The Rescued Bike: Progress thread

bigjohn141

Donating Member
Registered
Since I did get the bike and have started doing a few things to it I decided to make a new thread so I can record its progress over time. I will post a before shot but those who read the other thread know it was in less than pristine condition. I have a very good friend that owns the local motorcycle shop and they were a Suzuki dealer for years so he knows a few of the more in depth things about the Busa. Lucky for me (not so much for my check book) he had a a empty lift in the shop and my bike had the chance to hang out on for the past couple of days. I was just going to do a quick tune up, put some used tires on, and change the oil but that started the whole "Well since its apart lets do this one thing, then another, then another." After new plugs, TPS adjustment, replacing a old fuel line, new brakes all around, new tires (pilot power of course :D), oil change, plugging the pair valve, raising it back up to stock height, and a few bolts here and there she is once again road worthy and riding like she's on rails. There is still a low end stumble but I have the parts to tear down the fuel pump on the way so I can replace it with the eBay version that has gotten great reviews and I am going to do the external fuel filter mod. Thanks to a few of the great members, GoldenChild, THROTTLEJUNKIE13, and BlueHaya, I have a good start on some of the replacement parts I need to start to get her back to top form. On top of everything, the bank where I rescued the bike from called a little bit ago and informed me that they did in fact find the rear seat for the bike and that just made my day. A few of you guys on here were worried about the mechanical condition of the bike due to its poor state, as was I, but I am happy to report that after the new tires she had a few good hard runs on her and everything feels as it should. I have yet to decide on the exact direction I am going with this bike but I have a few ideas floating around and cant wait to see what the final result will be on down the line.

Before: Still at the bank

View attachment 1558787

Current: Super awesome cell phone shot in my driveway.

View attachment 1558788

All in all I am happy with the bike and I am having a blast working on it restoring it to its former glory. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am finding myself taking her out for a ride on any little excuse I can think of, I forgot how much fun it was to ride a sport bike. I did chop the beaver tail off and add a couple of small flush mount turn signals I had laying around so the back end looks a little cleaner now too, I plan on getting a under tail for it or maybe doing the gen2 tail mod in the future. The weather cooled down after a quick rain shower so I might just grab the jacket and helmet and go for a little ride.

View attachment 1558797

Well, waiting for more pics here,,, i am bored tonite!

Just remember that no one riding with you and cars behind you can not see those signals. That's been my experience anyway. Hand signals :laugh:

Small update:

Most of the parts I got from fellow members have shown up and have been put on. Nothing too big... Bottom wing and bracket, factory dog bones and new bolts, a new brake lever, and mirrors. I for one cant stand riding without mirrors and not having the bottom wing just makes it look like something is missing. I still have a low end stumble in the bike so I will check the TPS again and probably run this tank of fuel out of it and do the external fuel filter mod and install a new pump.

As for paint, I am kinda leaning towards just flat black on the fairings and gloss black the frame, swing arm, rear sets and all the other small parts I can get too. I dont want this bike to be too flashy like my last one but I still want it to look mean. I am thinking about seeing if I can get a couple of personalized tags for my two bikes, my chromed out Fury would say "4 SHOW" and the busa would say "4 GO"

a3881efa.jpg

Yeah I agree that the color combo does look pretty good. Nothing is set in stone yet but it will be getting paint of some sort, I am not a fan of the rashed look.

yeah, what year is it again? my 00 has a low end stumble. i know the external fuel pumps are a problem and what not. im in the process of running a tank of sea foam through it now & it seems to be alittle smoother.

what mods can you do to the pump to fix this?

the throttle is very sensative so i don't think it's the TPS. she stays right at 1000rpm too. (where i adjusted it)

Back