Put your feet down!

Audiomaker

Registered
Ok, so I just got a ticket...

Riding up to a stop sign in my small town. I can see the intersection for a full block... no vehicles, humans or animals anywhere near it.

I slow down to the lowest speed I can balance at (almost stopped), and proceed to make a right turn.

Yep, I get stopped for not making a complete stop at a stop sign. It's true... I was going <1/2mi per hour and didn't put my feet down.

I know it's the law, but geez.

Putting your feet down at every stop you roll up to (even those with no people or other vehicles) is a real pain... I dunno.

Thoughts?
Sean

That seems pretty ridiculous to me...... sounds like he was just out to get a motorcycle rider

Just look at it this way....you just helped the local economy with a "tax". I know it’s petty but the city you live in needs to make that money too. Follow the rules and don’t get taxed. Sorry you got caught bro! We all do it.

If you could see that intersection for and entire block how come you didnt see the cop? :laugh:

Sorry about the ticket, but you should stop at a stop sign. By no means am I saying that I always do, but I should. If you think the stop sign is unreasonable and should be changed to a yield or some other type of sign, then go voice your opinion at the next city council meeting. Other than that, just pay up and move on.

I've successfully stopped but never put a foot down...it's the actual stop they're looking for...

Sorry about your ticket; I got one in my Jeep years ago...$83 down the drain and so not worth it. I stop all of the time now, no matter what, but sometimes, on the Busa, that stop is just me floating there with my feet on the pegs :whistle:

VaBusa said:
I've successfully stopped but never put a foot down...it's the actual stop they're looking for...

Sorry about your ticket; I got one in my Jeep years ago...$83 down the drain and so not worth it. I stop all of the time now, no matter what, but sometimes, on the Busa, that stop is just me floating there with my feet on the pegs :whistle:

You got training wheels on your busa? lol

I never come to a complete stop unless traffic is coming, guess I should.

I come to a complete stop and balance as long as I can at times without putting my feet down...I have always wondered though about the law because I believe it states a foot must be placed on the ground to show a complete stop.

At least I have heard that somewhere, don't know if it's actually true or not.

Not 100% accurate. I was given some lip service once over a full stop without putting my feet down. If the pavement is smooth and I stop really smooth I can actually sit there for several seconds on a good day. The cop was behind me, I knew he was, I stopped, counted one-two once I stopped and rolled away. He pulled me a short way up the road and gave me the foot down constitutes a stop bit. I asked him if that was actual law or just confirmation of a stop because I can be rolling, tap my foot and keep going, he claimed it's part of a legal stop. He decided not to write me that day, however I'd have gone to court with video proving what I did.

So be mindful, they can use it to pull you.

The law is the law. I hear so much crap in court I don't write the ticket unless someone blows through and if I see it coming I hit record hoping to get it on tape because they always come to a complete stop and waited five seconds in court.

I really don't bother people that make a good attempt. When I first started running traffic I became aware of some of my bad habits, like not using signals when no one was around and not coming to a complete, absolute stop at stop signs.

Not 100% accurate. I was given some lip service once over a full stop without putting my feet down. If the pavement is smooth and I stop really smooth I can actually sit there for several seconds on a good day. The cop was behind me, I knew he was, I stopped, counted one-two once I stopped and rolled away. He pulled me a short way up the road and gave me the foot down constitutes a stop bit. I asked him if that was actual law or just confirmation of a stop because I can be rolling, tap my foot and keep going, he claimed it's part of a legal stop. He decided not to write me that day, however I'd have gone to court with video proving what I did.

So be mindful, they can use it to pull you.

I will note that; hadn't ever known it to be a law :thumbsup:

$246

Each time I put my foot down at a stop is a chance for me to slip or put my foot in a pot hole.

I mean it's obviously a stop. There's no intent to roll the stop sign. Look all directions...the whole thing.

It's things like this that shake my support for the local police. They will get their $246 but I am the type of guy who would normally pull over and help if an officer were in trouble at a traffic stop.

"It's the law". Yeah, OK. I'll remember that.

Sean

The should put that question on the motorcycle test. I really don't remember reading over that. lol

Would a cop give someone a ticket for going 55½ mph in a 55 zone? I think not.
I agree that he must have been low on his quota. Otherwise a warning would have been plenty good enough.

$246 !!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: That is highway robbery.

I guess you could claim that there was oil on the ground and that you didn't want to take the risk of falling.
That might be a little late now, since it seems you are ready to pay the ticket.

Funny thing is that if you ever saw a cop come to a almost stop and his wheels didn't stop 100% he would get away with it every time.
It's not like we could pull him over and give him a ticket - could we?

And life goes on :whistle:

go to traffic court. tell them you stopped but did not put your foot down as you have good balance. Are car drivers suppose to put their foot out the door to prove they stopped?

More than likely the officer wont show...even if he does and you loose, you are no worse off.:beerchug:

ps.....the judge may be a rider also and be lenient:thumbsup:

go to traffic court. tell them you stopped but did not put your foot down as you have good balance. Are car drivers suppose to put their foot out the door to prove they stopped?

More than likely the officer wont show...even if he does and you loose, you are no worse off.:beerchug:

ps.....the judge may be a rider also and be lenient:thumbsup:

Not true. You contest it in court and loose, you are then responsible for court fees as deemed by the judge.

I liked the "rural cop" story, guy says "what's the difference if I stop or slow down", cop says "lets say I beat you with my club, do you want me to stop or slow down?" :laugh: I always stop long enough to drop a foot.

Back