ZX-14 Crash - Draggin The Alpine

TreyYoung

Registered
Had a blast Saturday at the Closed Road Course in Burkesville KY; Draggin the Alpine. Our group had about 20 riders from mid-TN, and the entire event had approximately 100 riders from around the KY, TN, NC, IN areas. We had our own group photographer that road up on his Goldwing just to take pics (some shown below). In one of the passes on the closed course, a couple of us were finding our way to the front of the pack. Donny on his BMW S1000RR, and I had just passed (thank goodness) this ZX-14 shown below, when all hell broke lose (the guy was OK and walked away):

DSC_3520a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Body position.
Glad he's ok. Proof gear works.

I agree. I'm no expert by any means, however it looks to me like he had his head in the center of the bike if not a touch to the right
going into a left hand turn. Also his butt was pretty centered too. I thought the whole idea of leaning off is so that the bike can stay
more upright. That way you don't write a check that your tires can't cash.

When I watch the pro's racing there heads are past where the mirror would be, and I have seen some where there shoulder almost touches
the ground.

He appeared to be a big guy and all his weight and body position made him top heavy.
That my 2 cents worth.

I'm not saying I could do a lot better, because I would be the slow one at the back of the pack - at least until I had 30 passes or so on that road.

Body positioning is correct. I added a couple more pics below, one of our better riders in the group (Eddie) with his correct body positioning, another with a few of us before the ride up to Burkesville:

Eddie.JPG

10-RR, 12-ZX10.JPG

Eddie.jpeg

10-RR, 12-ZX10.jpeg

Body positioning is correct. I added a couple more pics below, one of our better riders in the group (Eddie) with his correct body positioning, another with a few of us before the ride up to Burkesville:
Eddie is doing it right. The guy on the 14, not so much.

Just glad he didnt take YOU or anyone else out with high top tennis shoes on (they look untied also). I wont offer any of my couch coach riding postion comments since its been posted.

I bet he is sore today. Glad no serious injuries accoured during this lesson.

Why are the hay bales there? Is this corner famous for crashes?

It was a closed road course. Bales are usually not there, but installed for the day just for the bikes. Good they did because as I recall that was a pretty steep 40' drop down the mountain.

I also believe that's a decreasing radius left hand turn, correct Trey? His tail is in the center of his bike. You ought to send him the "win a free STT Trackday" link cause it would really help him!

I also believe that's a decreasing radius left hand turn, correct Trey? His tail is in the center of his bike. You ought to send him the "win a free STT Trackday" link cause it would really help him!

Yes it was Keith. I was following behind him for a couple minutes and got to see first hand the body position. Finally got out in front and soon after the 14 was on the ground.

Back