Some minor upgrades to the HeavyBus

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I started the day at my usual dealer (Redline Motorsports) to get the bike inspected. They “goter done†unlike the jerks who rejected it last week. I won’t go into that again but suffice it to say it was the same bike, unchanged and it passed. I already knew to stay away from Cycle World but I guess you need to be reminded every now and then!

While I was there I decided to let them setup the suspension. Ohlins sets up the shocks and forks when they send them out to you but there are a lot of variables so there always needs to be some fiddling. I have been playing with this but haven’t had time to really work the settings. Anyway it only took them about 35 minutes. There was some “ok, get onâ€; “ok get off nowâ€; “ok back onâ€. They were really meticulous about the sag. Then an inspection and off I went!
So I had the new chain and front sprocket, new mirrors, new TPMS, and the suspension setup.

I’ll start with the surprise, mirrors. I have spent about $600 in mirrors over the last couple years. Either they look good and don’t work or they work and look like elephant ears! Tim (Pashnit) had some cheapo EMGO on his site and I was buying the TPMS and figured what the heck. I got the box Friday and they sent the wrong mirrors. They sent GSXR600-1000 mirrors. I sort of liked them though so I put them on. What do you know, perfect! They are a bit smaller then stock and not so boxy. They give a great view of what’s behind and they are sturdy. Dang things only cost $40 too (probably should order another pair, after all I am Fallenarch)?

The TPMS is very cool too. It’s not just about being lazy, it’s about safety. I am told these things can predict a tire problem and save your butt. It’s very interesting to watch the tire temps go up and down based on your riding. I’m still not sure whether it’s a toy or a real necessary piece of equipment, but it does seem to work and keep tabs on what your tires are up to.

I have been having a few issues with the bike for some time now (this year). First is when I shift from 4th to 5th or 5 to 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and I’m not really pushing the rpm, I would get sort of a kick back that felt like the chain jumped a tooth on the sprocket. The other problem was a really unhealthy sound when lugging the bike at slow speeds. I finally decided to go with a new chain and front sprocket (rear is a super sprocket with less than 1500 miles on it). Now when I added my full Yoshi, there was a little flat spot in the power around 4000 rpm. SO I went a little more aggressive on the front (stock 18T, I went to 17T) to go with the 45T rear (up 2 teeth from stock). Man what an improvement. The gearing now works perfectly with the exhaust and the result is an amazing, smooth motorcycle. I will never underestimate the value of good gearing. It’s easy with the Busa to just let the engine’s flexibility work, but when the gearing is right it’s a much more fun, aggressive, yet smooth bike to ride. BTW: I bought a driven front sprocket and a Sunstar 530 chain. Not sure if this is good but it was the best I could get locally (didn’t want to wait).

Finally the suspension setup. The difference was amazing, almost as big as the stock versus the Ohlins. There is so much more traction that it sometimes feels like the bike takes more body English to turn. It’s hard to explain the feel. I ran over a branch in the road that I couldn’t avoid. I could feel the wheel lift up over the branch and I knew the exact moment it was back on the ground and ready for power. I also noticed I was over-steering because the bike was so hooked up. I would slide a cheek off the seat and then the bike was turned and I would have to correct because I was way early making the turn. Pretty amazing actually.

Anyway, It’s awesome putting the work into the bike and then going out and having it work perfectly!

With the new sprocket combo, is the bike "buzzy" feeling? Counldnt imagine running that combo for long distance riding.

It would be a bit aggressive for long distance. Also don't know about gas mileage. But it sure is fun on a twisty road!

Do you have the TPMS with the screw on caps? If so, make sure you change your valve stems with every tire change....congrats on the new set up!

Back