Building a bike

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
So I have been building a bike for the past two years...with the great help from many friends extra time and efforts. Last Monday I parted ways where I worked...so now the bike was brought home and I'm left to complete it myself. Please say what you like or do not like...it will give me additional ideas. I plan on using hard lines for the oil lines. The right side tank is part fuel and the back half is oil...there is a divider in it. It is based on a Dave Cook bike...that is where I bought the wheels and sourced the frame..it is almost time to fire up the eng...also I have an autoclutch...so non clutch lever...it will be interesting setting up and riding a bike like this.

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

I do want to finish it and ride it for fun...it would not be a long distance bike...the fun / headache is most the parts are hand made...cardboard cut outs and then plasma / water knife cut from metal. During the project I learned to weld much better and found several ways to not do things...the guys would let me do what I want and then tell me why I'm going wrong...then offer some help to get me back on track. Next I'm trying to make a kick stand / center stand and the oil lines...then I can fire the engine...that in itself will give me a bunch of motivation to finish it before summer...I plan to ride it unpainted for a season just to see what areas need to be addressed...cracked welds or parts rubbing...painting it with a 99cent walmart can may happen to keep the rust down

Really will be special....and the low bars are so much better looking (for me) and draw the eye to the beautiful hardtail profile. Good luck with completion and throw us a pic now and then!

I like it, since you ask what we like and don't like I must mention.....

That rear brake looks sick, but also like it will grab hard. Hopefully you can limit pressure to it so it won't bite ya.

And I like a little lower seat, and on a custom when the rear fender ends just behind the seat.

Other than those thoughts looks pretty sweet.

I did not make that tank...I bought the stamped halves...put a divider in the one side for the oil and then put a back on each tank.

The eagle is shift lever...I have to cut it down a hair more for clearance.

Hopefully today I can run out and get some more brass pipe fitting and a roll of copper line...and begin bending up the needed lines. I have a hand held bender but not the patience to use it that well...so it will be an interesting experience.

Has anybody used one of the auto clutch setups?

Bauer CUSTOMS - EFM Auto Clutch - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The fork legs flex a bit when I turn the bars...how far up can I move the legs? Could I move them an inch or so?

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

It is ok to raise the forks up in the clamp provided that I stay within the same area...as far as the outside dia? I don't see why not...I just want to be sure.

A few new pics...still looks the same. It took some time and effort to make the engine top mount, coil mount, rectifier mount and a bunch of small things I forgot about. I am hoping that as I put it together that this is the last time before I fire it...I'll give it a real paint job after I ride it without problems for a few months. One more expense is buying the throttle cables from motion pro...I want the all black ones.

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

Back