Speeding ticket

Travis England

Registered
Last Friday around 130 Am me and my friend just left hooters on our bikes. made it a couple miles down the road came to a stop light and when it turned green we turned left and I opened her up in first gear. hit the rev limiter and quickly shut her down (speed limit 30) about a mile and a half down the road the speed limit changes to 45 I was doing around 50 and about another mile or so I see red and blue lights. the officer said I clocked u guys said I was doing 61 and my friend on his harley 70 he took all our info came back made us take a breath test wrote my friend a ticket and told him to take off then made me do all the stupid human tricks and wrote me a ticket for 71 in a 45....I said I thought I was doing 61 then he said well you two were speeding but I couldn't tell how fast you were going all speeding tickets cost the same so it doesn't make a diffrence any way....I'm pretty sure that ticket was a bunch of bs because when i got around the corner to the cop he could have only got me for about 5 over he just heard me take off ....any way if he couldn't tell who was doing what speed can he rightfully write me a ticket?

On your ticket all you have to do is plead not guilty. Then when your court date is set you and the guy with the harley show up. Its gonna be up to the cop to show up. Depending on which state you live in if he doesnt show up its a no contest and you get off :moon: If he does show up he is going to have to have some type of documentation to prove you were going exactly 71mph such as a slip from a radar gun or police dash cam or something. He just cant show up and be like well your honor I think he was doing such and such speed but technically i cant prove whether he was or not. Whatever you do don't plead guilty to that because 71 in a 45 will definitely mess up your driving record. Worst case scenario is he shows up and offers you a deal like plead to 5mph over the limit or failure to yield to a stop sign or something that wont mess with your record or insurance:thumbsup:

... and just to add to #1busa... the officer is betting on you not showing up and just paying the waiver...

You may get out of the ticket, but how smart was it to:

1. Riding at 1:30 AM when every drunk driver in town is out to get YOU...
2. Hitting the rev limitier in first gear in a 30 MPH zone (btw is a lot more than 30), in town....

Please be careful. There's no one ride worth not getting to ever ride again....

Out here on the Left Coast, the Lawman is allowed to write on the ticket, "Visual estimate of speed."

The Judge doesn't take his professionalism lightly. "Guilty" is usually the verdict. :moon:

You can take it court but the penalty is so bad when you fight and loose most don't try it. They will add court cost if you loose on top of the fine and the judges seem to pull cost out of thin air some times. :whistle:

Law enforcement don't always rightfully write tickets, or even interpret the law right :laugh:

All of this may be true, I can only speak from the past experiences of myself and my friends. 1 time i got a ticket from a cop for allegedly running a red light when it was still yellow. W/O getting into a debate on proper driving procedures it was at a 4way light and he was facing the north light and i was going thru the east light so there was no way for him to see exactly when my light turned red. I plead not guilty and set a court date of my choosing. I picked a morning time hoping he wouldnt show, I was right but he filed an extension at the last minute requesting a later date in the afternoon. By law i am allowed an extension as well so I waited then filed for a later date in the morning again :laugh: I show up with witnesses and he comes at the last minute and pulls me to the side. He said look if you agree to pay the fine, I'll agree to you pleading to a lesser charge which was like failure to come to a complete stop at a traffic signal or something. I gladly paid the fine but kept the points off my license which is all that matters and kept my insurance rates where they were. :thumbsup: It could turn out good or it could turn out bad but you will never know untill you know.................

Get a ticket atty for $75 bucks and be done with it.

Damn, traffic attorneys sure are cheap in the Sunshine State. But then, they don't win very often.

Up here where the air is fresh and clean (More oxygen to the brain) the best traffic attorneys are $350. But then, they win 99.6% of their cases!

:laugh:

and wrote me a ticket for 71 in a 45....I said I thought I was doing 61 then he said well you two were speeding but I couldn't tell how fast you were going all speeding tickets cost the same so it doesn't make a diffrence any way...

Buuuulllllllllll ****ing ****.

Check your state law, because in my state if you're doing 25+ mph over the speed limit they will pull your license for a min. of 6 months and require SR22 for 2 years after that. Welcome to meeting a cop that looks at you and doesn't see a human being, I've been down that road. DO NOT, for the love of **** DO NOT FIGHT THIS ON YOUR OWN if this is the case. Go out, talk to lawyers and hire a good one! Typically they can resolve it out of course and will represent you in court if that's what it takes. The courts will not back you in something like this because they simply do not care and do not require proof beyond the officers word.

Rev limiter in 1st… ya 71 mph sounds about right. I think you got off easy with just a speeding ticket. Seems to me he could have cited you for wreckless driving and or racing as well.

I say man up. Go to court admit you did wrong and ask for mercy.

You may get out of the ticket, but how smart was it to:

1. Riding at 1:30 AM when every drunk driver in town is out to get YOU...
2. Hitting the rev limitier in first gear in a 30 MPH zone (btw is a lot more than 30), in town....

Please be careful. There's no one ride worth not getting to ever ride again....

You forgot leaving the Hooter's parking lot. Cause you know the cops don't hang around those at closing time :whistle:

:stoopid:

Sorry bro, you deserve that one.

Tufbusa said:
Damn, traffic attorneys sure are cheap in the Sunshine State. But then, they don't win very often.

Up here where the air is fresh and clean (More oxygen to the brain) the best traffic attorneys are $350. But then, they win 99.6% of their cases!

:laugh:

Tuf the only time I needed one was while living in Miami and he did win but, the court fees were as much as the ticket.

Hell, if you were actually going 71 then fight it if you want. If you have the same 25mph law try to get it dropped to 24 over and don't do it again. Word of warning, if you have any prior tickets in the last 3 years, you may not be that lucky. I personally spoke up because I got screwed over something I didn't do.

you were speeding and got caught/got a ticket. did I miss anything?

Hmmm making you take a breath test? Did he ask you if youve been drinking? (only one correct answer for that and its a firm NO!) What was his reason or excuse for making you take the breath test? Did he ask you where you were coming from? I hate when they ask that question!! I usually will ask, Why do I fit the description of a suspect your looking for? I would have asked to see some kind of proof such as the radar gun etc.
Good luck in court.

Some tips when you get pulled over for speeding.
Many jurisdictions require that the officer allow you to see the radar. Don't press it if the officer says no because that's what a courtroom is for. But, at least ask, then ask a few more questions to show that you are watching.
You might ask, "When was the last time your radar gun was calibrated?" or "Where were you when you clocked my speed?" or "Were you moving when you clocked my speed?"
Do not ask these in an argumentative tone or sarcastic, know-it-all way. All that will do is make the pride in the officer fight you harder.

The court is your friend

Yeah I agree, wasnt very smart to go WOT through first gear in a 30MPH zone.

I tried the plead "not guilty" one time on a speeding ticket. Set the court date, I show up, cop shows up, judge says "your charged with going "X" mph in an "X" mph zone (been a long time ago, can't remember the exact numbers). Cop says "I had to go "X" mph to catch up to him". I says "yes, to catch up to me, but I wasn't going that fast". Judge says "um hmm, guilty, fine "$X", pay over there".
I've found it way more productive to just get a lawyer, get it reduced to a non moving violation to keep my insurance record clean, pay the "court costs", and go on. Things may be different back east, but I've never heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket thrown out around here.

It think Hillbilly Tom hit it on the head. If your +25 over get representation and get it reduced to a non moving violation. Ticket will be more, but will cost much less in the long run vs. higher insurance.

Hmmm making you take a breath test? Did he ask you if youve been drinking? (only one correct answer for that and its a firm NO!) What was his reason or excuse for making you take the breath test? Did he ask you where you were coming from? I hate when they ask that question!! I usually will ask, Why do I fit the description of a suspect your looking for? I would have asked to see some kind of proof such as the radar gun etc.
Good luck in court.

Some tips when you get pulled over for speeding.
Many jurisdictions require that the officer allow you to see the radar. Don't press it if the officer says no because that's what a courtroom is for. But, at least ask, then ask a few more questions to show that you are watching.
You might ask, "When was the last time your radar gun was calibrated?" or "Where were you when you clocked my speed?" or "Were you moving when you clocked my speed?"
Do not ask these in an argumentative tone or sarcastic, know-it-all way. All that will do is make the pride in the officer fight you harder.

The court is your friend

Yeah I agree, wasnt very smart to go WOT through first gear in a 30MPH zone.
(PBT's) prliminary breath tests are perfectly legal in many states. and implied consent is also standard in most states so if you refuse that or the FST's u will lose ur license plain and simple. time of day, speed, location (Hooters) are all reason to think someone may be under the influence and FST's are standard everywhere.

no jurisdictions require the cop to show the speeder his radar. the cop doesnt need a radar gun to cite you for speeding and even if he did have a radar gun he absolutely does NOT have to show you the radar gun or a radar read out....??? I have no idea where you get that from but that is an old wives tale and completely false.

and he does not have to show you any sort of calibration when in the field either. that is absurd and never done and I have never heard anyone ever asking that in all my years in LE. in court maybe but certainly not on scene. the cop doesnt have to answer any questions you have period.

im not sure where people get the impression that ppl should question a professional's integrity when doing his job by implying that he or she in incompetent.

ask any of those questions in the field and ur possible verbal or written warning just went out the window. when u get caught speeding you should be polite and respectful and keep your mouth shut. common sense. anything else is a sure recepe for a written ticket or possible arrest for reckless operation.

Back