I went to the Darkside - AKA, car tire on the bike

jphilipson

Registered
Well, I went and joined the Darkside :laugh:

Fitted a Bridgestone Potenza G 19 Grid, 205/50zr17 on the rear yesterday. Fitting it on the bike was close. The mounted tire was about 8 inches wide, and barely clears the chain (less than a 1/2 inch - more like an 8th). Took it for a test ride, and no evidence that the chain is ever touching so far.

IMG_20121016_214222.jpg

First impression: It's going to take some getting used to, but not giving up. Requires a lot of input, and you can definitely feel the additional unsprung weight on the rear with the lighter bike. Turning is still odd, requires a bit more pressure to initiate a turn and you have to keep more pressure through the turn. The turn-in is weird at the point where the tire starts lifting because it falls in real quick after a period of needing more input. I need to play with pressure a bit more. I started at 30 and dropped down to 28 (FJR guys usually run 30 on the heavier bike) - felt a little better. I think on this bike I can probably drop another lbs or two.

Overall grip - I did some tight turns and no sign of slipping at all. It actually seemed like it was faster through really tight slow turns. Note: that the car tire doesn't have less contact patch even in the tightest turns, it just has a wider contact patch when going straight. Here's a good video showing that -
on the Darkside - car tire on a motorcycle - contact patch - YouTube[/url].

Why? Because I do a lot of long distance riding, and the rear tire every 7k is starting to get old. A lot of other folks in the long distance riding community have been running car tires for years with no problems, typically on FJR's, Honda ST's, Goldwings and other sport touring/touring bikes.

I'll update when I get a bit more saddle time.

Let the bashing begin! :laugh: :poke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fired. You've taken the one thing away that makes the bike nice. The ability to lean in a curve. There's so many nice sport touring tires out there... Why?

Is it safe? What about the ability to quickly evade something in the road or some A-hole running a stop sign? Can you easily predict/plan what that tire will do when you have to fling the bike around? Just thinking of you!

Enough touring tyres out there to fit any requirement. Enough touring bikes out there to fit any requirement. But this ???

Seems nobody likes this idea, they hatin you bro. :laugh:

I've heard of it before on heavier bikes and guys that pull trailers, so the theory is there, just never thought I'd see it on a Busa. I did love the Potenza's I had on my car tho :thumbsup:

Seems nobody likes this idea, they hatin you bro. :laugh:

It's OK, I was expecting it - that's how darkside threads always go.

And just to clarify, the bike still leans and has just as much contact patch, if not more, at full lean angle than a m/c tire; it's just a different profile. Am I saying it's better, and everyone should do it? No. It's just a different option. Heck, I'm not even sure yet if I will stick with it, need to log a few K miles on it.

Here's a pic of my friends FJR :whistle: - seems to lean just fine :poke:

Colorado%2520July%25202012%2520%2528272%2529.jpg

I run a car tire on my '04 Nomad. I understand why you are trying it out and you are correct a lot of STs and FJRs have the car tire with no problems. The folks that HAVE NOT researched or even read up on the concept just do not understand and will hate on you. I personally don't plan on using a CT on my Busa, but that's my choice. On my Nomad (~800 lbs. ) it works great, long distance, sometimes pulling a trailer, riding the Dragon, etc...Yes, it corners and leans just fine. To the naysayers, do a little research, there's a whole lot of benefits to using a CT.

I, for one, am interested in your feedback and thoughts.

100_0987.jpg

100_1588.jpg

some reading and information.....I don't know anyone that has changed to a car tire without doing research, asking other DS riders questions, etc...it's not for everyone and if you are closed to the idea, then that's your choice. Others have different opinions and information.

Riding on the Darkside

Darkside Tire Info Center

I am glad you were expecting harsh responses from most anyone in the motorcycle community.
The only application I expected anyone to ever use a flat profile tire on a bike was a wrinkle-wall drag slick.
I understand that , on a dedicated drag bike.
7k/rear tire is more than fair service from a tire that is engineered for motorcycles that lean.

I clicked on both of those Darkside links above , and the bikes on those sites were over 90% cruisers.
I am not surprised. :laugh:
And I noticed that FJR guy is not wearing gloves , another crazy choice when it comes to riding at any speed.

Back