Speedometer

Should just be a plug and play. If I remember correctly the plug is the same.

It just depends if you want to buy a used cluster or a NEW one for $500.
wow.gif

You can't just swap out the 185 gauge for a 220 because the ratio is off. It will always read fast.

Josh
cool.gif

You can just change faces to 220 and add a yellow box to calibrate them!!

<!--EDIT|monsterspeedfreak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105473869 -->

The freak is right. I put on some indiglo 220's on my '03 and calibrated it with a GPS and a yellow box. It's almost dead on at legal speeds although I haven't checked to see if it gets incrementally off when you get way up into the triple digits. I tried this weekend, but my GPS wouldn't register more than 158mph max speed. Maybe it wasn't tracking the satelites at the time. Will try again.

Should just be a plug and play.  If I remember correctly the plug is the same.

It just depends if you want to buy a used cluster or a NEW one for $500.
wow.gif

You can't just swap out the 185 gauge for a 220 because the ratio is off.  It will always read fast.  

Josh
cool.gif
If you swap out the instrument cluster, your mileage will be off. Not good especially if you sell the busa later.

Or you could pop the needle off, a spoon works good, and swap out the face plate. Then, if the inaccurate speedo bothers you, you can calibrate it with a yellow box. I didn't, because I don't really care what the speedo reads, I just wanted the 220mph to impress the girls. I might calibrate it down the road...

The speedo will still be off at higher speeds if you just change the face plate to 220mph EVEN WITH THE YELLOW BOX! The gauge is different and will read WAY OFF when the speeds get over 120+mph.

You either have to buy the 220MPH cluster when the bike is NEW or you have to deal with a incorrect odometer when swapping clusters. I have tried several companies and am yet to find one that can reprogram a used cluster to your current odometer reading.

So you have to pick.....correct odometer or 220MPH gauge cluster......hhhmmm....?

Only a dealer working through the manufactuer can reset odometers.  Its illegal for any of us to even try and reprogram an odometer.  And most dealers won't even touch odometer resetting unless your bike was totalled and its in their shop.

And if you really care about true speed, go GPS or Radar.
Otherwise, who cares....
By the way, the 220 looks
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105559480 -->

The speedo will still be off at higher speeds if you just change the face plate to 220mph EVEN WITH THE YELLOW BOX!  The gauge is different and will read WAY OFF when the speeds get over 120+mph.

You either have to buy the 220MPH cluster when the bike is NEW or you have to deal with a incorrect odometer when swapping clusters.  I have tried several companies and am yet to find one that can reprogram a used cluster to your current odometer reading.

So you have to pick.....correct odometer or 220MPH gauge cluster......hhhmmm....?
I thought that if you swap faceplates that you could use the speedohealer or yellowbox to account for the difference between the two (180 vs 220)?

Is this a wrong assumption?

The speedo will still be off at higher speeds if you just change the face plate to 220mph EVEN WITH THE YELLOW BOX!  The gauge is different and will read WAY OFF when the speeds get over 120+mph.

You either have to buy the 220MPH cluster when the bike is NEW or you have to deal with a incorrect odometer when swapping clusters.  I have tried several companies and am yet to find one that can reprogram a used cluster to your current odometer reading.

I thought that if you swap faceplates that you could use the speedohealer or yellowbox to account for the difference between the two (180 vs 220)?

Yer correct, but they will still be a bit out at high speed....grab a gps if ya need accurate!!

Yes....

The 185 cluster has a different sweep ratio than the 220mph cluster. That is why when the speeds increase the gauge will be way off. It will never be spot on, it is just for looks!

Get a GPS if you want to prove something to yourself. Hell, anyone can peg the stock speedo but that doesn't mean it's actual.

Wow, I'm glad I looked at this topic.

I was thinking about getting some custom 220 gauges from speedhut.com and I was going to get the speedohealer to adjust it.

But now I guess that speedohealer is out the window! I won't waste the money on it, if it isn't going to fix anything! I don't feel like buying GPS either cause then you gotta deal with mounting it (and of course paying for it!)

So I guess the next time an officer pulls me over and asks how fast I was going, I can say, "I can honestly say I have no idea."

Back