Who's faster in the twisties? Sports Car or Motorcycle

E Zurcher

Registered
So I consider myself an experienced rider but I have no experience on a racetrack. I have carved my way through plenty a mountain road at high speeds but not nearly to the skill level of most of you all. My riding buddy has far more skill and can spank me at will on his Honda 919 or his Gen 1. I guess you could say my self preservation skills kick in before his. Yeah I'm Chicken!!

I recently read a story about a Road Racer on a Duc 1198 Panigale vs a Ferrari California. The Duc won by a large margin at the strip of course and also won at the track but not by a lot. The caveat is the Duc rider was a pro and a normal person would have lost.

Here's the question, in the right hands, what has the capability to be faster on a twisty road, Sports car or Street Bike?

My guess would be a stock Corvette or Porsche 911, Camaro SS or Mustang GT would have the advantage in a street fight where there are not any long straight sections.

Thoughts?

one rider/driver....equally familiar on BOTH a bike and a sports car is BEST IMHO to even out variables. So hopefully, we have a guy like that here.
Otherwise, let the guesses/conjectures begin.
FWIW, I ride better in my Busa vs. my Porsche in the twisties....and I am NOT a good rider/driver in either one. Now, I just got an excuse to post a pic of my OTHER toy :)

3563902-noob-asking-for-opinions-inputs-about-price-finally-ready-to-buy-my-1st-porsche-cimg0308.jpg

This is all going to be opinions, what-ifs, and hypotheticals, but keep in mind that the California is a touring car, and not a pure-bred sporting machine.

So many variables!

Last vid I saw along these lines was a Ferrari 458vs Ducati 1198 around willow springs, the Duc won by a small margin.

I went through the Dragon with Jet-Li in his Lotus, we were chasing his brother, a better than average rider, on his 1200 Buell, he couldn't get away, doesn't prove much, but it was a great time!

well, it all things being equal meaning both the motorcycle rider and car driver are excellent riders/drivers and both are on sport bikes/cars id say the car will be able to pull more G's around corners without losing it, and will brake a little better. but a 600 will handle better then a Busa and a vette will handle better then most sports cars so there are a lot of variables.

but I would say watch an Isle of Man video and see how fast skilled riders can take corners at very high speeds and then accelerate thru the strights.

but on a twisty road id say a well handling car has the advantage. Camaro SS, Mustang GT? not so much.... Vette, 911? definately!

I agree............ I would have chose the car but after watching the way those guys ride at the Isle of Man I just dont see a car being able to keep up. That opened my eyes to a new level of riding and Im jealous :laugh: Maybe if the car was like a formula 1 race car or something but a Mustang?? no way

While bikes may get close side but side in two different lanes on a sharp twisty road you may be able to look down and see a tire below you hoping like hell it does not lose grip and take you out.

Have you ever been that close in the outer lane to the rear end of a vette when you not only have to worry about your rear wheel traction but his also?

Not that you would go head to head on a two lane road with a cager, just thought I'd put that idea out there.

Thoughts like that make me shudder when you don't know who is driving the car and how well they know how to handle it.

I know that doesn't answer your question, I am just thinking aloud.

I think a less skilled driver would be able to go faster in the car than on the bike. But a GP class racer would have an advantage over an equally skilled dirver in a car. The nature of a motorcycle requires more skill (and B@!!$) to go fast than a car. I know I can push a car harder than I will my bike.

Doesnt the record time at the Dragon and the The Race to the Top at Pikes Peak both belong to cars?

The fastest guy on the twisties (Car or bike) is rarely the best rider/driver but simply the one willing to take the most chances.

More contact patch the better you can do in twisty roads. When you think about the enormous amount variables there are. has to be case to case basis.

But a pro driver in one of the cars you mentioned will have a hard time with a pro rider on a 1K bike and just about any road course circuit.

But the fastest times on a road course are achieved by Formula One cars I think, lots of power, light weight and large contact patch.

The fastest guy on the twisties (Car or bike) is rarely the best rider/driver but simply the one willing to take the most chances.
well, what you and I may think is "Taking chances" may be a strole around the track for an expert road racer so that's true up to a point but after that skill and experience takes over.

one rider/driver....equally familiar on BOTH a bike and a sports car is BEST IMHO to even out variables. So hopefully, we have a guy like that here.
Otherwise, let the guesses/conjectures begin.
FWIW, I ride better in my Busa vs. my Porsche in the twisties....and I am NOT a good rider/driver in either one. Now, I just got an excuse to post a pic of my OTHER toy :)

3563902-noob-asking-for-opinions-inputs-about-price-finally-ready-to-buy-my-1st-porsche-cimg0308.jpg

Damn,you got a Porsche too?!(krom is my RICH friend:laugh:)

Back