I'm such a Dumb@$$

E Zurcher

Registered
Finally got around to adjusting my headlight and when I rolled the bike back in the garage I forgot to put down the kickstand and lost it to the left. Fortunately the garage freezer was right there and I only suffered a broken left mirror mount and the end of my left footpeg broke off. A small scuff on the engine cover and the heat shield for the slip-on. Not a big deal but I am really pissed at myself! Time to give Honda East a call!

dont feel so bad at one time or another we all have done things like that...just a few months ago i was taking my 1k of the rear stand and forgot that the kick stand wasent down...i was pissed at myself...

Sorry to hear that. It's so sickening when you're at that moment when you realize the bike is going over and you can't stop it. I was wheeling mine out of the garage the other day and forgot to unlock the steering because first motion was to move it to the left to get it past the end of the truck.Well instead of being ON the bike I was standing on the left side.As I went to straighten the bars out and push it straight the bars didn't straighten and that tiny momentum the bike had caused it to start to go over to the right. Luckily I was clear of the truck and I managed to ease it onto the concrete somewhat but that last foot is always straight down.Needless to say scratched a new mirror, scratched the rgt side fairing some more, and broke the footpeg feeler thingy off the end of the peg.:banghead: It really hurts. Never move it again without sitting on it.

I'm with you jetgod! So I guess we are both looking for a peg and a mirror. I'll take the lefts and you take the rights:laugh:

Hey depending on what year you have I saw a couple of adds on craigslist with mirrors and pegs. You should put your year and mods in your sig so people can help you out. Oops I just saw your garage. Let me check for you.

Ok... just to prove I'm not kidding....

About 2 months ago I'm in the mall outdoor parking lot driving my large and long crew cab dually with my girlfriend in the passenger seat.

I see this lady walking along and it's a windy day. The wind blew her shopping receipt right out of her hand and off it goes across the parking lot and she's running after it.

Several other good samaritans on foot try leaping and diving for this fast moving paper trying to help.

My Starsky and Hutch instincts kick in and I take off in the truck after this paper and get right in front of it.... opening my door...removing my seat belt... getting ready to jump out...

... so in one quick motion, I slow the truck to like walking speed, throw it in neutral (so it will roll a few more feet before stopping) and leap out to grap this paper.

I fumble with catching the paper and I start hearing my name being screamed.

Turns out my truck was in "D", not "OD" and the 1 step up to neutral I thought I was doing actually left the truck in gear and now my truck (and girlfriend) are doing 5-6mph through this parking lot without me!

My girlfriend is belted in and can't reach the controls and I'm sprinting after the truck that I have no hope of catching (I almost got to the door at first... it was like those movies where the guy's running to jump on the back of a moving train).

20 or 30' later my girlfriend manages to get unbelted and apply the foot brake with her hands! The truck had probably travelled 60' without me.

Somehow in the panic, I dropped the receipt.

Of course, I had like 8 people witness this. I was lucky the path in front of the truck was clear.

Moral? Kickstand up vs Kickstand down ..... OD vs N...

Little things that make a difference, but normally seem automatic until they aren't.

Feel any better now?

:)
Sean
P.S. The worst part is that neither the onlookers, nor my girlfriend had any idea that I thought the truck was in neutral, so it basically looked like I jumped out of a moving vehicle for this paper... UGH!

What are you talking about???? I do crap like this all the time! :)

:laugh:

First time,mine rolled forward off the kickstand and ended up dropping $500 for a new left side fairing and clutch lever.Second time(couple years later)i'd pulled up in the driveway/shut it off and was talking to the ol'lady and her sister for a few minutes(while still sittin' on the bike),go to step off and when it kept going over realized my forgetful azz forgot to put the kickstand down(rather than go through that $500 fairing replacement again this time i said screw that and just kept my leg under it...that and the big turbo filter took the brunt of it and other than a mashed up air filter neither the fairing or my leg was any worse for wear:thumbsup:).:laugh:

man thats like a bad dream, of course ive had one or two of those.

Back