tires ?????

the plumber

Registered
i was just on a ride with my buddy up in high point nj, heading towards the nest ........ started raining so we pulled over to eat . he is the research king so i just asked him about tires . i just said i am going to try to eeeekkk out the season on the stock tires . i bought an 08 from a dealership that closed 2 days after i bought bike . had 1200 miles last feb, i am closing in on 5 k . well after inspection of tires when i got home seems the stock bridestones won't withstand another aggressive ride . nor will i feel comfortable that hard on them . any suggestions pros cons .......... i look forward to your feedback

Round, rubber ones!

Depends, do you want mileage? Do you want to tear through corners? Do you want a compromise of the two?

I am a fan of michelin tires. I got pilot power 3 on the front and will be picking up a pilot road 3 on the rear

I have perelli in mine. Was going for the Q2s but there was a sell the day I was at cycle world so I jumped on them, I really like them and have a couple thousand miles on them as of now.

Q3's....have burned up 3 Q2 rears and 2 fronts.....just awesome...but the trade off is not too good longevity.....3k rear...maybe 6k front.
The dual compound rear.....will go away pretty fast if you really get it on on the straights. But they sure stick well in the curves.
Just mounted a pair of Q3's this weekend...have not ridden with them yet.....i am sure i will not be disappointed. Ps Motorcycle Super Store Rocks !!

just done a trackday on a mate GSXR runnning Michelin Power 3's.....lovely balance,quick warm up and left the track almost upmarked....on the road home I couldn't tell the difference between them and Metzeler Racetecs for feel.

I would consider mixing the Power 3 with the older Road 2 rear...In the past I found the Road 3 just doesn't work that well with the Busa grunt as well as the Road 2.............yes its better in the rain and gives better mileage but its way to stiff to inspire sporty riding.

Newer Bridgestone stuff could also be a choice....S20f and T30r should be a good mix wet or dry with loads of grip and sensible mileage.

This is on a Q2 last weekend...any questions about grip?

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a set of qualifiers on mine. Someone decided to let me know they didn't approve.

image-1162551929.jpg

image-1162551929.jpg

just done a trackday on a mate GSXR runnning Michelin Power 3's.....lovely balance,quick warm up and left the track almost upmarked....on the road home I couldn't tell the difference between them and Metzeler Racetecs for feel.

I would consider mixing the Power 3 with the older Road 2 rear...In the past I found the Road 3 just doesn't work that well with the Busa grunt as well as the Road 2.............yes its better in the rain and gives better mileage but its way to stiff to inspire sporty riding.

Newer Bridgestone stuff could also be a choice....S20f and T30r should be a good mix wet or dry with loads of grip and sensible mileage.

Any issues with slippage on the road 3? I've been reading up on them and wanted the advantage of wet riding and mileage but I do like to hit the corners pretty good. Don't want a tire that will not give you confindence through a turn

PR3's do NOT have the corner grip the Q2/Q3 do. While they may have better mileage. Depends on what is most important to you. The Q2/Q3 front is about as close as you can get to a race tire without needing warmers..and make sure you compare pricing too, you can get down to around $240 a set including shipping with the Dunlops.

I have the Bridgestone battlax s20's front and rear. I absolutely love them. I was a little worried about mileage on them but I have well over 6,000KM on them and there probably 70% left rear more up front. I have been in hard rain and dry deserts and they held up and have never slipped on me. I do mainly touring riding with the odd harder run and some corner carving, I have felt more comfortable in corners and confident with these than anything else. I'll be buying another set when these finally pack it in.

you guys are great , i went with the q3 ........ i also dialed in my suspension i did it professionally by a place in western nj called Washington Cycle Work . i cant say enough about them . they went over the ins and outs of the whole process . All i can say is i left to ride back to northern nj and after the 80 miles " ride like its raining " new tire speech . well lets just say i woke up soar this am ......... bike handles like she was on jenny craig . she fells lighter handles amazing . so gents thank you again for all your input . i am glad i found the site

Back