What is the threshold of nasty?

Trout

Registered
At risk of sounding like sleepless_red, "I rode 415 miles yesterday," although my ride started at 9:30 am rather than 3:30 am. Ha Ha.

I rode the back roads over to Baker City, checked out the short line RR at Sumpter and McEwen, then came home by way of Hells Canyon, etc. I made a few observations and have a few questions.

I shift this bike like an old big block Chevy. It gets the job done at 3000-4000 rpms. Without looking at the tach, I can tell exactly when I get to 4800 rpm's. The whole bike takes on more of a buzz. It's as if 4800 is the resonant frequency of the power train. Does your Gen 1 vibrate noticably more once you approach 5000?

I will admit that I've never gone to the redline. The bike is mild mannered and predictable at the rpm's I typically maintain. What do you consider the threshold of nasty? At what point does your bike switch to the alter ego? Do you cross this threshold on the street? Very often? For what purpose?

A couple other observations... I made 214 miles before the low fuel light came on. This is a new record for me. Of course, I already calculated that the Japanese odometer is high by 5%, so I really only made 203 American miles to low fuel. I'm going to use a Japanese ruler the next time I measure my... well, nevermind.

This was the first day with my new Vista Cruise. That sounds like a cheesy name for a bicycle. It's a throttle lock that mostly works. It's a little quirky, but even still, it's 100 times more useful than the Throttlemeister I had on my last bike. I'm going to keep it.

You sir need to wring that girl out! I do it often and just because I can and want to. I pick and choose my hooligan locations...getting on the interstate is one of my favorites. Going WOT from first through fourth is like being on the space shuttle during lift off. Keeping the front end on or near the ground can be challenging, do beware.
Back to the why...because it is a high performance sport bike and that is where she is happy and bread for. As tame as she may be way low, she is one vicious unforgiving man eater if ever allowed to get out of control. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Gen 1s have a buzz in the 4500-5000 range. Turn the throttle a bit more and it smoothsout.

8000 is about where the b!tch in her really wakes up:beerchug:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I second that, to put the two threads together, yes trout, approaching 5000 RPM she starts to shake a little, but I think that's her way of saying, "give me more!" Because past maybe 7000 RPM she settles down and smoothes right out! And like Chef said, over 8000 is where the fun starts!! She pulls HARD up there but seems perfectly happy doing so!! Nothing beats going from 1st to 2nd at 10--11,000 RPM and feeling the front end bouncing up and down like a yo-yo!! Be safe but LET 'ER STRETCH ER LEGS OUT!! :beerchug:

Whoever says his bike has never seen redline has done 500 burnouts and made 2000 passes at the local track :laugh:

Thank goodness our bikes have a revlimiter......i have been there so many time in the last 11 years...that i am skocked it hasn't blown up.... I am soon 61 and total non BS'er..... Just saying Yo!!! too quote Breaking Bad.... vibes do come around 5k....after that she's pulling so hard you don't have time to pay attention to some vibes coming through... :laugh:

what is this yoyo affect you talk about hahahaha i love having that much power' like being strapped to a rocket:cheerleader::cheerleader:

I second that, to put the two threads together, yes trout, approaching 5000 RPM she starts to shake a little, but I think that's her way of saying, "give me more!" Because past maybe 7000 RPM she settles down and smoothes right out! And like Chef said, over 8000 is where the fun starts!! She pulls HARD up there but seems perfectly happy doing so!! Nothing beats going from 1st to 2nd at 10--11,000 RPM and feeling the front end bouncing up and down like a yo-yo!! Be safe but LET 'ER STRETCH ER LEGS OUT!! :beerchug:

Agree i got the buzz around 4500, nowadays mine starts hitting like a train around 4500-5000 and up.

Guy at bike night was asking about my 1441 and to quote my brother "Its a perfectly normal bike up to about 5krpm, anything past 5k adn your getting into some s..."

At risk of sounding like sleepless_red, "I rode 415 miles yesterday," although my ride started at 9:30 am rather than 3:30 am. Ha Ha.

I rode the back roads over to Baker City, checked out the short line RR at Sumpter and McEwen, then came home by way of Hells Canyon, etc. I made a few observations and have a few questions.

I shift this bike like an old big block Chevy. It gets the job done at 3000-4000 rpms. Without looking at the tach, I can tell exactly when I get to 4800 rpm's. The whole bike takes on more of a buzz. It's as if 4800 is the resonant frequency of the power train. Does your Gen 1 vibrate noticably more once you approach 5000?

I will admit that I've never gone to the redline. The bike is mild mannered and predictable at the rpm's I typically maintain. What do you consider the threshold of nasty? At what point does your bike switch to the alter ego? Do you cross this threshold on the street? Very often? For what purpose?

A couple other observations... I made 214 miles before the low fuel light came on. This is a new record for me. Of course, I already calculated that the Japanese odometer is high by 5%, so I really only made 203 American miles to low fuel. I'm going to use a Japanese ruler the next time I measure my... well, nevermind.

This was the first day with my new Vista Cruise. That sounds like a cheesy name for a bicycle. It's a throttle lock that mostly works. It's a little quirky, but even still, it's 100 times more useful than the Throttlemeister I had on my last bike. I'm going to keep it.
My absolute favorite thing about my 04LE busa is the low end grunt. I love being able to short shift and keep the rpms down when I want, even with my wife on back, and have all the power I need and then some. Plus I can usually stay in 1 gear for alot of my corner carving while my riding buds are shifting like crazy :laugh:

The one thing I was a little suprised at with my busa was the lack of a big "power hit" in the upper rpms. It just keeps pulling harder as the revs climb, but more like an electric motor than a typical high revving sportbike engine. I was slightly bummed that I didn't get a big hit upstairs like my kawi's had given me in the past, but I think the strong low end just masks the power hit upstairs, unlike the kawi's I'd owned that had softer low ends but "seemed" to hit harder upstairs because of that.
One thing the busa is tho, is sneaky fast.......so be careful when you do start winding her up.
And yep, all busa's have a buzz around 47-4800....nature of the beast

Back