Phone tuning app, PCV

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone ever thought about putting the Power Commander (or for that matter an ECU editor) program onto phones? Yeah, I know...I never thought I would have needed it either until:

We did some tuning on the bike and opened up the auto tune % to a wider range to see how it would tune out using different race fuels, etc.

After the event I had the top end redone and forgot to narrow down the % range of the auto tune. Went on a ride the other day (about 100 miles or so) and ran good until the last 20 miles homeward and I notice the AFR guage shooting pretty high on acceleration but read fine at cruise.

Anyway, I got home and hooked up the laptop and sure enough something had made the trim tabs go to my max settings on the lean side so I adjusted the trim out. Went for a test ride and ran fine.

I know everyone does not run into a situation such as this and many do not run an autotune program, but my thoughts are if something went wacky 200 miles away from home...what are you going to do with no laptop.

It defeats the purpose of the autotune to turn it off.

One question is, what made it tune to the lean side. I have a couple theories on that.

One is I still had some old 112 octane race fuel in the tank that maybe had gone bad.

Second is we had added some extra fuel through the ECU (because my A/F sensor had gone bad and was not reading) but this extra fuel should be only on a toggle switched map, not all the time.

Anyway, I can see a need for a phone app to be able to plug into a Power Commander unit or ECU editor in an emergency.

You could also buy the map switch buttom and have a base map that you always have and can go back to if needed. That way if autotune is acting up, you can just push the buttom to go to your base map.

I actually have a map switch button for the ECU...don't know if that would work for the PCV but that might be a good way to go.

Still want to see some thoughts on a phone app.

Not claiming to be an expert but the only way to really do it would be to build a log-box device (such as JW's) that connects to the ECU and logs all data and would act as a hard interface between the phone and the ECU. the log-box would need Bluetooth and act as a server to the client application. it would need all the storage and would need to store the map for editing and writing. the app communicates with the box, makes the changes and then issues and write command which would dump the bin file to the ecu. it would need to be powered as well. i am not sure if JW's box is powered or not (gen 1 here) but Smith's editor cable gets the power from the PC via USB.

Back