Busa for paraplegic

dewie

Registered
Guess who's back boys,

Back in June 2009 I went on a trip on my 05 Busa and was all most home when a driver with no signal or brake lights cut me off and left me paralyzed from my armpits down and 10 broken bones and my wife was 7 months preggo with our first kid. I had full leather gear head to toe other wise I would not be here right now. Here's a link to the thread - https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/115701-dewie-went-down.html

After the wreck I swore I would ride again but figured I would have to settle for a Canam spyder since that doesn't require any balance. I bought one and with the help of my dad we modified it so I could ride. But man those are hard to steer thru corners and are a far cry from a real bike. I would by a convertible before I bought a Spyder again because it's the same thing.

So after looking on youtube I seen a video of some guy who claims to make landing gear kits for sportbikes. I emailed him multiple times and no response. So what do you do when you get ignored by a vendor?? Build a better product. With a ton of help from a great friend and amazing fabricator and fellow Busa rider we came up with this landing gear set up. Its twice as strong, half the size if not smaller, and is completely hidden as much as it can be. Its is driven by a electric actuator that I control up and down by re-wiring a Gen 2 handlebar switch with the up and down arrows.

Here is a small list of mods,
Custom one of a kind landing gear setup
Pingel electric shifter
Thumb brake for the rear tire
Soupys Lowering kit so transferring from my wheelchair is easier
Racing 905 crash cage in case I tip over and its a great cage
A aftermarket back up camera pointed at the landing gear so I can physically see if its up or down or in the middle.
Gear indicator
floor boards so my feet stay flat and don't roll off the peg
Leds lights and Yoshi pipes so people see and hear me
Large tankbag to help hold me up and save my arms
And just finished my wheelchair rack made from a luggage rack so I can haul my chair anywhere.

I could not have done it with out the help from Colin and my dad. Nice to have support like that to get things back to normal or close as possible. I can only ride 70-80% right now but I'll take that vs sitting on a couch feeling sorry for myself.

Here is a few pics of the black beauty. This is the closet feeling I've had to walking since the wreck. Nice to have a truly one of a kind Busa.

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01512.jpg

There is a guy who rides TRACKDAYS in ADVANCED at Barber that has landing gear on his race bike. Not the same as these, but it's amazing to watch him HAUL AZZ on the track. Impressive.

WOW, that is so amazing, to see you take something that is just so tragic and turn it completely around so you can continue to do what you enjoy so much!

What an inspiration you are, and I'm thrilled to see you're able to get out and do what you love!!! Just humbled right now...thanks so much for sharing!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That's incredible, Bro! I'm glad to see that you didn't give up and didn't let "it" get the best of you! So glad to see you back on TWO wheels!! :thumbsup:

Congrats on the engineering marvel you made and my hat is off to you for the determination to see the project to completion and ride again. There's no feeling like hanging on to the bars and watching the world go by off the seat of your bike. Nothing even comes close. Enjoy your ride.

Just wanted say I am truly humbled by your fortitude, it's amazing to see what you've been able to do to get back on two wheels. Hats off to you sir, that is incredible. Keep on keeping on, it's obvious riding is a huge part of your life and I'm glad to see you enjoying it!

Dewie, I know we talked about this and all the plans. Sir you have just shown the world anything is possible with Imagination and Determination. It sent a little tingle thru me to see you riding off. My hats off to you.. Be safe, and ride your ride..

That's just great!!! Glad you found a way to keep doing what you love.! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Back