Since i cant use Dupont chain lube anymore what is the next best?

superchargedv8

Registered
Dunno is some of you heard a while back when the dupont blue label teflon spray was reformulated it was no longer suitable to use as a motorcycle chain lube. The blue label teflon can you can use says wax on it and the new reformulated spray that should no longer be used says "multi use". I ran out of the old style teflon wax and need a good chain lube hopefully as good as the dupont stuff...What can you guys recommend?

ill try and find that yellow one in the new area i moved to .....that blue can is the one i had but its no longer made that way so i had to change....Thanks for the info!

According to Dupont's website. It still contains wax and is still useable on motorcycle and ATV chains.

Where did your information come from?

We are talking about the blue labeled Teflon multi-use correct?

I bought the blue label at Lowes recently. I don't know about reformulation, but I do know that once Dupont found out it was widely used on motorcycle chains, they created a thicker brew, put it in a yellow can, and doubled the price. You know... just like Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, and everybody else did. Clever marketing and labeling is where the real money is!

I'm sure they can thank that guy on webbikeworld for making it so famous in the motorcycle community.

It has been at the last three Wally-worlds I've been at. Look for the motorcycle helmets and it's right by them.

If the can says "Wax" it's the old formula, the new one has something different. Hoard it if you find it on a shelf:whistle:

Been using the yellow stuff for 18000 miles. Still on the original chain and sprockets and they look like new. I have also converted all of my friends to the yellow stuff and they all love it.

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

its at the top of the page....if you can find the old can that says "wax" get it....if it doesnt say wax dont get it....get the chainsaver yellow dupont can.

BTW i went by my local walmart and they DID have the yellow chainsaver can so i got me some of that...Thanks Kromdom!! i had kinda forgotten bout that specific one.

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

its at the top of the page....if you can find the old can that says "wax" get it....if it doesnt say wax dont get it....get the chainsaver yellow dupont can.

BTW i went by my local walmart and they DID have the yellow chainsaver can so i got me some of that...Thanks Kromdom!! i had kinda forgotten bout that specific one.

Thanks for that link. I'm kinda bummed. They (webbikeworld) have dropped the Dupont products (all of them, including the yellow can) from their list of favorite chain lubes.

From the bottom of the updated review...

"Conclusion

Too bad they changed the Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant formula. It is now no longer in contention as a motorcycle chain lube.

And we just can't seem to warm up to the Chain Saver product; it's not bad and it works well. It's just that we think there are better chain lubes that are easier to apply, with less overspray and which "disappear" on to the chain, leaving a relatively dry surface that minimizes attraction to dirt and grime.

We think DuPont needs to change the design of the applicator tip on the Chain Saver liquid 120 ml (4 oz.) bottle to make it more useful and efficient for motorcycle chain lubrication. If they did, it would be the preferred lube to carry on the bike.

So our current favorites are now the Liquid Performance Chain Lube (review), the Original Bike Spirits (review), which was the winner of our 2010 Chain Lube Comparison or the Klotz KLR (review), winner of our 2008 Chain Lube Comparison.
"

i tried the "bottle" dupont yellow chain lube.....hated it...100 miles and it sounded dry and had to relube again..tried it for like 3 months....junked it

ive got the new blue can and the website says it still has it and lowes hast it in stock for 3.99 a can and had it on sale for 1.99

Tim99ws6 said:
It has been at the last three Wally-worlds I've been at. Look for the motorcycle helmets and it's right by them.

Forget this chain lube nonsense, your wally world sells lids???

Huh? You have to lube your chain? ???

Just joking, but seriously I don't think the wax does anything, as long as your o-rings don't dry out and keeps the inner bushing lube where it was put in the factory, ride it like you stole it.

Linky: DuPont? Teflon® Chain-Saver Lubricant

The new Blue can is formulated differently than the old blue can' the "dry" part is gone.

I searched HIGH AND LOW for some of the old blue cans; called 15 different hardware stores and searched the internet for it without luck. I still have about a can and a half left; after that I'll have to resort to the yellow can. Dupont really screwed the pooch on this one. I think we all ought to email them and tell them how badly they have missed the boat and need to bring back the old forumla.

The new Blue can is formulated differently than the old blue can' the "dry" part is gone.

I searched HIGH AND LOW for some of the old blue cans; called 15 different hardware stores and searched the internet for it without luck. I still have about a can and a half left; after that I'll have to resort to the yellow can. Dupont really screwed the pooch on this one. I think we all ought to email them and tell them how badly they have missed the boat and need to bring back the old forumla.

I actually think the yellow and blue cans were exactly the same product, just a different label. Then they realized there is a big market for the chain lube, so they changed the blue can.

Linky: DuPont? Teflon® Multi-Use Lubricant

Back