I HAD a problem....

kml

Donating Member
Registered
My bike was stuttering randomly and stuttering over bumps. It felt like the FI system shut off for a split second and restarted. When it did the FI light on the dash would come on, the bike seemed to run fine with the light flashing, pulling in the clutch, flicking the kill switch off and on would stop the FI light flashing.

I pulled up the code and it was for the fuel injectors. On a hunch I removed the Power Commander that has a custom map. Now the bike ran much worse, it would stutter, the motor would shut down and restart four or five times with in the space of a few seconds immediately after a roll on up shift from second to third. Although, after removal of the Power Commander the FI light no longer was flashing.

On another hunch I removed the Timing retard Eliminator, this improved things somewhat. The bike no longer stuttered repeatedly but still cuts out over large bumps although not as dramatically as before.

So I decided to trace the harness looking for any damage.

I had no success finding a crimped, bare, corroded, etc etc wire. Then, with a beer induced clumsiness I was rearranging the tool kit in the tail compartment and the tip on a sliding T handle socket wench handle was resting on one of the little black boxes that control the alarm system motion sensors. The wrench slipped from my fingers, dropped no more than a couple of centimeters, tapped the box and the motor shut off. After repeating this neat trick several times moving the wrench to the other side off the tail compartment and securing the box with a zip tie on it's admittedly loose velcro moorings cured the problem completely.

Smooth or rough roads, now it runs like a raped ape . I'm a happy man.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

I try to keep from adding electrical type mods to my bike for this very reason. The less electronics there are the less problems I have..........I quit using Power Commanders years ago and went to the ecu editor (less electronics) as there is nothing worse than chasing electrical issues and it's what I used to do for a living.

Glad you got her sorted out, tomorrow is Saturdat, enjoy your ride.

Scott

Way to go Ken! You have such amazing skills! (lucky duck). Doyle

I'm still stuck on the "I HAD a problem" I thought you are the problem :poke: :laugh:

Glad you found the culprit and got er fixed.:thumbsup:

Ditch the TRE all together unless you REALLY need an unrestricted bike.

Something doesn't make sense - specifically that tapping on the motion sensor cuts off the engine. Why would your alarm or motion sensor be active while the engine is ON? It should be smart enough to disable itself during such times. If a light tapping caused your issue, then there is a chance that engine vibration at a certain rpm which resonates with the your motion sensor could also potentially cause the same effect. I think you still have a problem - by securing the sensor you only masked the issue.

I have to agree , you still have an issue, cold solder joint or something, but at least you know where it's at.

Good find for sure. My bike studdered a couple of times on the way to work one day. Freaked me out a little and I found that I hadn't put the data logger on the velcro very well and it was bouncing around the trunk. Stuck it back on and it has never happened again.

Something doesn't make sense - specifically that tapping on the motion sensor cuts off the engine. Why would your alarm or motion sensor be active while the engine is ON? It should be smart enough to disable itself during such times. If a light tapping caused your issue, then there is a chance that engine vibration at a certain rpm which resonates with the your motion sensor could also potentially cause the same effect. I think you still have a problem - by securing the sensor you only masked the issue.

Who knows? I'll keep riding it till it acts up again...

:laugh:

cheers
ken

Bad connections is the man's worst enemy! I personally did not enjoy the few times I had to restart the engine at highway speeds.

I would worry too much that the engine may cut off at the worst time.

Back