Would you be comfortable riding like this?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Snapped this pic riding to Sam's club in Fayetteville NC, this morning.

Curious what the folks here think, would you ride like this?

photo (6).JPG

photo (6).JPG

can't tell if he is holding the back pac or ???
This may work on a cruiser but not a sport bike.:moon:

I can't really say its wrong or right. They both got helmets on so that's good to see. All we have is a snapshot to go on. How fast were they going, was he pulling wheelies or weaving in and out of traffic with the kid on the back? That's probably his dad or older brother taking him out on a cruise. A lot could go wrong but same could be said for in a car, crossing the street, or riding a dirtbike in the woods.

Sure would.

If you're talking about lack of gear, I personally am not of the mandatory gear crowd. Life is a risk... enjoy it.

If you're talking about the backpack as a means of holding on to the parent... honestly unless you can get your arms all the way around the rider, it can be hard for a passenger to maintain a constant firm hold (their arms get tired and they relax), so the backpack thing should work just as well if not better.

If you're talking about the child... only if it were my own child. Only the parents should be able to decide what is safe for that child, and some might conclude that being on the back of a bike at all is not safe enough... others might conclude differently. That's the job of a parent and nobody should judge less we start allowing monthly in-home inspections for anything hazardous by some govt' agency.

Humble opinions expressed
Sean

The problem with a kid having gear as was previously stated is finding some that will actually fit. Because a XL jacket on a XS boy I really don't see functioning as it was designed 2 do and 2nd the photo was taken in North Carolina.... I've lived down there 4 a couple years and any1 else that has would agree that I'm surprised they had pants on in the middle of summer. The norm is board shorts tank top and sandals...:whistle:

Not for me nor my passenger. We choose to wear proper gear to minimize the risk and not tempt fate. Riding is dangerous enough as it is.

NO, NO WAY!
no gloves, no jacket, the kid is wearing slippers for kripes sake!

my son cooks in his leathers and boots, just like his daddy. :rulez:

gear wise I am absolutely a jacket, gloves, boots fan and wouldnt ride my son with any less.

but also with the pic we dont know how much experience they have riding like that. the kid APPEARS to be paying attention not just with his head in the drivers back and terrified, and experience makes a big diff for passenger riding. but one oil or gravel patch on an exit ramp and they both are at least rashed up and thats easily preventable...

lol does the kid have hands? i cant see...must be tucked in somethin

Not a chance in Hell. I ride full gear and my son as well. I have a powermadd strap thing that straps around me with 4 handles on it for the passenger to hold on to. My thoughts are if you can't find gear to fit the child then the child will have to wait till they get bigger. I have been able to get gear for my son since he was 5.

I have done in the past, and I will do in the future......my life, my risk....& I accept any and all consequences that follow any of my decisions!!

But I do prefer any pillion passengers I take along to cover up as much as possible, and if they choose not to....then they too should accept the risk as well!!

I can't believe some folks are using the "it's the parent's responsibility" argument for this. Some parents demonstrate their inability to care for their childrens' safety and that's why innocent kids are hurt. With freedom comes responsibility in the public setting and this is a perfect example of, "I'll just be extra careful because he's on the back". That is wrong thinking IMO. Anybody who's crashed with that kind of footwear and clothing knows how bad it can be...there's more to safety gear than just a helmet. Raydog

Thanks for all the replies, it looked like a son and father, it was on a 55mph road in traffic and the little boy was holding on to the straps of his dad's backpack. He was doing a real decent slow ride, but the boy wore sneakers, no socks, no protection other than his helmet.

My wife took the picture while I was driving the car. My personal opinion is that when I am responsible for someone else's life, I take all possible precautions as I would never be able to forgive myself should something go wrong. A bad experience with a child that age can do a lot of damage both physically and psychologically. So, in short I don't judge the rider, but personally i would never do that.

I can't believe some folks are using the "it's the parent's responsibility" argument for this. Some parents demonstrate their inability to care for their childrens' safety and that's why innocent kids are hurt. With freedom comes responsibility in the public setting and this is a perfect example of, "I'll just be extra careful because he's on the back". That is wrong thinking IMO. Anybody who's crashed with that kind of footwear and clothing knows how bad it can be...there's more to safety gear than just a helmet. Raydog

That would be me... and that's cool.

A debate on social responsibility vs parental responsibility is far beyond the scope of this board and would likely be heated.

When I was a child, my mother allowed me to do things that many would say were unsafe... in fact, they were. Riding around helmet-less on the back of her biker (and I mean H/A biker) boyfriend's chopper would certainly be one of them. My dad had one too.... rode on that without a helmet too. Those were "the good ol' days" as it were.
Honestly, I could have died... but didn't. Those experiences are forever a part of my ongoing life that could end at any time no matter how much I tried to take precautions to avoid it.
I would not trade those experiences for 10,000 safe days.

In my years, I have been hurt and scarred physically many times. Emotionally and spiritually even more. I would not trade those either. They make me who I am.

When I was 17 I used to ride sport bikes in Los Angeles. No shirt, no helmet...an occasional wheelie and plenty of speeding on those hot SoCal summer days. I dated strippers, played in a metal band, slept on doorsteps at times... it was absolutely risky and absolutely Glorious.

All these things and 1000's more have shaped my views on freedom, and what it is. Freedom to experience in this short life is priceless, even if the price could be risking it all.

That's me. Others are different. I respect everyone's idea of what a great life is... even if that's being safer and living longer.

Those risks and experiences started for me long before I was old enough to legally decide for myself. My parents decided, and I personally cherish that I was allowed to experience early on.
That has come at a cost at times, but again... I am happy with the choices that were made on my behalf.

For that you see, I still believe it is the parent who is responsible, because they are responsible for more than a child's safety. They are responsible for more than just keeping the child alive, but also showing them what it's like to live.

I don't begrudge others for the choices they make. I don't even begrudge them when it affects me as long as that wasn't their intent and isn't absolutely reckless. We all share this playground after all so let's make some use of it while we're here.

Humble Opinions Expressed
Sean

Back