Crush gasket for drain plug - 2006

Yossif

Registered
I noticed the crush gasket is shaped slightly differently
on one side. Does it matter how you put it on the drain plug ?

:welcome:

You should go ahead and replace the crush washer. They're probably less than a dollar at the dealership.

I already have the gasket - I'm just wondering if it matters
how you put it on because one side is shaped a little different
than the other.
Yossif

I already have the gasket but because it's shaped a little
different on each side I was wondering if it mattered how
you put it on. Both contact surfaces are flat (oil pan and
surface of drain plug) so I assume it doesn't matter.
Just being paranoid

Theoretically, your supposed to replace them every oil change. In reality, they are a PITA to change, and in my case, leak after you do. I had to cut mine in 2 pieces with a Dremel to get it off. Then, after I put the new one on and torqued the drain bolt to the recommended 192 in.lbs (16 ft lbs), it leaked. After loosening and re-torquing the drain bolt a few times (making the crush washer like the one that took me an hour to cut off), it quit leaking.
Have never changed it again. Light smear of clear RTV on the bolt, proper torque, no more drips.

get a copper crush washer that seals on the outisde diameter of the bolt head / drain plug ....14mm or so at autozone 3 to a pack....kn 138 filters too

years ago, I got an aluminum oil plug with a rubber O-ring seated in it. It is also pre-drilled for safety wiring. And on top of that, since it's aluminum, it is less likely to strip the threads of your oil pan should you apply to much torque. I think it was on Chaparral Motorsports - Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Gear, or I'm sure other places carry something similar. I've never replace the rubber O-ring - still looks like new, and never leaked.

I just(feb. 2012) replaced my stock plug and gasket on my 06. After 6 years and many oil changes it never leaked. I changed it because the head was a little beat up, but still very usable. I've never been one to change gaskets every oil change, never had a problem.

3 years with my 06 and now 3 years with my 09, neither have ever been changed and never a drip leaked.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I've been back and forth with these things. On some of my vehicles, I never changed it once and it was fine. On others, I have to change it everytime or it leaks like a sieve. Hit or miss really. I've been known to cut my own gasket from rubberized felt material on the real hard to seal ones, works everytime.

I would say that if it's deformed, go ahead and change it.

I buy a new crush washer each time I buy the oil filter they just tape it to the box. that extra 95 cents gives me the piece of mind when I am tightening my drain plug thinking.............. that doenst seem tight enough but I dont want to buy another oil pan. Crush washers act as a sealer and a lock washer.

200.gif

Back