Uclear HBC100

beachz

Registered
Well, I have been looking at getting a BT helmet set-up for a while. After pulling my inadvertently pulling my earplugs out twice this week and getting tired of have sore ears, I spent the cash. CycleGear had the single HBC100 on sale for $149.99 (don't forget they also do a military discount). Several local sportbike guys I know have them and have been happy.

So far, so good. Looks to be a great value. Installation was easy, especially since I washed my liner and cheek pads yesterday so they were already out. Pairing to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus was simple and quick. Pandora streams perfectly. Speakers sound a little tinny but from the reviews I read, I expected that. I will probably cover them with something to take the higher frequency down a little. Had the wife call me (in the house) and voice answer worked as advertised and she said it sounded great. As soon as I get out on the bike, I will follow up with a real world review and let you all know what I think at speeds.

If I am happy with it, I will be getting another for Karen and probably two sets of ear buds so that we can use the intercom capability off the bike for our business.

RWM_8931.jpg

RWM_8937.jpg

Rode for about an hour this morning and am happy with my purchase. Made a few calls and although everyone said they knew I was outside, no one suspected I was riding the bike... with the shield open and running highway speeds. Music streaming worked perfectly too. Adequate volume but still wish there was a little more "low" or bass. Not as full a sound as ear buds but that was to be expected. I will pick up another one soon to test the intercom feature. Can't find the ear buds available anywhere but will be watching for those (not to use on the bike though). :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting your review. I'm stuck between the Uclear HBC200 Dual or the Cardo Scala Q2 Multiset. And, I saw that you had the HBC100 installed in your Shoei helmet. I'm confident the Uclear will fit my Shoei now with easy install. I like the "boomless" mic feature on the Uclear. Post if you find ear buds for it. Can't wait 'til I get a set!

Curious what kind of pipes you have on the bike?
How high do you have to turn music or calls up to hear them? Once you stop listening and take helmet off do you feel deaf from the high volume?

And do you have to touch the buttons on unit outside of helmet or did you say it has voice command?

I ask because I sometimes use the earbuds from my iPhone for navigating/music and use a piece of masking tape to hold them in so they don't pull out when helmet goes on. With iPhone volume maxed out I can barely hear the tunes or her voice for navigation. I'm sure my AlienHead ain't helping much.

I'm kinda interested on how systems like this work out for people who use ear protection. Do you have to give up your plugs to listen to music and receive calls, or do they some how cut down on riding noise?

Curious what kind of pipes you have on the bike?
How high do you have to turn music or calls up to hear them? Once you stop listening and take helmet off do you feel deaf from the high volume?

And do you have to touch the buttons on unit outside of helmet or did you say it has voice command?

I ask because I sometimes use the earbuds from my iPhone for navigating/music and use a piece of masking tape to hold them in so they don't pull out when helmet goes on. With iPhone volume maxed out I can barely hear the tunes or her voice for navigation. I'm sure my AlienHead ain't helping much.

I have the same set up. I started with it in my Shoei RF-1000 and then moved it to my Scorpion EXO-1100. I leave the volume all the way up. When you put the helmet on and don't have the bike started, it's a "little" loud. Probably a little louder than you would just sit and listen to it at home with headphones on. But once you fire up the bike, the sound level is perfect. I have V&H headers with M4 Retro Drag exhaust. I can hear my Pandora perfectly at 80 mph, face shield open or closed. It is a little tinny. But on the iPhone, you can go into your sound settings and choose different EQ's. I found that choosing "small speakers" is perfect for the Uclear. It pulls out some highs and adds in some lows. The speakers will NOT come out when you pull the helmet off. They velcro in. On the Shoei, they stuck directly to the shell. In the Scorpion, there is a small cutout and a nice, soft, material piece that goes over them. In any event, they don't actually touch your ears and won't fall out.

Volume on calls is perfect because it auto adjusts loudness. It does NOT auto adjust to music. Just phone calls. But phone calls sound VERY clear. My wife had no idea I was on the bike. Phone calls are voice activated. Just say "answer" or "hello" and it picks up.

I don't think the radio/Pandora stuff is voice activated. You can use the buttons to skip tracks forward and back. The buttons are a little small for using with gloves, but you'll get the feel for them.

Overall, I love the Uclear system. It's inexpensive, easy to pair with your phone, sounds great and doesn't require a boom mike.

Sorry I didn't get back to this but I have been working 10-12 hours a day since I bought it. I completely agree with the review above! I appreciate the heads up on the tone clue. I downloaded an "equalizer" program for my Nexus and it made all the difference in the world. I just use the "pop" preset. If you are looking for a bike to bike setup, this proably isn't the setup for you because of the limited range but otherwise it is a great budget deal. I called my wife on the way to an appointment last week and after about 3 minutes she said she thought I was already in the lobby. :laugh:

Back