new to motorcycles, first official ride on this thing

Busa Rookie

Banned
ok guys, so i went against a few & bought my 2000 for a first bike.. just went for my first ride wich ended up being 50 miles AND I HAVE SOME COMPLAINTS

1.. bugs taste bad
2.. carpal tunnel sucks
3.... racoons suck too

i had mommy/baby run straight out infront of me :moon:

but seriously. 47.4mpg & 52.2mile ride is making me a super super happy owner!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

1. wearing a helmet will fix that
2. gloves should dampen the vibrations a bit and at the same time add protection
3. braided brake lines and some good brake pads will offer better braking

other than that....ride defensively and have fun:thumbsup:

yeah, being first ride/motorcycle ride literally... inexperianced & more of a learning experiance on what i'd need for next time.. will definatly get some gloves/full face

My 04 was my first road bike. The MPG will go down next season when you get the feel for the throttle :laugh: I've had it since 06. It's got a 42 tooth rear sprocket on it and I usually get low's 30's for mileage. I put Heli Bar's on mine and a cut seat and my hand's feel alot better. I have been an auto tech for over 20 year's and my wrist's and hand's hurt most of the time. Have fun on the new bike :thumbsup:

yeah, being first ride/motorcycle ride literally... inexperianced & more of a learning experiance on what i'd need for next time.. will definatly get some gloves/full face

the key i think is to go slow and cautiously anytime cars are crossing in front of you or pulling out like near intersections, neighborhoods, bars at night where you know people are gunna be drinking....pretty much just common sense....get a feel for the bike and what it can and can't do and be safe on it.....o yeah never EVER assume someone is going to stop or wait till you pass or similar things like that always try to be ready for every possible outcome. I'm on my 4th busa, my first bike ever was a busa

yeah i love it! gotta change the oil/pads but she runs so nice/smooth but definatly doesnt like going 35mph. lol

If that statement is true - then you are riding WITHOUT a license to ride :rulez: Not cool if you get caught for any reason, even if it's not your fault. :banghead:

If you haven't already, buy some good motorcycle books and read magazines and of course this forum. Twist of the Wrist is one good one. Many others too.

Get a full face helmet ASAP. If you fall with less then a full face you will/may break your neck. No kidding. If you have ever watched motorcycle racing you will
never see anyone with less than a full face helmet. Are you wearing a leather jacket? Don't think "I'm new so I will be taking it really easy" so your not in danger. I have heard many stores about someone only going to the store a couple blocks away and had a crash. If you knew you were going to have an accident you wouldn't even get on your bike, but because you don't know, you have to prepare. If you are just starting out you need to create Good habits now and use gear on every ride. If it's too hot to wear gear then don't ride! If you don't have enough money to buy the proper stuff - get a small loan !!

One tip is to avoid gravel and sand if at all possible if not go very slow through it.

You have a lot to learn as any new rider does, I wish you well. You will never know it all - I know I don't and I have been riding over 20 years.

^^^some good points there!!^^^
also troll Craigslist and other bike forums to shop for gear!! We got people on here selling their riding gear cheap!!
The only thing I would never skimp on or buy used is a helmet.
Do some online research on diffrent helmet makers. There are some pretty decent helmets for people on a budget!

said it before and gonna say it again.....................please attend an MSF course or something before you go "practice/learn" on the road where you put yourself AND OTHERS at risk. :please:

A 2000 and you didn't go for 200 :laugh: Full face helmet, you'll have trouble breathing beyond 130 I think :laugh: You need to read all the threads complaining about aches and pains.

never let the battery get weak and try to crank it is my only headup. ride and be safe. proper gear, and proper paperwork make for a good ride..

Any of the sponsors on here will give you some great deals on anything you need. Helibars and bradded lines are money well spent. Be safe and enjoy

yeah just picked up a full face helm, & yeah no liscense.. i need practice before im attempting figure 8s.. thnaks for all the tips!
this bike rides so nice.

yeah just picked up a full face helm, & yeah no liscense.. i need practice before im attempting figure 8s.. thnaks for all the tips!
this bike rides so nice.

Glad you got the helmet. Went on a ride up one of the passes with bad roads a couple years ago and came up a an accident scene. A Harley rider went down and the state patrol were finishing their investigation so my buddy and I stopped to talk to them. They claimed he went down and only had a open face helmet on, but he slid down the road on his face. They said that he didn't have a face left after that and was airlifted to Seattle (100 miles away) to save his life. I believed them after I saw the giant pool of blood circled on the road. NEVER USE A OPEN FACE HELMET!!!!!! I always tell that to everyone I talk to that uses one, it ain't worth it!

If you remember to keep your arms bent at the elbows a little it will stop you from resting on the arms. You hold yourself on a motorcycle with your legs and abs, you don't rest on your arms. This may sound a little weird but think about it. Your arms are supposed to be giving control inputs - you can't do that as well if they are supporting your weight. It will take some time to build stamina on the bike - don't over do it as the risk goes way up when you are tired.

I won't talk about the license, insurance, proper equipment, etc. One thing I will point out though: Many people don't get full insurance thinking the other guy will pay if
they I get hit. So far none of the 2 people that caused me to go down have even stopped. My insurance paid for all of that including medical.

Holy freaking crap. Mid-40+ mpg? First time I filled mine up I got about 32! :D Glad you ditched the jaw breaker, are you actually going to take this bike to get your license though? I mean there are people that can handle these things well but, lets face it, the turning radius isn't exactly tight and it's kind of a heavy thing.

To put it bluntly, OP - you're a fkn idiot.

Get an instructor.

Get a licence.

Get some practice on something that's less likely to kill you e.g. SV650 for at least 6 months. You currently do not have any muscle memory which is a pre-requisite for riding something like a Busa safely.

Back