2007 Busa 63,000 miles Engine goes POOF!

KvHotDog4

Registered
Well I was afraid it was coming, I had been noticing for awhile now when I would rev up the motor past 5k when letting off I would see a light puff of black smoke followed by a light puff of blue smoke.

I was out this past Sunday playing a little with a couple CBR1000's, every time we would take off we were close, but I will always let up when approaching traffic I just can't bring myself to weave cars over MPH. Well we came to an open stretch of interstate with no cars for a good long distance, I pinned the throttle wide open I was paying attention to my surroundings preparing to shift lanes as I was changing lanes I felt something didn't feel like anything I had felt before, but a very minor drop in power I just figured my bottle was empty. Then I thought to myself I have been in Th for a very long time I shifted and glanced in the mirror, I was being chased by a huge blue smoke cloud. What I can figure is I hit the limiter while spraying nitrous, however, I never felt the limiter kick in either way the engine now has to come out and apart. I am thinking rings, head gasket or a hole in the piston.

It will be a long repair process since I just bought a house, but I am thinking since it has to come apart anyway go bigger when building it back, and get a switch to cut the NOS off before the limiter! (even if it is just a 30 shot)

Anyways I have compiled a few pictures that are on my work computer of her life and a few of the things we have done together. I bought her new in February of 2007, the first year I put over 15,000 miles on her. I have made 1 trip to The Rolling Thunder Rally in Washington DC, at least 2 trips per year to Panama City Beach, Florida since she was new and countless trips to The Dragon. Tons of Charity rides and a lot of trips Dad and I would just take off and ride where ever. She is showing nearly 63,000 miles, she will me greatly missed. :(

Rest in Peace (for now) old friend, You shall return strong and better!!

SprintPhoto_e51f31.jpg

SprintPhoto_bgufoa.jpg

SprintPhoto_bjejea.jpg

SprintPhoto_dpphs2.jpg

$(KGrHqYOKkIE4hZTFGkQBOPL4RTHyw~~0_12.jpg

200681_18031521424_507731424_139551_7817_n.jpg

IMGP2599.jpg

PARADE.jpg

PARADE7.jpg

SprintPhoto_e1osj3[1].jpg

Damn Kev sorry to hear about the Ol girl.... How long have you been spraying? How did you add the extra fuel when you were spraying your 30 shot?

Saw your bike at the dyno day at Carma, and heard about the engine failure on tnrace. Sucks to hear, but it's a good opportunity to build it back better next time!

Wish I would have known who you were at the time, I would have introduced myself! I was there on my white 2005 Busa.

sorry to hear this! that had to have hurt when you saw the smoke but like you said, it's time to come back stronger than ever :beerchug:

Don, it was a dry shot, just fogged the air box. Have not been spraying long that was my 3rd bottle. I don't think the NOS had everything to do with it. I think most of it had to do with the milage on top of a lot of drag strip time last year and then nitrous addition this year. Probably would have lasted a lot longer but I think the limiter got her down.

Tim99 I saw your bike, I walked and stood by it for a good 10-15 mins waiting to see if someone would walk up then next thing I knew your were saddled up pulling off lol. Nice bike

Semi, the plan as of now is a 1441 bore and stroke kit, then port the heads with 411 cams. I have not researched it yet since the money isn't there, but if that combo is possible I will look into that.

Do your research on the build and best of luck. I don't know crap brother, but I think a 30 shot required a bunch of added fuel. Once you talk to a mechanic / tuner I think you'll find out the NOS did you in.

Best of luck with the build, maybe you should just build her stronger and throw a snell shell out front :laugh:

anything is possible......:laugh: Looking back now, I wish I would have just gone 1397 and picked up a turbo kit. Seen a refurbed RCC kit for $3200 on a site.

IMG_5752.jpg

No added fuel with a 30 shot of NOS? YES... this caused your POOOF! I tried asking you about this that night at the track and you swore up and down you didnt have to add any fuel with a dry shot.. Well most likely you cracked or burned a hole in the piston from a lean condition. No biggy on that.

Sorry about your bike. Now you just have an excuse to make her mean. :thumbsup:

I did a lot of research on this website and many others, I was under the impression that under 60 shot did not need fuel so I went with 30 to be "safe". I had the same fears going into the NOS situation, but apparently I put too much faith in people who acted like they knew what they were talking about. Bad part is that I had all the stuff to make it a wet shot, but believed a board member who said I didn't need it. Oh well whats done is done just too bad its the middle of the riding season :(

Kevin, I'm really sorry to hear this. Your bike is almost always SPOTLESS. Sometimes it's better to not mod them too much as you gain reliability.

even a dry shot gets added fuel.Wet is additional fuel by an extra fuel line and solenoid.Dry gets additional fuel pressure to make up for it.I think the nitrous did you in.Have seen it before.Without the added fuel, rings, pistons etc get hott.I wish they would set up the ecu to cut the ignition out instead of the fuel injectors at redline.Rather go rich and foul a plug instead of lean and burn something up

you can do a 1397 or a 1441 with turbo just dont go crazy with the boost and be sure to get a good dyno tune so you dont have to get new pistons again

yes you can do a turbo with either.....just cost more to do a 1441 engine than a 1397. The 1397 is a simple block/piston swap.

Throw a 1441 with a damn good head on it and be done! I promise you that the 1441 will snatch your arse around without the nitrous and it will be very very reliable! If you must have nitrous, put a gen 1 cylinder on it because their stronger than the gen 2s cylinder. Also, let a pro tune your bike for the spray. Dont go off of hear say. The 1507 is a hoss but it's headache, trust me!

Throw a 1441 with a damn good head on it and be done! I promise you that the 1441 will snatch your arse around without the nitrous and it will be very very reliable! If you must have nitrous, put a gen 1 cylinder on it because their stronger than the gen 2s cylinder. Also, let a pro tune your bike for the spray. Dont go off of hear say. The 1507 is a hoss but it's headache, trust me!

Where is a good tuner around the TN area? I have wanted to get my bike tuned ever since I bought it, but I can't find anyone that isn't in Texas or Canada

:down:

I bet that nitrous was fun while it lasted though! :laugh:

Can't wait to hear about your build!!

Back