How much should I be paying for a 2004 with 5500 miles??

RickS

Registered
Hi All,

I'm new to hayabusa.org. I read this site extensively about 6 years ago when I almost bout a slightly user 2004 Busa in fantastic condition but had to hold off due to the 1k /year insurance premium I'd be paying out here in NJ. Bought a ZREX instead cause if the insurance break on a naked bike.

Anyway I sold that about 4 years ago due to money issues and now I'm in a position to actually get a Hayabusa. I'm looking @ a 2004 (ins is only $340 for full coverage thru Progressive - what a change! ) with 5500 miles on it. It's in good condition, never been layed down or abused. It just has a couple scratched on the side faring and a small chip in the gas tank paint - i think this is normal for an 8-9 year old bike. 100% stock with new tires on it. Now the guy is looking for $6200 firm for it. From the data I have been able to pull together (ebay -KBB -NADA)this looks a bit on the high side for a 2004.

I know this is the right place to come when looking for the real value of one of these special bikes. Let me know what you guys think. Also - I'm 6'2 and I'm a little cramped up on the bike due to a degenerated knee I'll need replaced soon (I'm 44 - 8 knee surgeries). I see folks have done things like added height to the seat and change out the pegs to lower them a bit. All this would add to the space I need. Anyone else have any ideas on how to get a bit more leg room?

Thx , Rick

Welcome to the oRg. We have a member here that can set you up with Buell pegs and lower your feet. You can also look into heli bars to help straighten you up as well. Seat options will vary. For an 04, call the bank and see what the loan value is and start your price there. For clean condition you can go up, for worse condition you can come down. :beerchug: :welcome:

Welcome to the org and imo if its a clean bike thats not a bad price especially if thats the real mileage, pull a history report on it because mileage sometimes gets changed on them.

I bought a Gen 1 Busa this spring. It seems the common asking price for Gen 1's is about $6500. I found a 2005 that I really wanted. The guy was at $6400 firm. He would not budge. Nothing. Heck, I would have probably bought it if he'd knocked five bucks off, especially since I had to go out of state to get it. I'm always hesitant to deal with "firm" sellers.

I ended up buying a clean 2007 for $5500 (4600 miles). I still had to go out of state, but it was worth it to me.

I think if you are patient, you can find a nice Gen 1 for less than $6000. Maybe much less.

I bought this last night for 5k. 12,000 miles and it's a 04 LE.

image-3447146039.png

Philofab - congrat's man - that's a sweet bike man! Best of luck with it!

Thx for all the input so far everyone. I'm still really on the fence with the '04 that I'm looking @. I know that if I wait I may be able to come up with another nice one a bit cheaper but here in the NY/ NJ area it seems like things are a bit more expensive. Look @ that - I'm trying to justify paying the 6k for it. Too funny.

The real reason I'm looking @ a Busa is my 120 mile round trip commute. I'm looking to start using the bike and add some fun and save a bit on gas money on the daily work trip. . .

Well - I'm open to everyone's opinion on this low mileage '04. It's interesting to get others opinions.

Part of it depends on where you live. What part of the country?

Does it have any extras, like heli bars etc. Is it a Red LE or just standard.

5500 miles means it should have a lot of life left in it.

New tires are around $300.

Good luck.

You are looking for a highly sought after bike in the prime of the riding season. You will pay a premium based on those two items. Prices in my area are normally in the 5500-7500 range for a good condition gen 1.

Could probably do better than 6200, but that isn't outrageous for the bike. If it is a red le, I'd say that price is spot on for this time of year. If you get him in the 5's you would be doing pretty good. He may be into the bike for what he is asking.

Too much IMO, for a thousand more dollars you can find a Gen II. You've stated the bike has scratches and chips in the paint......

Welcome to the Org. I bought my 04 limited with a stage 1 turbo and 8k miles for $8500 last year and its mint. I would not pay more than 5500 for a stock one. The red one is the limited I bought last year.
allthebikes.jpg

With that low of miles I don't think 6k is a bad price, considering everything else is as it should be. I mean... who cares if it's an '04.. or an 07. They're all the exact same bike... It's the peak of the riding season, and while it's a buyers market, you're gonna have to do some digging to find one much cheaper without a million miles on it.

I know that if I wait I may be able to come up with another nice one a bit cheaper but here in the NY/ NJ area it seems like things are a bit more expensive.

you can get a brand new one here in NJ for 10,500. we have some of the lowest prices.

Back