Brake maintenance question

superchargedv8

Registered
Im curious as to what is the proper way to do a brake job on a gen 1 busa. My bike needs brakes, do i just remove and replace or do the rotors have to get prepped for the new pads or what??? The pads are low but no metal to metal contact has occurred. Im more of a car guy so I'm just wondering what the correct procedure for a bike is....THNX!

o and btw what is a good pad for daily driving and track use? ill be getting a set of braided lines later this month to change everything out all at once.

im in the same boat, front & rear.. looking for comments aswell!

edit im 100000% sure we need speed bleeders though :laugh:

I'd get a Mity-Vac brake bleeder (Autozone has them but under a different name for like $29.99, Harbor Freight has em, eBay, etc)

Pads are easy, just take old ones out and replace new ones. I usually clean the caliper while it's apart too, and sand the pins with high grit sand paper so they operate smoothly.
Cleaning:
Pads Install and Cleaning Youtube2 - YouTube[/url]

You must "bed" in the new pads to the rotors. From Galfer: "Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

Bleeding is per the manual, which is available online (simple google search). Replace lines, replace, bleed using DOT4 only per the Mity-Vac or hayabusa manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get a Mity-Vac brake bleeder (Autozone has them but under a different name for like $29.99, Harbor Freight has em, eBay, etc)

Pads are easy, just take old ones out and replace new ones. I usually clean the caliper while it's apart too, and sand the pins with high grit sand paper so they operate smoothly.
Cleaning:
Pads Install and Cleaning Youtube2 - YouTube[/url]

You must "bed" in the new pads to the rotors. From Galfer: "Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

Bleeding is per the manual, which is available online (simple google search). Replace lines, replace, bleed using DOT4 only per the Mity-Vac or hayabusa manual.

thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
i can do the swap without a problem i was just unaware if any prep had to go into the rotor when new pads are installed but i guess the breaking in of the pads is what takes care of that......as far as how many miles the brakes have I'm unsure because the bike is relatively new to me since i just bought it not too long ago. All I'm doing is going thru the bike and doing maintenance on whatever needs to be changed out that way i can ride without any worries for a while.

EBC Extreme Pro front. Take you're time on the rear and remember how it came apart.

Back