fuel gauge not working

R4V3N

Registered
Hi Peeps

right im trying to sort this fuel level sensor out ???...background story...i was hit a while back and the car damaged allot of my fairings so i found a whole set of fairings on ebay and swapped my tank for his (think he was converting to a street fighter-why would you do that to a busa i'll never know but anyway) so the tank matched the fairings. (the fuel sensors were swapped as well) now my sensor doens't move the needle/gauge. I have checked the tank sensor and i get a progressive ohm reading... so that works, ive check the cable and plugs and they are all ok. The only thing i can think of is that his busa was newer than mine...so will the wiring be different? or is there something to calibrate or check inside the clock unit?

sorry for the essay but hopefully clearer picture for clearer result

thanks again
kev

perhaps if the years are different it will make a difference. The fuel level sensor was on its own for a couple years,then it was incorporated into the fuel pump.

What year Busa do you have and what year tank are you trying to install?

RSD.

I was going to ask the same thing Rub did. What years are we talking about?

mine is a 2001 model (with the external fuel pump)

im not 100% sure what year the bike was that I got the tank i have a feeling it was 2002 or 2003?

I think, but not sure, 99-02 were the same, 03 and up were different and may be what the problem is.

I have swapped 01s to 07s and 07s to 01s,,they all worked fine. I would look at the gauges or the wiring if the ohm reading is correct.

the gauge reads from about 10 to 130 ohms from one end to the other...does that sound about right? if so what am i looking for at the gauge/dash
(the wires/plug buzz through from sensor to plug that goes in back of clocks)

Does the fuel guage "test" (go to full,then empty,and the low fuel light turn on/off) when you turn the ignition key on?

RSD.

just read the other post where you said you have the external pump but the newer tank,,,how about some pics of the underside of the tank and such. so we know what we are dealing with.

With the fuel level guage out and pluged into the harness and the key "on" as you lift the float from empty to about 30 mm from empy you should get a low fuel warning light in your clocks. If you dont,then you have a disruption in the wiring,probably due to different harness configurations or a malfuction in the guages themselves.If all the other guages are working properly then I would guess its wiring.

Before attempting this,consult someone with more electrical savy than me. But I would give it a go. :whistle:

Luckily for you the wiring colour codes are the same between the years and also for Euro models. You could by-pass the harness. The signal wire for the fuel guage stays the same color from sensor to guage. Its yellow with a black tracer. Take a length of wire and run it from the fuel level sensor to the fuel level guage bypassing all of the conections.The test may or may not work,the other wire could also be the problem,but it leads to multiple connections.

RSD.

This I know from my recent rebuild of my bike. I have a 99...external fuel pump. 2000 also had this configuration. In 2001 they went to the internal fuel pump. I know this for certain because the new tank and plastics I put on my beast are from an 01. As far as the gauge not reading...I can not help you, as I was in a pinch to get this bike running, I have a pump from a gsxr 1000 or something. The guy I bought it from didn't realize there was a difference and sent it to me. Output flow on the pump is the same and she runs fine, I just don't have my gauge hooked up at all as the pump I have in has sensors on the side rather then a float arm. Now my bike just constantly throws the FI code for the fuel sensor not working. Wish I could get it to shut off!!

hi guys

below is hopefully a pic of the underside of the petrol tank, external fuel pump, fuel level sensor/gauge & fuel tank filter just so you know what im trying to work with :confused2:

20130705_173823_zps4addecc2.jpg

ive tried bypassing the loom and connecting straight from the sensor to the gauge and still no joy ???

a friend who is a bit of a electronics bof said maybe the gauge is set up to read a different ohm range reading if the sensor is different?

so for example my sensor reads 13 to 130 across the range but if the gauge is set to read between... say... 150 to 300 (e.g) then it wouldn't pick it up

does anyone a) understand this lol and b) offer any suggestions. Also can the clock be reset or calibrated?

thanks
kev

if you put the 2 wires together on the bike and the gauge still doesn't do anything on the gauge then you have an open circuit or the gauge is bad.,,all 99 to 07 gauges will swap and work,,I have done it many times.

ive tried bypassing the loom and connecting straight from the sensor to the gauge and still no joy ???

a friend who is a bit of a electronics bof said maybe the gauge is set up to read a different ohm range reading if the sensor is different?

so for example my sensor reads 13 to 130 across the range but if the gauge is set to read between... say... 150 to 300 (e.g) then it wouldn't pick it up

does anyone a) understand this lol and b) offer any suggestions. Also can the clock be reset or calibrated?

thanks
kev

I understand it and the answer is no. All of the sensors reguardless of year,right thru the Gen II's will show the same ohm range.

The manual for gen I and gen II does not offer a reset or calibration option,only the standard..."Yer fugged/replace" option. :laugh:

At this point I would try and find a guage cluster(clock set) you can borrow,plug in and test. Yer clocks maybe toast,or you still have a bad connection.

RSD.

Back