Why Harley sells more bikes than anyone else.

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
The moment the 2013 line-up is ready, Harley makes sure to send all their customers an email, with lots and lots of marketing.

Linky: 2013 Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles | Harley-Davidson USA

I've always said, making something really good is easy, selling it is difficult. Harley is a good example, they know how to sell, no matter what they make, the others simply don't.

The only thing Suzuki has to offer for 2013 is motocross and kids bikes, as well as 0% interest for 4 years, because they have not figured out how to sell their inventory.

I think the tables would be turned if Suzuki had the marketing dept and budget that HD does. Heck, even look at he difference in marketing since the 2012 ZX14R.. You NEVER saw a ZX14 ad on TV...:banghead:

I think there is a whole lot Suzuki can do, especially with the Busa platform to keep sales alive and customers exited. They are just asleep over here, import the stuff from Japan, do as little as possible and hope the bikes will sell.

I think there is a whole lot Suzuki can do, especially with the Busa platform to keep sales alive and customers exited. They are just asleep over here, import the stuff from Japan, do as little as possible and hope the bikes will sell.

Not to be that way, but up until about 2010, that's all they ever HAD to do. Hard to teach an old rich dog new tricks... There's a reason why Harley needs the marketing, and we all know why that is, just some don't like to admit it.

I've always said, making something really good is easy, selling it is difficult. Harley is a good example, they know how to sell, no matter what they make, the others simply don't.

So very true. Why do you think people start smoking? Everyone knows it's going to kill them, but the perception that it's cool is still out there.

and harley just dont market to sell the bikes, they promote this whole "lifestyle" thing, and sell clothes and accy's galore, I would venture to bet they make way more money on clothes and stuff than the actual bikes, I mean how many people that dont even own bikes proudly wear harley shirts/hats/etc...... and how many non riders do you see wear any apparel from any of the japanese bike mfgr's?

They market, market, market. they dont offer anything that compares......I should know, I just spent the week putting 3100 miles on my busa at the stampede, and came home and got on my harley.......just keep twisting the grip and not much there.

As has been mentioned, Harley tends to focus on the customer and the lifestyle.

I can go to my local Harley shrine and they have a showroom full of bikes. I can get a cup of coffee, a donut, a hot dog, watch some TV, and maybe even get a massage with a happy ending. If I want a t-shirt, they have a million choices. I can get a coffee mug with a picture of my favorite model. There is some serious overhead in this place, but it's totally customer focused.

Contrast that with my local Suzuki dealer, and every other Japanese bike dealer I've ever been to. Well, you know what I mean. They don't seem as interested in me as a customer. If I want a Hayabusa t-shirt (which I REALLY DO!) I have to resort to eBay or some other outlet. Same for accessories. They don't stock anything. I can't even get a t-shirt that says SUZUKI, let alone a Hayabusa shirt and some cool upgrade piece.

I'm not pushing HD here, just an observation.

Turn on the TV......HD commercial, open a mens magazine.....HD ad. Boxing, MMA, and other sports are sponsored by and have signs plastered all over that say HD. They even have a hit TV show "Sons of Anarchy" that glorify the Harley/Biker lifestyle. And you wonder why guys are willing to pay more $$$ for less bike???

.....One thing that stands out as different is that Harley only sells one, or, at most two related brands. At our "powersprorts" store there are many brands so if one hangs out and wears their branded shirt, etc, others might be wearing other brands of clothes and riding other brands at the store. I wonder if it isn't economically possible for there to be a SUZUKI dealer that only carries those. ??? IOW, not just "I ride Japanese" but "I ride Suzuki".

Not to be that way, but up until about 2010, that's all they ever HAD to do. Hard to teach an old rich dog new tricks... There's a reason why Harley needs the marketing, and we all know why that is, just some don't like to admit it.

Not to criticize the good O'l USA but it is not like that everywhere. I have lived many years overseas and if there was a bash, they would be there, they would participate in track sessions with promotions and barbecues and their service was top class. There would be new release promotions with test rides and a whole lot of marketing thrown in. I almost totaled a new bike at 250 miles, insurance paid and it was repaired. I wasn't happy with the repairs, no questions asked they replaced the bike with a new one.

Look at how much money Harley puts into their NHRA drag racing effort. It's like a total Harley show. A lot of people watch those shows on ESPN, not to mention the AHDRA. Very smart marketing.

ummmm brainwashed people???? they handle like chit. they brake like chit. their slow. their loud and obnoxious. they cost twice or three times that of a sport bike and their slow or did I already say that....:whistle:

but hey two each his own and they do hold their value much better then a sport bike.

Marketing or lying to people??Wonder if they told customers that HD has stuff made in china now and i heard the new sporty is all china built if that would help sell bikes.:whistle:Its all a status thing really.If I go that route, it will be a victory because they are all US built, cost less and more refined, always improving instead of dresing up the same turd for the last 50 years.

Harley also helps sell there stuff by having a little variety and choice. Most of the others bikes it's either this color or that color. Harley has what maybe 7 different color options on some of their bikes, 5 or 6 different wheels to choose from. That kinda increases your chance of making a sale just look at their website and then compare it to just about any other motorcycle web site out there.

Don't get me wrong I would never buy one the vibration in the handle bars is unbearable for me,but alot of people don't mind it and some really enjoy it. But when you put the bikes side by side with those models that are in the same class like the Victory (which is the one I wish I had:laugh:) it is easy to see why most people pick the Harley It really is a great looking bike. And we can we relate to looks making a sale right :whistle: Everyone in here didn't go running to Kawasaki cause it's numbers and performance are up, well we had a few jump ship:laugh:. But for the most part everyone is sticking with the nicer looking ride :laugh:

The moment the 2013 line-up is ready, Harley makes sure to send all their customers an email, with lots and lots of marketing.

Linky: 2013 Harley-Davidson® Motorcycles | Harley-Davidson USA

The only thing Suzuki has to offer for 2013 is motocross and kids bikes, as well as 0% interest for 4 years, because they have not figured out how to sell their inventory.

More than just about sending out emails, you are trying to get someone who already has one to let his go and get the one you got in your showroom. It's got to look really good to get him to come in make a deal. That is where I think Harley leaves it's competitors in the dust, while Victory offers you 4 different solid colors or the nicer looking Ness version for an extra 8000 dollars (I sure hope it's more than just paint) Harley offers beside the solid colors 2 tone variations with pinstriping and a few different wheels choices. The better looking will sell better

I will say, some of those 883s can look pretty damn cool. I'd say I wish they put less money into marketing and more into engineering, but it works for them so, whatever.

ummmm brainwashed people???? they handle like chit. they brake like chit. their slow. their loud and obnoxious. they cost twice or three times that of a sport bike and their slow or did I already say that....:whistle:

but hey two each his own and they do hold their value much better then a sport bike.

Even if you make toilet paper, results like this in these times are very impressive: H-D News | Harley-Davidson USA | Harley-Davidson USA

Back