Fork Oil Question

homermacleod

Registered
One of my forks is leaking, so I am going to replace the seals this weekend.

I was looking for suggestions on fork oil. What weight fork oil should I use? My current weight is approximately 220 lbs.

Thanks,
Chris

Stock is 5w.
You can go all the way to 10w.
I'm 175lbs ans 195lbs in leathers, and I put 7w in my gen2. The forks feel a little slower and firmer, but I like it.
You could use heavier springs at 220lbs, especially on a gen1. Thicker oil would be a bandaid.
Pm Tufbusa and let him explain, or he may reply here.

Cool, thanks for the info sixpack577. Someone here suggested 10 weight, but I was wondering if that was enough. When I had my sv, I changed out the springs and 20 weight fork oil was suggested and used.

I sed 5wt as well.It wont respond well with thicker oil.The valving is setup for the thin oil.The seals are easy to do, just take your time.

The valves are fine with what ever weight oil you use.
:whistle:
As stated you, your weight does call for a different spring rate, at least a 1.0, but most likely a 1.1.
The forks are soft the way they sit, oil will make a slight difference, but it is only a slight bandade!
I sed 5wt as well.It wont respond well with thicker oil.The valving is setup for the thin oil.The seals are easy to do, just take your time.

The valving and oil weight do work together. If the valving is setup with spec 5w oil then it will react differently to 10w than valving designed around 10w oil. But it won't hurt anything, it's a tuning variable.

When I resealed my GenI forks I went with 7.5w Sikolene and really liked it. Frankly it's a matter of preference and intended use but I'll say it worked great for me.

The valves are fine with what ever weight oil you use.
:whistle:
As stated you, your weight does call for a different spring rate, at least a 1.0, but most likely a 1.1.
The forks are soft the way they sit, oil will make a slight difference, but it is only a slight bandade!

Pretty sure ya put canola oil in my forks :rofl:

I have 1.1kgs in mine with 7.5 weight oil.......I will be giving 10 weight a try this time around as my seals are also leaking.

Back