Gas.

newman

Registered
Just been reading a post about gas.
You seem to have lots of different sorts there in the US.

Ethanol, non-Ethanol.
Different Octanes.

Basically here in the UK we just have two types Unleaded 95 Octane and Super Unleaded 97/98 Octane.
And some premium high performance gas which some manufactures sell 97/99 Octane, but I've never seen these about.
Plus of course Diesel.

They have started putting Ethanol is most gas now, but we don't have a choice.

We used to have different sorts.
Two star, Three star, Four star and five star.
All different Octanes.

Just interested why you have different sorts, a lot more than in the UK.

Not sure why we do, the highest I can buy in town is 91, but other parts of the country you can find 93.

87 to 93 octane here...

Every vehicle I have runs just fine on 87 octane and every vehicle I have is old/high mileage. I even had my Mustang adjusted to accept this change to help the wallet some, many years ago. If I had to pay for high octane, I'd have to sell a child, and I'm pretty attached to them now :laugh:

Man you got the good stuff across the pond! :laugh:

I think Sunoco sells 94 but the highest grade @ most stations around my way is 93 but then there is a million threads on here and other sites about the best grade 2 run in your bike and a lot of people and tuners prefer the 87 or low grade fuel so who knows??

How much is a gallon of fuel running these days over there?? Right now @ my local gas station it's $3.45 gal for the low grade 87

Yikes 1busa! We're seeing 87 dip to $3.07 around here...it's rare, but we've seen it...

I think Sunoco sells 94 but the highest grade @ most stations around my way is 93 but then there is a million threads on here and other sites about the best grade 2 run in your bike and a lot of people and tuners prefer the 87 or low grade fuel so who knows??

How much is a gallon of fuel running these days over there?? Right now @ my local gas station it's $3.45 gal for the low grade 87

It is not as good as it looks.. Fuels are rated differently there than the US Motor + Research /2 formula. I believe they use Research octane ratings that are at much higher numbers that Motor octane numbers.

A US gallon is different to a UK gallon.
US gallon = 3.79 litres.
UK gallon = 4.93 litres

And a US gallon here in the UK costs $4.95.

A nuisance over here as I was brought up on good old lbs and ounces and pints an gallons.
Now it's all metric.
Although we still have pints in pubs, I couldn't imagine going in a pub and saying can I have 568ml of Fosters please.

Thats a lot of Fosters! I prefer good ole Hieneken.

I had Fosters a little while back, not a bad beer. I like how they give it to you in a Big Azz can and a frosted glass :laugh:

I don't know why but I can't stand the taste of Heineken :puke: but I love the taste of Heineken Light??? Guess my taste buds are weird like that

My understanding is the octane numbers mean different things standard vs. metric maybe. His 98 is probably equal to our 93. That's what I've read, not an octane expert.

I can't answer the why? But there's more variety than meets the eye. Certain parts of the country are required to sale different blends of gas because of air quality issues as well.

its not imperial vs metric, they use two different formulas, Europe uses ron formula and states uses (r+m)/2. uk higher octane is equal to lower octane value in u.s.

When I was stationed in the U.K. I would buy petrol (fuel) vouchers on base in order to purchase fuel off base (because you could get higher octane) at the discounted U.S. price. The fuel went into my Audi S4 which did not like the low octane fuel available on base. It worked out pretty well for quite a few years. I would have around $300 in fuel vouchers in my glove compartment that were used as cash on the economy off base.

Most places in the states have 4 different types of fuel. You have diesel, then 3 different octanes of gas. Then ethanol seems to be more regional than anything else in regards to the amount of ethanol in the gas. Also, there are those odd fueling stations that have natural gas and a couple of other alternative fuels.

its not imperial vs metric, they use two different formulas, Europe uses ron formula and states uses (r+m)/2. uk higher octane is equal to lower octane value in u.s.

TY I knew there was some reason. No I will not retain this information, so hang around :laugh:

Oh, by the way you were suppose to insult me or tell me to kiss your butt, it's the current protocol :rofl:

sorry I hadn't realized the protocol has changed, been a while since I followed whats going on in this forum. so on that note YOU SUCK!!!!!
TY I knew there was some reason. No I will not retain this information, so hang around :laugh:

Oh, by the way you were suppose to insult me or tell me to kiss your butt, it's the current protocol :rofl:

Back