How do people steal most bikes?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
How do thiefs typically steal a bike? Do they how wire it or just lift the bike into a truck or something and drive it off? Where I'm going with this is do things like disc locks really work? Also, if people do usually hot wire the bike would it be easy to put a switch on the power wire to the ECU and just shut it off to secure the bike. Seems that would take a thief too long to find (assuming you were descrete with it). Seems that would be cheaper than some of the complex alarms and maybe more effective as people know those alarms and how to disarm them.

almost nothing can/will stop a determined/experienced thief (well, an armed owner can). at best, deterrents (like disc locks, etc.) make your bike a LESS attractive target since it will SLOW down a thief.
Quickest method I've seen (on youtube) is to haul the bike in the back of a pick up truck. Heck a van was used for this heist...less than 30 seconds

One of our bikes got robbed in Assen at the GP, it was the only bike that hadn't used the steering lock, they just snipped the lock & chain like it was butter an then they just wheeled it into the back of a van.

If they want it bad enough, they are gonna get it. All you can do is slow them down long enough to get them squarely in the crosshairs and get your breathing right :whistle::thumbsup:

well, like stated it only takes seconds to put in a van or the back of a truck. but poping the ignition is the preferred method in my experience. wheel locks and kill switches have certainly worked with many. its not full proof but for the amateur it will stop most.

Lo-Jack is available in Virgina and has over a 90% recovery rate. trust me Lo-Jack works and that 90% recover is exactly what it is. when we get a Lo-Jack hit on a motorcycle its recovered that day almost every time and works far better then GPS locating systems because its radio frequency based and does not rely of satellite tracking which once put into a truck or garage will not work for chit. it works off radio (RF) carrier frequency of 173.075 MHz.

and the beauty of Lo-Jack is once we identify a hit say inside an apartment complex we have hand held Lo-Jack devices that work with in (10) feet so if someone puts it in an elevator and goes up to the 6th floor for example and rolls it into their apartment to strip it we will know which apartment it is.

its a one time install fee and is activated via NCIC when reported stolen to the police. upgraded versions can even notify you if its moved or started.

I had my bike stolen last october along with my buddies gsxr 1000 turns out insurance is a very nice thing be sure to have enough after market part coverage.. I got 11500 out of my 06 busa worth only about 6500 I came out pretty sweet on that deal ...they just picked up our bike and threw them in the back of a truck three good size guys can do this with no problem thats how i used to load my bike but being very careful with it ....if you were in a hurry less than a min

I had someone use a dent puller on my ignition on a fz750, and then use a screw driver to start it up and attempt to drive away. I got VERY lucky, as a bolt that holds the throttle cable on the carbs came loose, and got wedged in the cable, so the throttle would not close. The thief freaked and parked the bike around the corner in the apt complex.

Different levels of thievery, there are your joy riders and opportunist looking for the easy picking and the more prepared thieves. A tracking device with it's own power supply and early warning system are a good companion to the wheel lock and alarm. Soon as the bike is moved outside it's circle, hell if you are at home at the time may even get a chance to let off a few rounds into 'em :whistle:

I have one pound of high explosive wired to an iPhone hidden on my bike.
I'll just wait a bit and give them a call :laugh:

If man invented it, man can get passed it.

Pay your full coverage insurance and dont worry about it.

If I was going to do anything I would hide a small cellular phone in conjuction with a mercury switch and GPS enabled in the bike some where.
One the bike sensed motion it would call me with live updates of the GPS location of the phone hidden in the bike.
And you can make this alarm fairly cheap.

If man invented it, man can get passed it.

Pay your full coverage insurance and dont worry about it.

If I was going to do anything I would hide a small cellular phone in conjuction with a mercury switch and GPS enabled in the bike some where.
One the bike sensed motion it would call me with live updates of the GPS location of the phone hidden in the bike.
And you can make this alarm fairly cheap.

Not in my country,full coverage only covers your bike at that point of market rate.
All accessories will not be compensated,less your stock bike only.

If got stolen at Malaysia my neighbouring country,even worse compensate half of the price only.

I am interested,can you share more links or information about te GPS alarm and etc?

4 men with two long and strong metal poles,2 in front and 2 behind and carry it to their vehicle.

Back