Busa Upgrades: V-meter, switches, TPMS, etc.

IG.

Registered
Boys and girls! I wanted to share something with you. I am not big on bling, but always go for function. My '01 had some of those features, but was flooded by Sandy. So, the new '06 got the same upgrades and more. Took a lot of effort, but now every time I ride I do enjoy the convenience and safety.

Click on me for lots of details

I am surprised so few people responded (zero)! Am I the only one who feels strongly about those upgrades? :super:

I honestly missed the thread some how....I think all the mods are cool! Not for me, but none the less cool.

I have done the valve stems myself. I don't mind checking my air pressure manually. The rest are not in my area of interest myself.

TPMS? Really? That is the last mod that I would do. In fact if I could remove that wretched system from my car I would do it immediately.

TPMS? Really? That is the last mod that I would do. In fact if I could remove that wretched system from my car I would do it immediately.

Care to explain why are you so against TPMS on your bike? Also, what is your plan if you are riding and you got a puncture in the front tire? What about the rear tire? I hope you are aware that after a puncture a tire can lose most air in a matter of minutes. I am also guessing it may've never happened to you.

Care to explain why are you so against TPMS on your bike? Also, what is your plan if you are riding and you got a puncture in the front tire? What about the rear tire? I hope you are aware that after a puncture a tire can lose most air in a matter of minutes. I am also guessing it may've never happened to you.

There are several reasons why I would not want TPMS on a bike (or my car for that matter). Firstly, adding on a piece of electronic equipment to monitor your tire pressure removes you one step further from the man-machine interface. Any experienced rider will tell you that he checks his tire pressures on a regular basis, plus my pre-ride checks invlove the tires meeting the toe of my boot as I check that they still have pressure. While this is not a scientific method it puts me in contact with my tires and I have had a visual look to see what condition they are in and I know that they have adequate pressure.

If the cars that I have owned with TPMS are any indication, the systems are flawed at best, giving erroneous readings and rendering themselves unreliable. Nothing is more reliable than a hands on check of your tires. I am a career helicopter mechanic and I understand the importance of staying involved with the condition of ones machines and their individual parts.

There are some additions that make a lot of sense to me, such as a battery monitoring device. You cannot feel a battery losing voltage, nor will kicking the battery with your boot tell you anything. But I can feel my tires losing pressure; particularly at and after the point where it becomes a saftey issue.

Additional lights and gauges are also a distraction when riding, plus they clutter up an otherwise tidy motorcycle.

I have had several tire punctures ending in flat tires while on the road. The two most recent were when I ran over a chunk of wood that flew out of the back of a pickup truck at 75 mph (CBR1100XX). It flattened the front immediately and destroyed both wheels. TPMS would have been of no help then. Most recently I picked up a piece of shale in the rear which flattened that tire along side the road (VFR). The feel of the bike told me something was going on long before the tire went flat.

My biggest issue with TMPS and other similar system is that it removes the rider one step further from the man-machine interface that I think is an important ingredient in being a safe and successful rider.

I see your point. However, if you ride aggressively, like out on country roads, or doing high speed runs it may be too late to "feel" that something is not right, unless you can feel a 10% drop in pressure which I doubt. It's always better to be proactive and know ahead of time. In cases that you described it was obvious the tires were compromised. However, if you pick up a screw, it is likely to be a slow leak. I also kick the tires, but when I am out on the road I don't want to wonder, and I don't want to stop often and kick the tires. Obviously, if I feel that something is wrong, I would stop and check things out regardless of what TPMS shows. When I am out riding, I find it really convenient and confidence inspiring being able to see tire pressures and temperatures at the press of a button.

TPMS I have is very reliable and consistent - firsthand experience for many thousands of miles. With cars, it could be different. Some cars have actual sensors which do transmit to the display unit. In other cars, the computer simply calculates wheel rpm and if the wheel rotates faster than it's supposed to, it assumes that the effective diameter of the tire got smaller, presumably because of the loss of air pressure, and then alerts the driver. I also experienced false alerts in my car once or twice.

Back