Rear tire longevity?

animalrooster41

Registered
I am riding 2008 Busa with full brocks exhaust and power commander. Dynoed 196 hp. I tour almost exclusively. I have tried about 6 brands of tires from Continentals to Perelli, Avons, multi compounds and such. Almost pulled the trigger the other day on the new Michelin pr3 for $175, but why? Nothing seems to last more than 5-6K. I am now decided to run Shikos as they are as cheap ($104) as I can find. I told my wife if they made them out of a certain part of her female anatomy I would be buying my last tire as it probably would never wear out. She assured me I was wrong and that it does wear out. Does anyone have any reason to believe one brand of tire will last substantially any longer than another that justifies the extra cost?

Last edited:
Wow, I've never gotten more than 2500 from a rear. I've tried Mich and Bridgestone. Mostly twisties as far as riding goes.

I wouldn't complain at 5-6K. The busa is not light in the weight or power department.

I am riding 2008 Busa with full brocks exhaust and power commander. Dynoed 196 hp. I tour almost exclusively. I have tried about 6 brands of tires from Continentals to Perelli, Avons, multi compounds and such. Almost pulled the trigger the other day on the new Michelin pr3 for $175, but why? Nothing seems to last more than 5-6K. I am now decided to run Shikos as they are as cheap ($104) as I can find. I told my wife if they made them out of a certain part of her female anatomy I would be buying my last tire as it probably would never wear out. She assured me I was wrong and that it does wear out. Does anyone have any reason to believe one brand of tire will last substantially any longer than another that justifies the extra cost?

:rofl::thumbsup:

Thats great mileage in my book. I just went through the OEM BT015 in 1, 510 miles. Thinkimg of trying the new Q3

Wrong bike to save tires... Most folks would be happy to have your mileage.. Stay in as tall gear as possible and accelerate VERY gently... Don't go faster than 70... That will save you tires and gas... But then you will lose all the fun.

Have you tried Metzeler?

If you ride a lot, wait for good deals by the end of the season, and get yourself a bunch of rears to last you for full season. Also handy if you got a puncture - no need to order and wait.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than 2k miles out of a BUSA tire but then again I don't putt around on them either... :laugh:

Yeah its pretty unanimous........... you have nothing to complain about getting 6k miles out of a rear tire :whistle: If your looking to get more than that out of a rear tire you are riding the wrong bike

over 20,000 klms on pilot road 2, tour and occasional burn but always kane it from lights.. i think its how you ride the bike just as much as the tyre...

Want your rear tire to last longer? Eliminate engine braking de-acceleration by pulling in the clutch everytime you let off the gas. I know that is just plain stupid to even consider. However... plenty of wear occurs from engine braking. Riding a torquey bike and having fun with it means your tires won't last long. That is the price you pay for having the kind of fun these motorcycles and others like them provide.

I will investigate the dark side, although it almost seems blasphemy on this bike. Like I say, I long distance tour almost exclusively and where I live out in the deserts of west Utah is nothing but long straights to get anywhere. Lets put it this way, my commute to work is 61 miles each way and I can literaly count all the corners on 1 hand. Well, I guess I will count my blessings that I am getting 5-6K after hearing from the rest of you what you are getting. Pilot road 2 sounds good as well, will try it first. Thanks

So, you tour almost exclusively, do you carry a passenger? Do you have luggage and is it full of stuff? How much do you weigh? Is your suspension set up for you and your riding style? What are the condition of the roads you ride like? Tire pressure? Check it often? Lots of factors to take into account.

I commute 250 miles every week not including joy rides which sometimes includes a passenger. We have very little in the way of spirited roads here in Fla. and my last set of Pirelli Angel's lasted close to 9500 miles. I have the new Angel GT's on now and claim 15-20% more miles in their lifetime. We shall see.

Never 2 up, tried that, pain in my butt. Statements like "I gotta pee", "your going too fast, slow down", "I dont like to lean so far" killed all the fun of riding. Always soft luggage with atleast a spare coat and spare 3 gallon tour tank (usually full) on renntec sport rack out back, weigh 190 lbs. Just finished off a perelli angel as my last tire, made it a hair under 5k. Im hard on the throttle, in the straights. The shinko rear is my next victim. Will try the road pilot 2 next, just cant bring myself to the darker side.

I'm down to the rear tire wear bars in 3500 miles on the OEM BT015, that's the fastest I've ever gone through a tire.
I usually get over double that, will be spooning on a set of Angel GT this week.

My PR3 cost 177 to the door and eventhough I've only put 3K on it, it looks new and is suppose to deliver 15K miles. A well known dude has said he gets 15K and has been through 3 sets so far. He just posted up 10K miles on his brand new Busa.

The Shinko will not save you money. I shreaded one in 1800 miles one time and was glad to get rid of it.

always get about 5k on PP and PP2CT. This season I went for PR3. About to see what I can get out of these. hoping for 8k.

I got around 12K out of my last set of PR2's. I ride 120 miles round trip commute which is 100 miles of interstate. The miles add up quick and the tires last a long time.

I am currently saving pennies for a 2013 FJR, but the Busa is a good highway bike until then.

Back