come to mind, NC700 and another 500 as well.

It was 2008 but only on the touring models. The only thing I can find on the 883 is 2014 and up. I see older ones with it but only aftermarket ABS... try asking your question here Home | HDForums Not as friendly as the guys/gals we have here but still plenty of answers

suzuki vl 800 intruder/Velousia

an amazing mike.. thing has decent power..and its sooooo comfortable.. feels like your riding a fat boy harley.. but zuk reliability

lmao. I'm not a big HD fan either, but she thinks she wants one. I think we'll rent her one and go for a ride after she takes her riders course. see how she likes it.

I had an 883 low which was nice...i did the 1200 upgrade which was even nicer, but still was mild on the power.

Need to remember this...
600 cbr - 110hp give or take
600 shadow - 40hp

And they're heavier than sportbikes. So pretty much any cruiser you get will be managable for new riders (mind you, a 1600 isn't ideal considering they still need to learn to manouever a bike).

Go with a Shadow or a Zuk Boulevard. 883 is a pig . My daughter had one (5'2" 110lbs), and wasn't comfortable plus she said it was gutless. It did hold value though she sold it 2 1/2 years later for the same amount she got it for ( of course she got a smoking deal on it )

I could be wrong but the 883 is air cooled. They get pretty hot in the summer especially at a stop light etc.
They also shake at an idle compared to most 4 cylinder bikes.

Good Idea to rent one, but rent something else like a 800-1200 cruiser.
That just my opinion but if she thinks she wants an 883 and has nothing to compare it to she may jump at it and regret it later.

Yes, Sportster is air cooled.

Does your Harley shop rent Sportsters? My local shop doesn't rent anything but the big full dress / bagger bikes.

Back