Tank decals removal

sc3001

Registered
Ok so Ive seen videos on youtube on how to remove tank decals under clear coat. They say to score around the outside edge of the decal, heat, then peel the decal, wetsand to blend, then buff away. Is this true? Ive heard that there is usually clear coat under the decal as the decals stick to clear better than wavy base coat, then its recleared after decal is applied. This true? Im hoping some guys who have removed this decal for custom paint will chim in to confirm this or not. I have an 08 and would love to not have to repaint the tank!???

use a hair dryer and put some heat on stickers and start peeling off with your nail and get rid of the glue/sticky leftover with some solvent and polish the surface with some wax and wipe..hope you don't see any discoloration depends on how old is the bike or how much sun caused some discoloration..

Im New here so Im chimin in. Im ppg and nexa auto color certified. Ive painted hundreds of cars and one of my rods was chosen for the syracuse nationals banner for this year.
I also have a gen 2 busa. I started removing all the smaller decals with a mild heat gun and a rubber eraser wheel. Wanted to do the main decals but yes the tank is cleared over. I left it ti make the long story short.

I do not believe someone could just cut it out. When i do a blend on a car reducing my clear down to a thinner and thinner mill, i need at least 8 inches. If i use an exacto and trace out something like the decal, im going to have a mill thickness difference and a hardline.... there will simply be 2 levels of clear. If i wet sand using 2000/3000, yes i could knock it down, but with every stroke im also knocking down the thinner level where the decal used to be. Very high risk and i just dont see how you can get the hardline swnded enough where you wouldnt see it.. if i were to try it, i wouldnt be an average joe doing it because it would require skill. And make sure buffer is running away from hard edge very slow.

Just my two cents. Most of the time areas like this when they have a step level require it to be totally sanded out.

Yeah you pretty much read my mind. Thats why im not willing to start cutting unless some has bigger balls than me and has attempted this,:please: with success!

you do what you think is right but i have done many of these with factory stickers.. here is my 03 ???? guess what no stickers.. what kind of bike is that??:laugh:

007.jpg

007.jpg

I've been here going on 5 years and have never seen a thread where someone was able to get that decal off without doing a full paint job on the tank.

you do what you think is right but i have done many of these with factory stickers.. here is my 03 ???? guess what no stickers.. what kind of bike is that??:laugh:

View attachment 257812

here is the 2005 busa replace factory sticker with after market stickers no problem!!

05 busa.jpg

05 busa.jpg

He has a second gen. Totally different stickers that are cleared over. And as a painter, i do not believe that suzuki would take the time to paint a tank, let it cure, sticker and rescuff (scratch it) and clear it again. It has a small risk of issues such as seeing the scuff marks or peeling down the road. You can see factory cars with peeling clear on clear everyday due to just a shift change. I would plan on mild paint ti make it right or not do it at all.

He has a second gen. Totally different stickers that are cleared over. And as a painter, i do not believe that suzuki would take the time to paint a tank, let it cure, sticker and rescuff (scratch it) and clear it again. It has a small risk of issues such as seeing the scuff marks or peeling down the road. You can see factory cars with peeling clear on clear everyday due to just a shift change. I would plan on mild paint ti make it right or not do it at all.

i see your point about the side of tank decals not the 'S' sticker..

The s sticker will almost fall off. The scallop style sticker thats part of the art work on the fairing is cleared over. The fairing is not

The warning stickers were kind of a PITA to take off. I had to hair dryer them for awhile and pick and peel. Once I finally got them off I just used to goo gone and wiped clean. The ones on the frame, I just left. I wouldn't mind trying to tackle that job. Its just time and elbow grease!! As for the fairings I haven't taken them off my busa. I did my R6, the same way and I didn't have to repaint. I got all new graphix from tapeworks.com

If anyone has a junk 08 or 09 tank and wants to attempt this, looks like it could be useful info to know.

Since they are cleared over, I wouldn't suggest attempting to remove them. Gen1 tank is also cleared over. Rest of bike isn't

Back