Who knows stopping distance from 150 mph?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I see ten pages and 280+ posts on "What percent of riders have been 150 mph". From what I gather most of our members have achieved this goal. So, the thought came to me to ask the question: "How many riders have tested their ability to reach a full stop from 150 mph" or "How many riders actually know their stopping distance at 150 mph" ?

If so, post your results. If not, why not?

I hit 145 in a 1/4 mile track on a gen 1 the stopping distance is greater than I expected. I have never measured it but I would say a little over an 1/8 mile under easy braking and engine braking, maybe a little sooner if you really lock it down and are still able to control it.

The gen 2 I would say sooner as long as you control it, the brakes are 10-1 better on the gen 2 compared to the gen 1 even with braided lines on the gen 1.

Many times hard braking from 150 to 45-55 after going through the lights at the track. A few times from 160+ the same way.
Also many many times quick stopping from 60-100+ to 0 at the training range.

range.JPG

My local track is terrible. The shutdown area is 1/8th of a mile(660).
I am running 139mph through the traps and I have time to slow down for the first turnaround lane.
I am not stopping easy, but I am not stopping that hard either.
I would guess really stopping would be done in probably 300feet or so.

Easy, sit up and act like a parachute! :rofl:

(Don't try that at home)

All joking aside...in a close quarter situation braking from a high speed could be a very scary situation and never as much room as one would like.

On a straight line course with plenty of room it seems very quick, but I haven't had a moose play chicken with me yet either.

I'm puckered up too hard to measure it SteveO! But I did go from 170 to about 50 last month at Nola several times!

A lot of variables: Skillz, bike, brakes, tires, road, conditions, etc...but I'll be SKILLZ is #1 factor...

The real question is, how many here have actually TRIED to shut down fast from 150? I'll be not nearly as many who have tried to GET to 150...

guessing around 100ft for me. I know at loudon,nh I had to apply the brakes hard @150 at the finish line way before the brake placards started to make turn 1

150 mph is roughly 210' per second.
Then around 1 second to react.
Then how good your brakes, riding surface, and abilities are.
A long way.

A long way.

Funny we were both doing the same math on that number. I was trying to figure out how many seconds you have at 150 MPH past the finish line at Chase Field you have until the end of the runway. Works out to about 13 seconds or so if the FAA information about it being 8000' long is correct. Maybe one of you that have run that strip at 150 or more can chime in. The end of it is pretty loose stuff.

A long way.

I think the average reaction time is around .65 seconds and the average sport bike on sticky race tires can generate around 1G of negative force under hard braking which happens to be about the same 1G of positive force under full throttle. The same sport bike can generate about 1G of lateral force at full lean as well.

Back