Is the 1199 Hype?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I have been looking at the reviews of the 1199 and I’m not sold. All the reviews proclaim this to be the bike of the future and then it proceeds to get out run, out turned, and out everything on the road & track. I recently spent a few hours waiting in the showroom of a Ducati dealer and studying the bike while waiting for my Busa to be dyno tuned. It’s stunningly beautiful, comfortable to sit on and looks really slick. But is that enough? It looks much more stunning in photos than in person. In person it looks like a really great looking Ducati. I would say that the Aprillia is as beautiful, but it's more like a cool weapon and the Ducati is a beautiful sclupture.

In one review in Bike magazine, the guy was having trouble keeping up with a K6 GSXR1000 with lots of race pieces. I’m thinking did I read that right? In a recent comparison of European superbikes in another magazine it came in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] out of 4, the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] being the MV F4! Also, what’s the point of a V-twin without the low end grunt? The V-twin doesn’t turn as easy due to all that rotational mass, doesn’t rev as high, etc. Ducati seems to have worked against the laws of physics on the 1199 engine but I wouldn’t bet on the long term reliability of pistons cut that much moving at those speeds in the cylinder.

As for the electronics they are awesome. The electronically adjusted shocks are neat, as you can have settings for sport and street switch automatically with mode. That’s really what the fuss seems to be all about – mode switching of the suspension and the color instrument display. But for it all to really be a step forward, they need a sensor on the forks and shock to measure sag and adjust the preload based on the rider weight. Without that, it’s all just a convenient trick.

I still can’t get introducing a new race replica and then not racing it. Isn’t that basically an admission that the bike has issues?

I’m not totally knocking the bike, it’s a really awesome piece of engineering and I applaud Ducati for being the feisty little guy. But the BMW seems to still be the better performer (at a whopping $14,000 less than the top of the line 1199) and the Aprilla seems to have all the wizardry in a package that’s race ready and has a peach of a V-4 engine. I know, when you are in race mode you have to adjust the suspension before setting out on the track – is that really that big of a deal?

And yes, this was written to poke you Ducati loyalists, but it is interesting to look at the current crop of bikes:

1. The BMW is basic, affordable and dominant. How can you find fault in engineering this good at $16K?
2. The Aprilia is like riding a real SBK.
3. The ZX10R is a great, low-key easy to ride bike. In many ways it's like a Suzuki, not a Ninja.
4. The Ducati is a gadgety piece of art that frankly puts performance second.
5. The Honda & Suzuki are the best of a past generation - still formidable and cheap in comparison.

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

from all the complaints I hear of ducati now I would stay away.They went cheap on stuff.They area gorgeous bike but that doesnt make up for issues

I dont think there is any doubt that is one of the best lookn bikes EVER period! although, the MV Agusta F4rr is right up there with the 1199. the last article I read in Sport Rider stated that the new 1199 only made 156 rwhp. for $20+k thats just not impressive enough imo. but I cant see too many chics NOT wanting to be seen on that....:laugh:

its not $14k less more then the BMW. not for the base version. for the R version yes but power wise the BMW seems to make about 20 more hp. big fukn deal imo. but the BMW does seem to win all the shoot outs. I think owning a 1199 is more about image then performance.

I've been, and remain, a Ducati fan. However, I haven't read enough to comment, and I haven't spoken to anyone who owns one. But, I guess it really depends on what you're looking for in a bike. I will say that this Aprilia RSV is one of the best looking and sounding bikes I've ever seen or heard, including my friend's completely tricked-out and almost race-ready 999:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to get a good look at one two weeks ago while shopping for new track boots in Salt Lake. It is by far the sexiest bike I've seen in a while. Looks even cooler in person IMO. S

Well put Arch, I also consider them works of art, if I hit the lottery I would have one of every model in my living room just to look at. They are beautiful.

For all the "frame-less" chassis and a claimed 195 bhp the Panigale surely dosent feel that fast enough. I rode one a few weeks ago and i must say the brakes are absolutely phenomenal , the attention to detail and look was top notch and the electronic wizardly actually works. It even gained speed effortlessly with a very linear power curve but there was no rush. And to simply put , i was not excited to open the throttle and see what happens. Simply put , it had the individual goods but as a package it somehow felt a little short.

I've been, and remain, a Ducati fan. However, I haven't read enough to comment, and I haven't spoken to anyone who owns one. But, I guess it really depends on what you're looking for in a bike. I will say that this Aprilia RSV is one of the best looking and sounding bikes I've ever seen or heard, including my friend's completely tricked-out and almost race-ready 999:
RSV4 with Austin Racing Motogp style exhaust - YouTube[/url]

:drool:Love the sound and looks

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed owning a a Ducati is more about the image. The Ducati is like that really expensive sexy red Ferrari that always gets smoked by a Nissan GTR that's packed with tons of engineering but at just a fraction of the price:whistle:

Ducati=image??? So its the Harley of sportbikes:whistle:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I have a buddy with a 2010 1198 who got out on the demo of the 1199.hated it said he would never get rid of the 1198 for one

:rofl:

I thought this post on that forum was real funny. :laugh:

"Panigale Flambe'. Can you recommend a wine with that??"

I own a 2011 Hayabusa I bought new (15,000 MILES NOW ON IT) and I purchased an 1199 base model for 16 grand new. Seeing it is cold and sh!!ty here in WI I only got to ride it once, put about 30 miles on it. I love it! I can't break 6000 rpm's for the 1st 600 miles so I can't even get into the power band. I have no intentions of getting rid of the Busa, that is my long haul cruiser. I've had other "crotch rocket" and although fun, they are not Ducati's. The Ducati is about fit & finsh, beauty and for some, an image thing. I am in love with the sound and engine characteristics!! Very happy with the purchase thus far. If the bike turns on me or I realize I dont love it, I'll ditch it after the warranty runs out - 2 years unlimited miles!!

Ducati=image??? So its the Harley of sportbikes:whistle:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Yeah pretty much when you really think about.......Overpriced and Underpowered :whistle: Love to look at them but wouldnt want to be stuck footing the bill on 1 or the maintenance fees. Guaranteed I could take all that extra money and go with a BMW or GSXR and trick it out of this world. That Duc wouldnt even be able to see my tail lights after I got done with it :laugh:

I agree pretty bike and if thats what your looking for thats great. Me personally will take performance over looks and the bmw and suzuki arent ugly just my opinion.:laugh:

I am in love with the sound and engine characteristics!!
u mean the marbles bounching around in the engine block?:rofl: thats the only thing that ruins it for me. other then that it is a BJ on wheels I will agree. but reliability is not its strong point tho. after that warranty runs out it gets very expensive!

Back