Two new things I learned about the Busa last night

Johnny Bravo

Registered
I've had my 08 almost 2 months now and my wife had never ridden on it yet. So we decided to take a nice 50 mile highway cruise while grandma and grandpa watched the little boy. I learned two new things about the bike.

1. I downloaded a speedometer app on my iphone and using the GPS, compared the speed on the phone with the speedometer on the bike. The bike speedo is about 9-10% optimistic. When the bike read 85 mph, the GPS read about 77 mph. When the bike read 90 mph, the GPS read about 81 mph. I guess that's ok for keeping you from getting speeding tickets but I would assume it's artificially inflating the mileage on the bike a bit, as well. Now thinking about a speedo healer. Not an absolute necessity. I guess it's better to be going slower than you thought. But now that I know it's off, it's probably going to bug me.

2. The Busa does not know that there is a passenger on the back, nor does it care. I am 230 lbs, my wife is 118 lbs. When we would ride on my 954rr, having a passenger was VERY noticeable. It required a fair amount more throttle and clutch slip pulling away from a stop, more throttle to get up to speed, and more stopping distance for the brakes. Riding with a passenger on the Busa is like towing a sea doo with a semi. It performed the exact same with her on the back as without her on the back. Didn't require any more throttle to pull away from a stop and didn't require any additional brake pull or braking distance to stop. And on the highway, it was like she wasn't even there. I am really pleased with what a comfortable, easy-to-manage 2-up sport bike this is. She had a blast. She's tiny, but even she commented how much more comfy the passenger seat and seating position is on the Hayabusa is compared to the postage stamp on the 954rr.

Every day I ride this bike, I fall even more and more in love with it. Definitely one of my best purchases in a long time.

Picture of mini-me and me outside of g'mas house before the wife and I left.

001.jpg

The Busa does make some serious torque. It doesnt matter if its at 2800 RPMs going up a hill like it doesnt even notice it.. She also handles very good 2 up!!

:thumbsup:

Dude, your wife is a 118 Lbs. That's about what the stock exhaust system on the Busa weighs :laugh:

And I don't even look at the speedo anymore, I just use the GPS. Mine is off by 8 MPH when the speedo reads 100.

I guess the only concern, would be the odometer. With the speedometer being off by that much. Over the years, the bike would accumulate a lot of "unactual" miles. Reading more miles, than what the bike actually traveled. Just a thought.

I noticed it handles different in the turns at low speeds with my lady on the back. Felt like the steering got super heavy. I raised it 1" in the rear and now it doesn't do that. I'm also very pleased with how it rides 2up.

when I switched to a 190/55 rear tire vs the factory 190/50 my speedo is almost dead nuts accurate, according to those speed signs on the side of the road, and pacing it with another vehicle.

.......plus it turns in a little easier with the 190/55

We have ridden two up probably 95% of the time since we purchased our 1st busa 5 years ago. They are great machines no doubt. :cheerleader:

The odometer is off but not as much as the speedo. My speedo was reading 7% high while the odometer was off about 3%. With the SpeedoHealer setup so the speedo is accurate the odometer reads about 4% under.

I guess the only concern, would be the odometer. With the speedometer being off by that much. Over the years, the bike would accumulate a lot of "unactual" miles. Reading more miles, than what the bike actually traveled. Just a thought.

The speed and mileage are read from the same sensor so how could they be off by different percentages? Get a speedo healer so you don’t have to try to do the math in your head every time you check your speed and so you post the correct mileage.

To the OP, Count the teeth on the back sprocket. I'm willing to bet that the previous owner changed it out with a more aggressive size

To the OP, Count the teeth on the back sprocket. I'm willing to bet that the previous owner changed it out with a more aggressive size

I'll count them tomorrow, but I doubt it. The whole bike was bone stock, all the way down to the factory exhaust and under tail. It does have a 200 55 17 Shinko on the back instead of the 190, but that's the only thing I could find even slightly "modified". I believe the wider tire might cause an additional 1.6% difference if I did the calculations right, causing my bike to read even higher than a stock bike on stock tire.

Back