Thoughts on cruisers??

1busa

Registered
I was just trying to get some opinions from my fellow busa riders on cruisers and what their opinions of them are. I was thinking about getting a cruiser style motorcycle as a 2nd bike, something with forward controls and a little more of relaxed ergonomics so I can go on a weekend trip with my girl. The only problem I have is the bikes that I have rode are so incredibly slow and underpowered that I can see myself getting bored and perhaps falling asleep on the trip while riding :laugh: I had about 30 minutes to kill before an appointment the other day so I walked a block down to the Harley shop. Yes I know.......... like I said I was bored and my only other option was to sit in a chair and listen to elevator music so anyways. They had just got in a 2013 Night rod, and although I've never been a big HD fan this bike caught my eye. Upon further inspection I noticed things like Brembo brakes? and a few other performance goodies that I didnt expect from HD, it was pretty comfortable as well. The only thing I didnt like was the $16k price tag that was attached, but when I compared it to some of the other bikes in there it was actually one of the cheapest bikes. So has anybody rode one of these or have any comparisons to other models ie: SuzukiM109R, Honda Fury, or Yamaha Stryker, etc? Like I said I really dont trust anybody's opinion that doesnt ride a busa because when I ask people they all tell me bikes like those have plenty of power and are very fast but none of them have rode a busa so I question where they are getting their perspectives from? I dont want to burn up the asphalt on a cruiser, thats what I got my busa for however I still want something that is gonna be enjoyable to ride and I wont wanna trade it in after a few months :whistle:

nightrod_zpse6ea692e.jpg

Well, the guys I ride with in the upstate have been pushing me to buy a bagger. The truth is I can barely afford the Busa, so a second bike is out of the question and I would never part company with my '08. Not in the near future anyway. I've been on one with 110 ci motor and there's a lot to like but the bike never got over 117.

I went to Daytona with them this fall and they had comfort issues not me. I probably would have been just as comfy on the bagger.

That price is for the bare bike no options and HD likes their options

The M109R is lightyears ahead of the Vrod in the comfort department. Maybe not so much in the reliability and performance end (depending who you ask)
But hands down better looking than the Vrod.

Yeah the one they had in the showroom was gonna be $16k or so out the door. The only options that werent included were the ABS which I absolutely want no part of and the HD alarm system. The Brembo package was included. Hey Bots I seen a new M109r recently and IDK if it was just the paint scheme or what but it looked incredibly cheap. Even my girl commented on how she doesnt like the plastic look to it, maybe if it was black or a darker color but the light blue didnt compliment the design IMO

Yeah the one they had in the showroom was gonna be $16k or so out the door. The only options that werent included were the ABS which I absolutely want no part of and the HD alarm system. The Brembo package was included. Hey Bots I seen a new M109r recently and IDK if it was just the paint scheme or what but it looked incredibly cheap. Even my girl commented on how she doesnt like the plastic look to it, maybe if it was black or a darker color but the light blue didnt compliment the design IMO

ALOT of plastic chrome on the 109.. I'll admit to it looking cheap. But you get past that. Quite a bit looks cheap on the Vrod once you start hanging around them.

I had the same issue. Wanted something a bit more comfy with hard bags for touring. I purchased a Concours last spring and have been quite pleased. The Connie doesn't have busa speed or grunt but the de-tuned ZX14 motor has plenty of grunt all the way through the powerband similar to the busa. I am impressed with the wind protection, heated grips and adjustable electric wind screen. Heated grips are a real treat on chilly days.

The Connie comes equipped with ABS brakes. I'm not fond of ABS on sportbikes but I can tell you the linked ABS brakes on the Connie work exceptionally well. After a season of riding the ABS equipped Connie I have become an ABS advocate on touring bikes, especially in the rain or any slippery conditions.

A little food for thought!

My advice, go on demo day rides. I rode a dyna this summer, and bike ran well, was solid, I just don't care for the cruiser riding position or experience.

I have a garage full of bikes, none of them are Harleys. I;ve owned cruisers in the past, I am born and raised in Milwaukee and have ridden many Harley's. I took a Crossbones to the Grand Caynon, rode a Nightrod 800 miles in one weekend and I still can't convince myself to get a Harley. I have had a Suzuki Boulevard before, I totaled it (dumb me) and although Iliked it, I didnt love it the way I have loved sportbikes. The Busa is my cruiser, it's just Un Godly fast when I want it to be. The Ducati is now my 1 up bike.

What I can't figure out for the life of me is how HD comes up with their prices? Take the Vrod for instance, had HP, liquid cooled, I think 210 or 220 rear tire, Brembo brakes all around and its 16k but a Fat boy slim minus the HP, radiator, fatter tire, and Brembo package costs exactly the same.........?

Well, the guys I ride with in the upstate have been pushing me to buy a bagger. The truth is I can barely afford the Busa, so a second bike is out of the question and I would never part company with my '08. Not in the near future anyway. I've been on one with 110 ci motor and there's a lot to like but the bike never got over 117.

I went to Daytona with them this fall and they had comfort issues not me. I probably would have been just as comfy on the bagger.

That price is for the bare bike no options and HD likes their options

We went yesterday to the HD shop in Columbia and I feel in love with this, 23k, I told myself I would never own one but after riding one I'm gonna look real hard at one next year but keep the Busa to.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Forum Runner

ForumRunner_20130130_173005.png

I seen the concours and honestly looks wise it did nothing for me. Never been a big Cowasaki fan to begin with but if I was gonna spend all that money on a new Cow it would have to be the ZX14 just so I could see wtf is all the fuss about :laugh:

I have been looking at a second bike and I'm looking BMW all the way. I want something for real long trips. the 1200 is nice but i really want a 1600. Guy in my office got a 1600 for $20K. 1 year old, guy traded it in on a car?!?.

Anyway, to me a cruiser is for local riding. The Busa might be more comfortable on the hiway for a long day. If you are looking for a cruiser, the top dog there as far as performance and coolness is the Ducati.

Harley makes a great bike if you leave the motor pretty much stock.

The Harley's grow on you in ways other bikes don't.

I got rid of my 2008 Blk/Orange Hayabusa. I bought a 2012 Super Glide Custom. Now I really like all bikes, anything with two wheels is great. But I really, really, really miss my Hayabusa.

No motorcycle is lacking for power (they all have plenty), but no Harley will touch the Busa for power.

When I test rode the Harley I ride now, all the salesman and one of the senior mechanics asked "What do you think about that?" This was a happy conversation. I told them "Seems way under powered, for such a large displacement engine." All the salesman started raggin on me "What are you talkin about, under powered?" Before I could answer the mechanic asked "What bike are you coming off of?" I answered "2008 Hayabusa" , He replied "Don't have anything here to compete with that power. We all agreed and had a chuckle. But all the people at the HD dealership were, and still are great people.

Oh I know that no HD can touch a busa, even a turbo night rod I seen still only had like 160HP or something like that and harley guys were freaking like that's a lot! Fallen I don't disagree that BMW and ducati don't make sweet bikes but they cost more than HD. I seen the nightrod and liked the overall lines of the bike and the Brembo's were a nice touch as well. I just gotta test drive 1 and see how it performs. Its got an aggressive look which i like but for the price I could buy a leftover 2012 busa and throw on some parts that are cruiser friendly

Back