Looking for answers from Gen 1 owners that swapped to the Gen 2

sweet tea man

Registered
I am going to be in the market again for a motorcycle later this year after I finish the kitchen remodel. I had a 2006 and loved it, however they are getting harder and harder to find with low miles and unmolested. So Im considering looking at the Gen 2s. Ive never sat or rode on the Gen 2s, so my knowledge of them is very minimal. What are some of your likes and dislikes about the Gen 2 coming from the Gen 1? What are some of the new options and improvements made from the gen 1? all help is appreciated guys. thanks

Jeremy

To me the seat isn't exactly as comfy, very close, but not exactly as comfy. A little more heat on the inside of the right thigh. More power, better suspension, better brakes, just push start to crank. trunk is smaller.

I love my Gen II would not go back.

I'm rushed, others will be along

My 1st Busa was an 01 then sold it for another bike. When I was ready to get back on a Busa....easy choice/only option: Gen II. In short, it is an improvement over the 1st gen.
WARNING: this question comes up a lot and expect to get a 50/50 split in opinion....with gen I owners swearing its a better bike and expectedly, Gen II owners stating the opposite.

I love my Gen I, and I have ridden my friend's Gen II... I like them both but the Gen I seems "lighter" to me. By that I mean I it feels more nimble than the Gen II but it may also be my set up and preferences. :thumbsup: But either way they are both great machines.

Some well made points so far!!
For me its really the looks. The Gen II just looks sleeker, curvier and so much more sexy!!!
I tell ya, it makes more than my nipples hard!!
What? TMI?

Loved my 06. My 09 is better in every way. A much more refined version of the same bike.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I have road the Gen 1 and have the Gen II and like it much better. My 08 seems to be much smoother around 80 or 90. You can change things and make it comfy for you and you can do a trunk mod to get more room there as well. You can also be seen better from behind on the Gen II and you only have the one little tail light on the Gen 1. I hated the exhaust on mine and changed it. Not sure what they were thinking when they did that :laugh: Over all for me the Gen II is the better of the 2 but I have spent a lot to make it my own. No doubt you will be happy with the Gen II if you get one. If you had a friend that would let you ride one for a day or two would be great but not sure anyone would let it go for that long :laugh:. Best of luck

for me its the looks also....i like the gen1 looks better; but i like the dash and the other upgrades the gen 2 offers just not the way it looks.

I rode a Gen II for a long weekend and it seemed a lot bigger and just "more," although a bit numb feeling to me. Don't like the styling much. I think the the Gen I is the iconic bike and for what comparatively little more you get with the 2, I'll keep my 1. It feels lighter and more tuned in, but I've ridden a 1 for five years and only put a few hundred miles on a 2. Both are great bikes; the first edition is getting harder to find unmolested or wadded as one poster said above. But you can see that Suzuki made a serious attempt to upgrade some things on the Gen II with mixed results.

Gen2 is a great bike. Only thing I personally don't care for on a Gen 2 is the rear. Gen2 has everything the Gen1 has with improvements. They both use the same frame. Gen 2 had a couple recalls, but nothing major.

i had a gen 1 and now a gen 2. it sits about the same as for comfort to me but everything else is differently better. better brakes. better smoother power and more power. better shifting. yes it gets hotter on ur legs but that can be fixed with a full exhaust and tune. i will never go back to a gen 1. gen 2 i cant get enough of. ive got 3000 miles on my new gen2 in a matter of 2 or 3 months

Have had 2 Gen I's(the '03 for 8 years)and just bought a 2011 last Nov.It's definitely more refined than the Gen I(faster,smoother,etc.)and can be cleaned up with a few mods.To each his own,but given a choice i'd keep my Gen II.

Stock...

newbike018.jpg

newbike020.jpg

After a few mods...

newbike001.jpg

newbike003-1.jpg

I bought a 2005 busa new blk & gray rode it until 5/18/12 i put 55,200 miles on her may 18th i got a new left over 2011 busa blk it has almost 4000 miles on it now the diffence in the bikes is gen1 is more comfy,trunk is bigger,like the bolt on fairings (vs) clip style fairings, mpg gauge i liked, body style which ever a person likes. puts off alot of heat between your legs(gen2) I liked the rear axle on the gen1 better(cotter pin through nut & axle) NOW THE GEN2 more power,alot better brakes, better handleing,love the new dash with gear display,shift light,SMOOTH TRANSMISSION,mode selecter:thumbsup: this will be the last busa i buy for a very long time even if they make a gen3 someday i just don,t need more of a bike than what i have yes i could have got a zx14r but i choose the old slow busa!:laugh::laugh:

Everything complained about on the Gen I was corrected. Better transmission , you don't hear complaints about 2nd gear on this bike. I was use to the power of the Gen I, after 4 years I still haven't reached that level of comfort with twisting the wrist on the Gen II. Maybe one day. Shift Light, Shift Indicator, Much improved lighting. I have not and will not upgrade the headlights on the gen II. The hump comes modified......haven't heard much about that. My hump stayed in the box under my bed until a few months ago. That's when i discovered it. On board adjustments for RPM and shift light. Cooling, no one will complain about the Gen II cooling system. Everything was fixed.

You guys that don't like the arse. Good because you'll see a lot of it :oh:

:laugh:

I've owned 3 GENIs and 2 GENIIs. Hands down the GENII is a better choice.
I, however, do NOT like the snap together farings!
I'm thinking about grinding off my clips and drilling holes, like the GENIs.

I have both in the garage right now.

Gen-II is way better. Gripes are the color schemes suck, tail is goofy, but you get used to it. The plastic sucks to work with and get off. :(
Gen-I looks dated, but I still love the paint scheme and look of my '00 blue silver. Can't bring myself to sell it.

Modding the pants off the Gen-II & having a ball, shot over 700 pics so far of the transformation from bone stock '08 to the Ultimate Sport-Touring Machine:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/pashnitbusa-com/146457-modding-new-pashnit-busa.html

Couple days ago...

7411450118_55d4cc113f_b.jpg

...AND a couple days ago.

7390813680_e466ff8c95_b.jpg

7390825572_96b10ddef8_b.jpg

i have a Gen I but have ridden with lots of friends that have Gen II's...they all love the bike and there seems to have been several improvements...the only thing i see that i absolutely hate other than the tail is the headlights, there is only one adjustment option which affects the high and low beam together...the only way to get the high beam set where i would want it is to aim the low beam much too high...other than that, Suzuki seems to have done a decent job

I have both in the garage right now.

Gen-II is way better. Gripes are the color schemes suck, tail is goofy, but you get used to it. The plastic sucks to work with and get off. :(
Gen-I looks dated, but I still love the paint scheme and look of my '00 blue silver. Can't bring myself to sell it.

Modding the pants off the Gen-II & having a ball, shot over 700 pics so far of the transformation from bone stock '08 to the Ultimate Sport-Touring Machine:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/pashnitbusa-com/146457-modding-new-pashnit-busa.html

Couple days ago...

7411450118_55d4cc113f_b.jpg

...AND a couple days ago.

7390813680_e466ff8c95_b.jpg

7390825572_96b10ddef8_b.jpg

Don't sell your 2000. It is beautiful. I have a copper and would love to find a mint blue 2000!

I own both and hands down Gen 11's are better bikes. Only thing I hate is the heat the Gen 11s put out on the legs. I think the Gen 1s look better

Back