18,000 Excessive Speed Impoundments so far and no slowdown in sight

ktown

Registered
If anybody is thinking about riding there bike in BC I would advice you not to speed the biggest cash grab I have ever seen your looking a 3000.00 in fines and impound

*18k vehicles seized so far for excessive speed
* seizure rate rising, not falling
* on one weekend, Hope Towing racked up 55 tows
* 104 impounds since June in Manning Park / Skagit Bluffs
The subject of the story, Andrew Scott is "flabbergasted" as he's one of those (like almost everybody) that believes these laws wouldn't or don't apply to him. Police don't interpret laws, they apply them and enforce. Speed limits do not represent the UPPER end of safe travel speed in BC (don't worry, you'll never see police speed traps when it's snowing and icy), and until that happens, you roll the dice everytime you ride. Don't agree with it? Go here (we'll let you know when we need you). Mounties The Province story: Police impound more than 100 vehicles this year for speeding on Highway 3

So why not just, not speed? The first link leads to a book about Colorados HWY 3?

we have the same BS in Ontario( the province) at 50 kmh hover speed limit. All the law does is force riders to flee since the outcome is the same...

It is a draconian tax grab and should be challenged by a charter of rights infringement. Until some politician or his family gets towed, the law wont change.
I see in BC the limit is 40 km/h over. what a joke!

BB

Trying to impliment the same laws in Alberta, but at this point have not passed the goverment approval.

From what I read in the article you will be ticketed if you are going 24 MPH over, but impounded if 25 MPH over the speed limit. Simple fix here, don't speed and if you do keep it under 25 MPH over the speed limit.

Good advisory, but I don't see the reason for outrage on this. I think it is a bit excessive to leave a family stranded, but everyone is subject to the law of the land.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, when I was in applying for my concealed weapon license (Georgia) there was a break down of the speeding charges. I want to say that 21 MPH and up the vehicle could be towed, but I am not sure. So, this goes right in line with what BC is doing.

Virginia will arrest you for I "think" 30 or 35 over but I don't know if they will tow your vehicle when they arrest you.

we have the same BS in Ontario( the province) at 50 kmh hover speed limit. All the law does is force riders to flee since the outcome is the same...

It is a draconian tax grab and should be challenged by a charter of rights infringement. Until some politician or his family gets towed, the law wont change.
I see in BC the limit is 40 km/h over. what a joke!

BB

It has been challenged in court, and has been deemed unconstitutional by two judges, one in Toronto, and the other in the Cobourg area. I believe it is still waiting to be appealed in the supreme court. Obviously the problem being is that it goes against the Chart of Rights, being innocent until being proved guilty in the court room. This is just a short description of what happens upon being pulled over at 50km/h over (not even 50 mph over for you American riders.)

- Vehicle gets towed automatically.
- $5,000 - $10,000 fine.
- License suspension for 7 days immediately.
- You must pay for tow and storage fees for 7 days, which generally costs $250 - $300 a day.
- $150 to re-instate your license after 7 days.
- Can lose license for 2 years.
- Insurance Premiums can triple.
- Possible imprisonment for 6 months.

All of the above is pretty life changing for just blipping the throttle on your busa for a few seconds. A friend of mine had to sell his ZX-14 which he had only upgraded and bought a month ago to pay for the storage fees and legal bills. Even if you beat the charge in the court room you are not getting that $2000 storage fee, license re-instatement, and potential loss days of work money back.

Back