Darned Ticket!

E Zurcher

Registered
Well,

After over 30 years with no tickets other than warnings I finally met a hardass cop who ensured my donation to Colorado's highway funds. Traveling from Kittredge Colorado back to Albuquerque, my riding buddy and I pulled out from a gas station and immediately and legally passed a cop in a Grey Charger. My bud traveled ahead and passed a couple of cars that were going about 10 Mph under the limit. Knowing I had the cop behind me about a 50 yards, I waited until I crested the hill ahead, hit my signal and made a nice pass of the two cars while staying under the speed limit. I signalled right and moved back in in front of them and then the lights came on. I honestly thought he was going after my bud and waited for him to pull around but he stayed behind me. So I pulled over and he cited me for not completing the pass within the broken line. I crossed back in just as it turned solid and he nabbed me. Cost me $ 113.50. This guy actually suggested I should have dove in beween the cars (unsafe) when I saw the line go solid. When I started the pass I could not see when the line ended due to the angle of the road. I guess I was screwed either way, if I had sped up he would have nailed me for speeding and if I had backed off when I saw the line change I would have be unsafe if someone was behind me. Fortunately there will be no points against my license because Colorado does not transfer to New Mexico. Not worth the fight in court because it's too far away. I know if it were me I'd have given a Warning. Rant Over!

Figured it was the least I could do for all the wonderful scenery I saw over the weekend. Photos to follow.

yeah lick your wounds and walk away with your insurance premiums unscathed. Next time you have a cop behind you just drive like an old lady :laugh: They are looking for an excuse to get crotch rockets :banghead: guaranteed if that was a hogley davidson you wouldnt be posting this ticket :whistle:

Why didn't you just crest the hill on the back tire passing triple digit speeds and ride off? :laugh:

sounds like he was looking for a reason to get ya.

i try not to let them get behind me if i can help it. i'll pull over and let them get on down the road, if i can.

warnings are nice. got one last weekend. 73 in a 65, fighting the wind. the officer was groovy. didn't raz me much. although it did help i was going to a community fundraiser for the little town he lives in. :beerchug:

ya had a pretty good run of luck, if ya ask me. :thumbs:

he did that so you cant go around saying ive never had a ticket in 30 years:poke::laugh:

cited me for not completing the pass within the broken line.

Man he reached into the bag for that one.

Do you think you being from out of state was part of it?

$113.50 may as well call it a tax. That is a cheap one.

Got my first ticket in 31 years. 26 over the limit. At least I asked for it. The Beemer supermoto who was with us got to ride on.... At least he didn't see me on one wheel just before the curve. Count your blessings.

I think you got in trouble when you passed him....:rulez:, I hold my breath when I do that. He was just not fully appreciating the difficulty of overtaking on the Busa. A little too much twist and you hit trips and pass everybody, grandma the pass and run out of dots... sounds like you almost nailed it.

It is not South Florida where the is a normal thing to do.. Kind of like seeing a cop and tailgating them on the highway for them to move over. Normal everyday FL stuff :laugh:

Why didn't you just crest the hill on the back tire passing triple digit speeds and ride off? :laugh:

If I had the time i'd go to court and i think I could get it reduced at least, problem is the courtroom is 5 hours away. He was absolutely looking for a reason. What got me was he didn't even look me up before he told me he was going to cite me. I was also looking on the rest of the trip and saw at least 10 places where if you passed a typical car going 5-10 under the limit and didn't exceed the limit when passing it would be impossible to finish before the line changed solid. There was also a couple of times where I passed and had to duck in hard to make the line. Yeah, it was definitely a BS ticket.

When they decide to give ya ticket, not much ya can do about it. I once got a ticket for "unreasonable" speed when a cab turned left across my right of way through and intersection...and then stopped across both my lanes of travel, leaving me no where to go. Totaled my bike. My speed: 30 mph, as claimed by the cop and the cabbie...no evidence to support that claim. The ticket was based on this logic: "You would have been able to stop before hitting the cab is you weren't traveling at an 'unreasonable' rate of speed." :banghead:

No points and an out of state ticket. You did well! :)

Back