Gen I brake up-grade

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Some say up graded brake lines are not needed for street riding.

Some figure up graded rotors are also a waste of money.

I plan to up grade the master imediatley,I want my Gen I to stop like my Gen II.

Which master cylinder have you guys gone with,where did you get it,what extra bits are needed,the cost?

Thanks Rubb.

Brembo RCS
Galfer lines
Rizoma fuild cup
Rizoma bracket

PJ's Parts has everything, and tell them i sent you.
You will very satisfied!

PJ's Parts

Ps Pj's does not have Galfer, but my new bike i will be using Fren Tubo Lines on the Gen 2!

His catalog doesn't list any of that ^ ???

Anybody else have any suggestions?

RSD.

Anybody know the part number for a GSXR 1000 master? I think I am going that route.

I'll start at the top,work my way down till I'm happy.

Master,lines,EBC pads,then switch out the tokico's if I have too.

Thanks RSD.

Hey Rubb here is my Gen 1 Front brake setup and Im sure you will be more than satisfied with 2 finger stop on a dime capabilities

2009 Yamaha R6 Brembo Front brake MC (bolts right on)

Speigler Billet aluminum Front brake master cylinder reservoir (super trick, eliminates the hose from the reservoir to the front brake assembly, and no sock needed since its a fully enclosed reservoir with a small peep hole to check fluid)

I used Speigler SS front brake lines because I read on a forum that they come a tad bit longer than OEM lines and it was just the right length to do the conversion, they come in every color imaginable so that's a plus too.....

EBC HH pads (what else can you say about those? Been around forever and everybody uses them for a reason.....)

Buy a Brembo conversion caliper adapter, several places to get 1 ebay included. They make them in 65mm and 100mm, I bought the 65mm brackets and went with a set of Brembo Gold line calipers that came of a 00 Duc ST2

Once again all these parts bolted right up no crazy modifications needed and its been on my busa 2 years strong with no issues. I even switched to a shorty lever cause 2 fingers is all I need to slow her down :whistle:

Hey Rubb here is my Gen 1 Front brake setup and Im sure you will be more than satisfied with 2 finger stop on a dime capabilities

2009 Yamaha R6 Brembo Front brake MC (bolts right on)

Speigler Billet aluminum Front brake master cylinder reservoir (super trick, eliminates the hose from the reservoir to the front brake assembly, and no sock needed since its a fully enclosed reservoir with a small peep hole to check fluid)

I used Speigler SS front brake lines because I read on a forum that they come a tad bit longer than OEM lines and it was just the right length to do the conversion, they come in every color imaginable so that's a plus too.....

EBC HH pads (what else can you say about those? Been around forever and everybody uses them for a reason.....)

Buy a Brembo conversion caliper adapter, several places to get 1 ebay included. They make them in 65mm and 100mm, I bought the 65mm brackets and went with a set of Brembo Gold line calipers that came of a 00 Duc ST2

Once again all these parts bolted right up no crazy modifications needed and its been on my busa 2 years strong with no issues. I even switched to a shorty lever cause 2 fingers is all I need to slow her down :whistle:

PERFECT. This sounds like the winner.

I have the Speigler stainless lines on already. Those are all the length I need then?

I have EBC pads in already but guessing those wont work with the Duc calipers?

Is the Speigler res just a generic bucket or do I need to order one for an R6 master?

Any spacing needed between calipers and stock Busa rotors?

Am I going to need a bank loan for all this?

Is there a huge difference between yer master and the Gix 1000?

Thanks Bro.

RSD.

Dumb question...can you swap the gen 2 forks on a gen 1....same ID...axel...+ better brakes? Is it a regular routine job?

PERFECT. This sounds like the winner.

I have the Speigler stainless lines on already. Those are all the length I need then?

I have EBC pads in already but guessing those wont work with the Duc calipers?

Is the Speigler res just a generic bucket or do I need to order one for an R6 master?

Am I going to need a bank loan for all this?

Is there a huge difference between yer master and the Gix 1000?

Thanks Bro.

RSD.

Yeah I bought my Speigler SS lines off the Moto mummy site. Nothing special ordered just 99-07 hayabusa. You have to order the EBC pads for whatever bike you get your used brembos off of. So for me I had to order pads for a 00 ST2 Duc. The Speigler reservoir is a universal fit, I ordered mine off sportbiketrackgear.com and it was listed for my bike but the part # was the same for most of the Japanese sport bikes. May need a few washers to space it out properly but that's about it. Think there is a thread on here that xplains it in more detail. That's where I got the idea to do it from. I can't tell you the difference between my MC and a gsxr MC because I haven't tried the latter. All I know is I read on a forum about how Yamaha R6's came factory with Brembo MC and how people with other bikes were buying them used off ebay to put on their bikes as a cheap upgrade for a MC rather than paying $300+ for a brand new Brembo. I got my Brembo gold line calipers, Brembo MC, and adapters all off Ebay. It was during the winter and I was patient and got tgreat deals on all of the components. Shouldn't break the bank @ all and the results from it are night and day. No marginal or slightly different feel..... I'm talking you will have to retrain yourself on how much pressure to apply or you might find yourself in trouble.

Dumb question...can you swap the gen 2 forks on a gen 1....same ID...axel...+ better brakes? Is it a regular routine job?

There's a thread or 2 about doing this swap so you can probably search on them and get concrete answers but I don't think it's a direct swap. I believe the axles, rims, rotor size, bearings, etc are all different but don't quote me on that. I haven't read those threads in a while. I know it's doable but I don't think it's a wham bam bolt up and go job

Hey Rubb just so you know prior to doing this conversion I tried to just go with the MC rebuild kit, SS lines, and HH pads. It was a slight improvement from stock but nothing to write home about. That's when I said the hell with it and did the full conversion and I could feel the difference instantly. So although I'm no track master or braking expert. I have a baseline to compare the results to. Same bike with 3 different setups with the same rider

This is good info. I just did the MC rebuild, SS lines and Galfer pads. It stops good but I think it can be better. So, I might look into this upgrade over the winter.

I honestly dont know? I just seen a couple pics of the billet aluminum reservoirs and thought they looked super trick! I hate the wrist band sock thing so I had to have 1. I did some research and found 1 made by Speigler. I ordered it from sportbiketrackgear.com I compared prices and that's when I seen it was a universal fit item. Cross checked it with a few other bikes and it had the same part #. I didn't see any size variance on the item only color options of Black, silver, and gold.

I just finished my design for adapter to 65mm Brembo's, I had to send back the calipers to a buddy so I haven't cut a second one for test fitting with threaded holes. Should be done very soon. You can't beat the stopping power of Brembo's

There's a thread or 2 about doing this swap so you can probably search on them and get concrete answers but I don't think it's a direct swap. I believe the axles, rims, rotor size, bearings, etc are all different but don't quote me on that. I haven't read those threads in a while. I know it's doable but I don't think it's a wham bam bolt up and go job

You're exactly right...plus you need a Gen 2 front fender

Back