Bike does not idle....

Are you using the fast idle ? was the bike warm or cold in the video ? Did you just buy the bike ? was it doing fine and all of the sudden this happened ? how old is the fuel ? is the battery good and fully charged ?

There's a fast idle adjust and an idle adjustment. Have you tried either of those.

No fast idle
Cold start
He just bought bike 2 months ago
It just started... Progressively worse
Fuel is one week old
New battery

I will try the idle adjustment....have not tried it yet..

Gen I bikes were notorious for the idle set screw backing out, it would slowly happen over time. Not a big deal, just lift the tank and re-adjust. Some guys put the non-perm lock tight on the threads.

cold start you shld always use the choke/fast idle. winter, summer whenever. does it idle when warmed up?

I would just slip a long shank screwdriver between the armrest and tank from memory without lifting the tank.

I would up the idle some. Just search the forum someone did a really good write up with pics I used when I was having problems. If you choke it and still the same problems esp since you just bought it run a little sea foam or put new plugs in it. Both options are fairly cheap and neither will hurt.

No fast idle
Cold start
He just bought bike 2 months ago
It just started... Progressively worse
Fuel is one week old
New battery

I will try the idle adjustment....have not tried it yet..
The only problem with the bike seems that the fast idle isn't being used. Always use the fast idle on a cold start. It will idle up and then start dropping off. That's when you take the fast idle off and when the bike gets warm it should idle around 1300 from memory.

I agree on the last two posts from dadofthree. I use a really long screwdriver and go between the tank and the frame to adjust the idle (you can peek in between the tank and frame and see the adjuster screw just in front of the right plastic tank side cover). Idle should be between 1200 and 1300 rpm when it is warmed up and fast idle not engaged.

i had the same issue with my bike it drove me nuts, turns out the idle screw backed out. check that out first before you go any farther into the diag as it might not be worth it.

Back