Dropped tank bolt.

newman

Registered
Thought I would connect up the Sat-Nav charging leads on the bike today .

Managed to drop one of the tank bolts, and it's disappeared down into the left side of the bike somewhere.:banghead:
Lynne's had a feel about and I've Shaken the bike, but no joy.

Any chance it's going to do any damage down there.
Am I going to have to take the fairing off, so I can find it, or can I leave it and get another bolt.

If I've got to take the fairing off, Blanca's video is going to come in handy.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

As long not near moving parts nothing should happen. The fairings aren't bad once you do them. Good luck, done this myself also.:banghead:

The problem with leaving it is that, if it breaks loose, it's possible it could end up interfering with the chain. I would take off the fairing and find the bolt. PS maybe you could use one of those magnetic extension tools to feel around before taking off the fairing.

I wouldn't leave a loose bolt anywhere. I know where it is as I've done same thing. It's sitting right on top of the engine on the valve cover. Yes you're gonna have to take off fairings and maybe the airbox to get it. Don't leave it. You'll hit a bump it'll jump into a fan or fall down and into moving chain and cause it to get thrown or whatever? These are mobile missiles we ride. They need to be in top shape.
Sorry I'm gonna have to :rofl: cuz I've done it too!

Probably sounded like plinko from the price is right :)
And if you've no idea what that is here's a visual....

Only you didn't win 20k :laugh:

I have done the same thing. I ended up taking the fairing off, it took some time to find it, the things hide in the worst places usually. I had to use a flashlight and a little flexible mirror just to find it and had to use a telescoping magnet to reach it.

Go get it! If you leave it in there could become a potential road hazard for one of your mates on two wheels. Besides 30-40 minutes of your time is better than buying a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Fairing off it is then.

Give me practice for when I change my oil.

Where did u find it at? I think just about everytime i drop a bolt it ends up somewhere it could cause damage..for some reason its always down in that sprocket cover..or on the engine bay somewhere..i guess everything usually goes to the left side because it leans that way on the kickstand..

Back